Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zakspeed Capri Tune question

WMD Member

Zakspeed Capri Tune question

Hello,

I am just beginning to enter the world of tuning and have a question.

The problem is that I am trying to counter-act the side force when the turbo on the Capri kicks in.

I basically loose control when this happens. The side force kicks my rear end to the right. Only on straightaways, when accelerating. On curves, there doesn't seem to be problem. I am heavy on the throttle and I understand that is the majority of the problem. But, if I am more "delicate" with the acceleration, I keep the car under control-but loose a lot of time off my laps.

This is what I've done after reading some similar posts here:

Turned the Viscous LSD to ON

Power and Coast Ramps - this is my question. I read the description, it's in my native language, and I really do not understand what's it is saying.

In order to reduce my side force issues - would I INCREASE the ramp angels or REDUCE the angels? I tried both. I think that I feel more control when I INCREASE the angel on both settings. But I'm not sure. I have a slightly better lap time when I reduce the angel, but I have lost control a few times.

What is the proper direction for the Power/Coast Ramp settings to reduce the effects of side force?

or am I totally wrong thinking that these settings will help?

Thanks!
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Gigabyte X99M Gaming 5 Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40 Ghz
    RAM 16 GB
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrown119 View Post
    Hello,

I am just beginning to enter the world of tuning and have a question.

The problem is that I am trying to counter-act the side force when the turbo on the Capri kicks in.

I basically loose control when this happens. The side force kicks my rear end to the right. Only on straightaways, when accelerating. On curves, there doesn't seem to be problem. I am heavy on the throttle and I understand that is the majority of the problem. But, if I am more "delicate" with the acceleration, I keep the car under control-but loose a lot of time off my laps.

This is what I've done after reading some similar posts here:

Turned the Viscous LSD to ON

Power and Coast Ramps - this is my question. I read the description, it's in my native language, and I really do not understand what's it is saying.

In order to reduce my side force issues - would I INCREASE the ramp angels or REDUCE the angels? I tried both. I think that I feel more control when I INCREASE the angel on both settings. But I'm not sure. I have a slightly better lap time when I reduce the angel, but I have lost control a few times.

What is the proper direction for the Power/Coast Ramp settings to reduce the effects of side force?

or am I totally wrong thinking that these settings will help?

Thanks!
    Hi, most people are using the Clutch LSD. I am assuming that you have both the Clutch LSD and Viscous LSD turned on. I agree with your statement "I think that I feel more control when I INCREASE the angel on both settings" in part but the Power Ramp angle increase will help reduce your kick to the rear increasing the Coast ramp angle as well will give you less control on corner entry in my opinion. I have attached an LSD setup from Algarve GP(the PC WR TT time of 1:44.419) but this driver is really good and his Power ramp angle is 40 so you could go higher and leave the Coast ramp at 40. Also look at the Power Ramp angle of Default Stable which is higher. You can also reduce the number of Clutches to 2 from Default 6. I don't agree with the Clutch/Viscous combo but I'll search more setups to see if I can find more who are using your combo.

EDIT, I searched most of the popular GP tracks and I was able to find 1 person using the combo you described, Doxxxx at Laguna Seca so I guess it's possible to use this LSD but most are not choosing it.
    WR LSD(mostly Default Loose).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2018-01-31 15-09-51-82.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	249337
    Default Stable LSD.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-01-31 15-25-42-52.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	249338
    Last edited by blinkngone; 31-01-2018 at 20:47.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

WMD Member
    Thank you, Blinkngone.

It’s a lot to digest of what you wrote. I started with default Stable SMS setup, so I didn’t change both LSD’s - just the Viscous. I don’t want to change too much until I figure out what does what.

Like you said, on the default stable setup, the Power ramp begins around 75 (I think). So I only have been changing one click at a time, then test it.

I try your suggestions and plug in those settings and try again tomorrow. Like I said, I’m really new at this, I have been just using the Race Engineer. And my only knowledge on this is reading the description and these forums.

Thanks again. I’ll give it a go tomorrow and probably get back with more questions.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    RAM 16 GB
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

Platform
    PC
    Thank you, Blinkngone.

It’s a lot to digest of what you wrote. I started with default Stable SMS setup, so I didn’t change both LSD’s - just the Viscous. I don’t want to change too much until I figure out what does what.

Like you said, on the default stable setup, the Power ramp begins around 75 (I think). So I only have been changing one click at a time, then test it.

I try your suggestions and plug in those settings and try again tomorrow. Like I said, I’m really new at this, I have been just using the Race Engineer. And my only knowledge on this is reading the description and these forums.

Thanks again. I’ll give it a go tomorrow and probably get back with more questions.
    Ok, try Default Stable with the Viscous OFF and clutches at 2 instead of 6 if you have time. Also what Platform are you on? What setting are you using for Throttle Sensitivity in the Configuration Menu? Are you using a wheel or controller?
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Ok, try Default Stable with the Viscous OFF and clutches at 2 instead of 6 if you have time. Also what Platform are you on? What setting are you using for Throttle Sensitivity in the Configuration Menu? Are you using a wheel or controller?
    I'm on the PC using a controller, for the most part. Throttle sensitivity I have pretty far up there - 80. I'll try these tips tonight. Thanks!
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    RAM 16 GB
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

Platform
    PC
    I'm on the PC using a controller, for the most part. Throttle sensitivity I have pretty far up there - 80. I'll try these tips tonight. Thanks!
    Ok, I think throttle sensitivity is generally recommended to be lower, say 30%. Also since you are on PC you can use Time Trial to try setups. Sorry, there don't appear to be many controller runs with the Capri.
    Go to Time Trial.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-02-01 09-03-47-12.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	249378
    Select the run/ghost/setup you want, must show the gear/wrench in Tuning Setup.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-02-01 09-03-58-54.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	249379

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Ok, I think throttle sensitivity is generally recommended to be lower, say 30%. Also since you are on PC you can use Time Trial to try setups. Sorry, there don't appear to be many controller runs with the Capri.
    Go to Time Trial.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-02-01 09-03-47-12.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	249378
    Select the run/ghost/setup you want, must show the gear/wrench in Tuning Setup.

Name:	pCARS2 2018-02-01 09-03-58-54.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	249379
    Yeah, maybe I should try to lower the throttle sensitivity a little more. In the beginning, I found it hard to find the right combination of settings when I started my career in Formula Rookie. Once I found sucess, I never bothered to change them.

I’ve been using the time trial with Algarve with the capri. I’m definitely not the greatest/fastest driver around....
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    RAM 16 GB
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

Platform
    PC
    Ok, well we'll just have to work on helping you improve. On 1/29 you ran a 1:52.373 so somehow on your own you improved to 1:49.979 so you are doing something right. There are people on here who can follow your ghost and make suggestions about improving your driving but first let's get your setup a little sorted. Also, are you sure your controller settings are pretty good?
    Last edited by blinkngone; 01-02-2018 at 15:10.

WMD Member
    Just made a 1:47.821!

Just a stable setup with clutches change to 2. Viscous lsd was off.

I still have the side force, but it seems more mild. It could be a combination of the clutch change and me trying to be more easy on the gas...

I’ll keep trying with these settings and see if I can keep improving.

Thanks
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    RAM 16 GB
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

WMD Member
    I cannot even come close to duplicating my latest time. The side force is killing me on the inclines.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    RAM 16 GB
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 970