Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you race in this lobby?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Would you race in this lobby?

I'm thinking of a dedicated server configuration that would allow for 10 minute races, no qualifying, no practice with a rotation of about 7-10 car/track combos.
    safety rated to something like C or D, but more of a Forza style so you can get some variety and multiple races in without the heavy time commitment of a practice, qualy, and race where each session takes quite a bit of time.

post some comments if you're up for something like this. many times i want to hop on and run for 30minutes or an hour and i spend 15 minutes trying to find a lobby, and at least the remainder driving in and out of the pits, warming up tires, blah blah. don't get me wrong, i love long and full race formats when i have time, but sometimes i just want to run a few races against real people and not worry so much about all the other stuff.

thoughts?
    Ultimate budget vr rig: i5-2500, 8gigs ram, 1050ti, 550watt psu. total cost: $375. Fanatec Forza CSR wheel, CSL Elite loadcell pedals, Fanatec sequential/H pattern shifter. Golf GTI "racing seat"

Platform
    PC
    If it's straight to race, then people have to join and wait in a lobby until they feel enough people are in before starting the race, it doesn't work so well, imo, I might be wrong though.

A period of qualifying (even 10 mins) gives it time to show on the browser, time for people to consider it and can also make it attractive if say 10 people are already doing laps. Its better to be doing some laps / driving than it is waiting / hoping for people join and not leave again before getting into the action.

Just my 2c.
    RWB Racing International

Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals CS Shifter, Rift CV1 / 4K XB321HK / Triple XB271HU 1440p screens. i9 9900k, 32gb Ram, 2080ti, Samsung m2 ssd, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, Throne Thumper, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe, Rseat S1
    The following 4 users likes this Post: davidt33, hotak, Krobo, poirqc

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    yeah, that's the problem with the idea, but that's how forza lobbies used to work.

shrug
    Ultimate budget vr rig: i5-2500, 8gigs ram, 1050ti, 550watt psu. total cost: $375. Fanatec Forza CSR wheel, CSL Elite loadcell pedals, Fanatec sequential/H pattern shifter. Golf GTI "racing seat"

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Could be a fun idea, but I wouldn't join that server.

I haven't driven all of the cars on this game, so I'm totally unfamiliar with some cars.
    Skipping practice and qualification would mean I have no time to become familiar with the cars, meaning I wouldn't know how to properly drive a particular car but more important, I wouldn't know where the breaking points are.
    Now add 10-15 people who are also not familiar with that car and you end up with carnage on the track.

Plus, I don't drive short races without qualifying. Start in the back of the grid with people who don't know how to drive a car and you can imagine what will happen at the first corner.
    After that, there's likely no way to catch up with the leaders in a 10 minute race.
    The following user likes this Post: DubAyyys

Platform
    XBOX1
    I also think the 'forza approach' is terrible. First, short races lead to a 'rush' mentality which makes the usual T1 problem even worse. Second, you basically want your grid order based on your pace. Random grids lead to even more chaos besides the rush mentality and T1 mayhem.
    Last edited by rich1e I; 30-01-2018 at 14:43.

Platform
    PC
    Might give it a go with a high enough safety rating, but I think a pre race warm up session is needed even if it’s short. This games a little more complicated than formal!
    Pc, thrustmaster TX, TH8a, fanatec v3i pedals, wheel stand pro v2
    Mobo - asus crosshair v formula z gaming, 24gb ddr3 ram 1600mhz, amd 8320 8 core @ 4.2 ghz, gtx 1070.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    the point is to provide a quick multiplayer fix, i know it's not forza.. maybe if it was common classes and tracks ?

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    If it's a bit common, I would join, it's fun trying to make up your ground even if you start from the last places in a race. Or if it's at least the same 5-6 different classes cycling through, in this case I would do some practice to learn how to drive those and then enter your lobby. But I never join servers with cars that i have no experience with.

Another important thing for joining such a race with random order is using a good safety ranking requirement, but you already mentioned you plan to do that, so it all sounds good to me.
    The following user likes this Post: bloozmahn

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    maybe i'll try a gt3 rotating with spa,monza,silverstone and nurb gp?

Platform
    PC
    At the end of the day, you will soon know what works and what doesn't, it's not as if your initial choices will be set in stone

The more active lobbies online, the better
    RWB Racing International

Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals CS Shifter, Rift CV1 / 4K XB321HK / Triple XB271HU 1440p screens. i9 9900k, 32gb Ram, 2080ti, Samsung m2 ssd, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, Throne Thumper, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe, Rseat S1
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem