Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of a button box

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Atak Kat View Post
    Got caught in the moment wanting to share my Ignition Controls box, and didn't answer any of your questions:
    - I believe they have specific versions that are intended for PC and also PS4. Mine works on both. You might just need to make sure you get one that is designated to work with PS4.
    - Mine works flawlessly. Excellent construction and quality. Mine is all metal housing, not plastic. Top notch. When I'm not using it, I put it on my shelf as a sort of little display....
    - They do have threaded holes for mounting on the back. But they don't come with any sort of mounting method. You need to figure that out on your own. I only have mine mounted in a temporary way, need to figure out what I'm going to do... They are quite heavy (quality), so any mounting method needs to be pretty sturdy.
    - Rotary encoders work fine, but important to know what they do. With PS4, see my comments and link in the post before this. They function as button pushes. Rotation right one click = one button. Rotation left one click = another button. You can push them in, and that's another button.
    - Everything is a button push as if a keyboard. So if you push buttons or turn knobs while your in a text window (example, chat session), you will see letters on your screen.
    - Mine has these nice little red lights (button tops, start button). There's a switch, where you either turn all the lights on, or off. It's not setup in a way that the individual lights go on/off when you push the individual buttons.
    - The joystick is 4-way. Up/down/left/right. I have mine set to adjust the seat position up/down and forward/back. Works great for that.
    - Unless somethings's changed, you probably need your own USB cord. On mine it's the USB-Type B end (I got the cord from my printer, which I never use).

- If you're keen on programming, pretty much everything is programmable with a small program and a PC. I understood you can even do Macros (like programming one of the buttons to send several different key presses in sequence....). Don't take my word on that though, because I've never done it. Just my understanding that it's possible...
    I just wanted to say thanks for this. I'm looking into getting a button box and had a few questions. This post answered almost all of them before I even had a chance to ask. One thing I was wondering about was the rotary encoders and how they functioned. Based on this, it seems like they would be great for brake bias and ARB adjustments. One knob would take the place of two pushbuttons.

Also I couldn't figure out a use for the joystick but adjusting the seat is a great idea.

As for mounting, what I'm thinking about doing is using a clamp-on swivel mount for a tablet. Something like this: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-40...Specs-Features. That one is expensive but it's made for heavy-duty applications like mounting stuff on a boat or truck.

The macro capability could be useful for manipulating the ICM menu.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: Atak Kat

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Glad you found something helpful in that.
    The rotary work well in situations exactly as you describe. The encoders on mine also allow a third keypress if you push the knob in. I don't have a use for it, but it could be helpful if there was something that required an adjustment, and then an 'enter' to confirm it or something.
    RAM mounts are the way to go. When I do something, most likely will be from RAM. I think they're quite common for sim racing mount solutions. I'm pretty sure the hole spacings on the back of the Ignition Controls boxes are standard and can match perfectly to RAM mount hole spacings (might have to choose a specific one, but pretty sure they are standardized and will match)

The most impressive thing on the button boxes though are the ignition switch and start button. They look cool and awesome. They are the first thing people comment about. Eye candy for sure. Never use them though....
    Last edited by Atak Kat; 02-02-2018 at 17:10.

Platform
    PS4
    i made my own using an Arduino to emulate a usb keyboard...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_2693.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	249499
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Atak Kat, GUTTER-BOY, itonz, SpinnPaget

Platform
    PC
    The most impressive thing on the button boxes though are the ignition switch and start button. They look cool and awesome. They are the first thing people comment about. Eye candy for sure. Never use them though....
    Hahahaha...funny you mention that. Because I wanted one that specifically had the missile toggle switch for ignition and the big Engine Start button.

I don't have a use for it, but it could be helpful if there was something that required an adjustment, and then an 'enter' to confirm it or something.
    Could be useful for navigating the ICM menu.
    97.8% of mass public shootings in the US between 1950 and 2018 occurred in so-called "gun-free zones".
    ASUS GL702VI-MH72 | Thrustmaster TX Wheel | Thrustmaster VG Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel Alcantara Edition
    Thrustmaster T3PA Pro Pedals with Ricmotech Load Cell Mod | Wheelstand Pro v2
    The following user likes this Post: Atak Kat

Platform
    PS4
    I made this from a USB keyboard easy and cheap

Name:	20171225_124735.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	249513
    PS4 - projector BenQ MH741- Screen 120 inch - Wheel Thrustmaster T500RS - T3PA-PRO - Ferrari F1 Wheel - Buttonbox - Playseat ProjectCars - Buttkicker Gamer 2 - Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 400 - Turtle Beach x12 for CrewChief
    RS Dash vrHive(Dashes/Telemetry/Live Data) - Crew Chief(race engineer) - pCars Dash - vHUD
    The following user likes this Post: itonz

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Trans-Girl View Post
    i made my own using an Arduino to emulate a usb keyboard...

Name:	DSC_2693.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	249499
    Looks great!

I'm in the middle of making my own as well - I got everything installed and soldered together, only to then-realize I bought the wrong arduinos! The Nanos don't output USB-keyboard presses ; I'm waiting for the new ones to get delivered by Amazon now...

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinnPaget View Post
    Looks great!

I'm in the middle of making my own as well - I got everything installed and soldered together, only to then-realize I bought the wrong arduinos! The Nanos don't output USB-keyboard presses ; I'm waiting for the new ones to get delivered by Amazon now...
    making my own as well. waiting for the PCB's to show up
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | Formula F1 2018 Wheel
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS F/A-18C

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Are there any decent guides on how to build a button box? I could just buy one but I quite like the idea of building my own. I don't know much at all about electronics but have a soldering iron etc.
    PS4 Pro, T300RS, T3PA Pro, Playseat Challenge
    The following user likes this Post: Demon340

Platform
    PC
    some good DIY videos here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQS...able_polymer=1

He usually links all the parts in the video description.
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | Formula F1 2018 Wheel
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS F/A-18C

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Agreed. This is the link that served me best. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Sc4MJ8RPM

I bought most of my parts based on the links in the video, and then just bought an aluminum storage box from an arts&crafts store as my enclosure (a lot cheaper that way.)

REMEMBER: buy the correct kind of arduino! You need one that uses the 32u4 tech - so not a Nano.

Once I get mine working, I can share the sketches if you want. I have 5 toggles, 16 buttons, and 6 rotaries. (100% overkill, oh well!)
    The following 4 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, Demon340, DozUK, TheBaldReverend