Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Far Cry 5

Platform
    XBOX1 X

Far Cry 5

Is anyone else looking forward to Far Cry 5? I think for me this might become the next big non-racing singleplayer game after Horizon Zero Dawn and Assassin's Creed Origins in 2017. I have played every previous Far Cry title to some extend and still remember how the first Far Cry was really special back in the days: when every other singleplayer FPS game was set in dark spooky indoor dungeons and corridors, Far Cry was mainly set outdoors on a lush sunny tropical island and included a bit more stealth and tactical approach compared to your average run-and-gun shooter. I think it is that lush outdoor setting that really inspired games like the Uncharted series into what they have become later on.
    Far Cry 2 was set in an African savanna but at that point my PC was not up for the technical specs so I only played the demo a little, but I remember setting whole areas of grass on fire was the tech showcase of the game. Far Cry 3 I finished completely on PC and Far Cry 4 I played about halfway through. I got Far Cry Primal in 2016 for my XBox One and not so long ago bought Far Cry 4 GOTY edition on the XBox One as well but both haven't gotten much gameplay time yet.
    And so Far Cry 5 is around the corner, the world looks absolutely gorgeous and is a HUGE step up from Far Cry 3 & 4 (which both looked really great back in their days as well). I've been watching some FC5 gameplay footage lately and I think I'm sold, I haven't pre-ordered it yet since I want some more info first on the obvious stuff first like micro-transactions, loot boxes and other such crap, but this could become a day one purchase for me, even though I had sworn to not do that anymore. But so far I liked what I saw, the dev team is Ubisoft Montreal, the same studio that also created Assassin's Creed Origins and judging by the layout of the landscape and villages it has the same high quality graphics and level of detail for the world it is set in as Assassin's Creed Origins. What interests me the most in the game is the absolutely gorgeous landscape of Montana brought to live with beautiful graphics and lighting/shading effects with a full day-night cycle. But also the country music of the soundtrack looks really refreshing compared to what you usually get in games. And then there is the gameplay, it's been a while since I played an FPS game in an open world so in contrast to the 3rd person action RPGs I played lately this will be refreshing as well. And the guns/fangs for hire system looks really interesting too.

Far Cry 5 was initially set for a February 27th release but it got pushed back to March 27th to further polish up the game. There have been 2 community live stream events from the official Ubisoft US channel which are a nice source of gameplay info. I linked that below together with the announcement trailer.

community livestream #1 (aug 2017): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00jS1RsekdA
    community livestream #2 (jan 2018) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8iiwNaJf7s
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Konan, OddTimer, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Original Far Cry was one of my all time favourites, like you say the swaying palm trees and beaches were, well, a far cry from Doom style endless corridors. I'll never forget the time I had dispatched a bunch of baddies in the jungle, thinking I'd got rid of every one of them, only to hear my jeep fire up behind me, I spun round ready to fire off a few rounds only to find it was two bush pigs that had got in the jeep and were driving it back to the road. That actually happened. Great game, full of imagination.
    i5-6600K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/16Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 4 users likes this Post: breyzipp, Konan, Raklodder, Tank621

Platform
    XBOX1
    Far Cry 2 was just released for backwards compatiblity a week or two ago on Xbox One so I might have to have another playthrough of that as that is one of my most favourite single player games of the last generation of gaming

I skipped 3 but played maybe just under half of 4 (I did almost all the side quests on the 1st half of the map). I enjoyed it alot but it seemed a bit overly complicated compared to Far Cry 2. All of the crafting and shopping seemed a bit of a faff in my opinion (spending over half an hour throwing bait into the woods to get the right skin for my next upgrade is not fun) so I hope that has been toned down a little.

Far Cry 2 was simple the only thing along those lines was buying your next gun of choice and that is why I think I enjoyed it so much. It's simplicity was great for being very flexible with your style of play if you want to pick off enemies from a distance, sneak in and silently make your way to the objective or light them up with a .50 Cal on the back of a truck it was your choice. Always.
    4 on the other hand had missions that took that freedom away from the player and I don't think that is in the spirit of the Far Cry series

That is not to say I didn't enjoy 4 it was a fun game but 2 is definitely my favourite

Anyhow the whole setting and storyline of Far Cry 5 looks very interesting and flying planes is always a plus for me, I will definitely pick it up on release
    Car Photos Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...rs-you-spotted
    Tank Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nk-s-Tank-talk
    Xbox Gamertag: tankbuster621
    Steam: Tank621
    The following 2 users likes this Post: breyzipp, Konan

Platform
    PC
    Yeah looking forward to start playing although I’m very busy with AC:O at the moment. Still lots and lots and lots and lots to do and explore.
    Steam: Olijke Poffer CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming 11 GB | Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 2550x1440 | Controller:Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite pedals with loadcell brake & TH8A Shifter| Misc: Oculus Rift , Playseat Evolution , Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank621 View Post
    Anyhow the whole setting and storyline of Far Cry 5 looks very interesting and flying planes is always a plus for me, I will definitely pick it up on release
    Yeah I agree the airplanes and helicopters are cool, really looking forward to them but more to just get a view from above on the game world rather than actually using them in combat. I've been really spoiled with AC Origins using Senu to take a look at the game world from above. Not only does it give breathtaking views from the skies, but it also makes you appreciate the design and layouts of towns much more, not to mention finding it easier to memorize them. Yesterday I started playing some of that Far Cry 4 on my Xbox and as soon as I went past the tutorial/opening part and ended up in the first camp, the first thing I wanted to do was to look at that camp and the nearby area from the sky.

I found a YouTube channel where you can find some FC5 gameplay videos without comment so you can really get an idea of the sound FX in the game and some of the NPC chatter & quests. I'll only link 1 video (including some nighttime gameplay) but there is more on his channel.

What is also spot-on in FC5 IMO is the colour and lighting, this is ooh so important to make a game world believable and Ubisoft Montreal is absolutely great in doing so, both in AC Origins and in FC5 it seems. When lighting and shading goes completely wrong in an HDR game it's butt-ugly, just watch some Forza 6 video footage of daylight races, it is as if the cars are floating over the tarmac in a very dull way.
    Last edited by breyzipp; 29-01-2018 at 20:46.
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Konan, Olijke Poffer, Tank621

Platform
    XBOX1
    Seems like you need to try the Gyrocopter in Far Cry 4
    Car Photos Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...rs-you-spotted
    Tank Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nk-s-Tank-talk
    Xbox Gamertag: tankbuster621
    Steam: Tank621

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank621 View Post
    Seems like you need to try the Gyrocopter in Far Cry 4
    Hmmm now that you mention it, I vaguely remember something about that. But haven’t found one yet since I just got started.

Couldn’t these break down or start stuttering in mid air as well? Or was that FC3 maybe.
    The following user likes this Post: Tank621

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Preordered months ago...
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!

Forum rules please read: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1355858
    The following 2 users likes this Post: breyzipp, Olijke Poffer

Platform
    PC
    I also miss the good old days of Far Cry (2004) it was a real fps, with cheesy story (nowadays it's only drama and QTE) loads of guns and action.
    Last edited by Raklodder; 30-01-2018 at 12:27.
    PRIME Z270A | i5-7600K @ 4.7GHz | 16GB @ 3200MHz | RX580 (8GB) @ 1390/2200MHz | G920 with GTEYE springs and H-shifter
    The following 2 users likes this Post: breyzipp, pa_pinkelman

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    Preordered months ago...
    Nice! What edition did you get? And does anyone know if the season pass of a Far Cry game is worth it? The description seems to hint it’s for “additional stories, content and gear” so I don’t even know if that means the map will be expanded. There are 4 signature gear in all the editions though, I even had to google that to remember again what it was. And aah yeah, the stronger versions of existing weapons which I really liked in FC3.

- signature van (comes with the Doomsday prepper preorder bonus)
    - signature 1911 handgun (deluxe edition)
    - signature assault rifle (deluxe edition)
    - signature sniper rifle (gold edition)

Not sure how a van can be signature since signature means more than just cosmetics. Maybe it will be a bit faster than a normal van, or maybe it will be the only van in the game since I haven’t seen any van yet in the gameplay footage. Or maybe it will have a turret on top or something. Hello A-Team!

I don’t want any physical edition, these are the prices on the Xbox store:
    Standard 69.99 EUR
    Deluxe 71.99 EUR instead of 79.99 EUR (Xbox live gold membership discount)
    Gold 89,99 EUR

I’d initially say deluxe edition and buy the season pass later if I want it. But that also means missing the signature sniper rifle. So I’m leaning towards gold edition atm.

On the PlayStation store the prices are exactly the same but the signature sniper rifle isn’t listed as part of the gold edition but it should be there as well.
    The following user likes this Post: Konan