Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24hr Le Mans Charity Challenge

Platform
    PC

24hr Le Mans Charity Challenge

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share this little event that a friend and I have been organising. Hopefully you will find it somewhere near as exciting as I do! I'll share a little bit of background story but will try to keep it brief and not ramble on (too much).

As with many of you, I'm a life long motorsports fan, mainly endurance racing. My obsession has been passed on to me from my Dad, who made his annual pilgrimage to Le Mans for many years. In 1988 I was lucky enough to have him share this with me.. It was apparently going to be a big year for our favourite team, TWR Jaguar.. So he decided to take me along. That experience, those cars, the smell.. that NOISE! (those chocolate waffles) cemented my love for Le Mans and motorsports (The XJR9 engine roar leaving a deep scar in my memories forever in the process). We returned to Le Mans together for several years to share the highs and lows of Group C racing and they will always be some of my favourite memories.

On March 1st 2017 Dad lost a short battle with cancer and this year, I'd like to do something to remember him and try to raise a little cash for a good cause at the same time. Being a life long Sim racer, and Project Cars 2 being amazing enough to include some of my favourite Group C cars, the choice seems simple. After a surprisingly large amount of organisation and preparation, on March 2nd/3rd/4th this year, a friend and I are ready (we think) to take on Le Mans in the XJR9 for a 24hr race of our own. My friend J has been amazing and on the smallest of budgets managed to build a custom sim rig and we'll be stressing my medium good PC for 3 days total to try and stream the whole thing. All proceeds will be going to the charity, Heartburn Cancer. A small but amazingly supportive charity. You are all invited to come along, watch, laugh at us and most importantly, try to help us stay awake!

Full details, rules and settings of the race will be shared over the next week or so for those interested. I'll update here and on the challenge Facebook page:

FB PCARS2 Challenge

For anyone that is able to spare a couple of pennies (any donations are welcome and very much appreciated no matter how small) please visit:

Challenge Just giving page

My Steam name is Ryori San. feel free to add me on there also. But do say hello so I know why you've added me!

Some of the basic rules and settings for now:

Race will against AI with full possible grid of 31 opponents.

AI skill: 120. Aggression: 100.

Qualifying on Friday March 2nd. Streaming live from 12:00 - 20:00

Race starts Saturday March 3rd at 15:00 until 15:00 March 4th.

I would also like to say that I absolutely love this game.. even though I've hardly played outside of Le Mans in the XJR9 ..The event really wouldn't be possible in the way we'd like to do it without Project Cars 2. I am SO glad you included the Jags and La Sarthe and I wish you all the best with it and look forward to the upcoming DLC's etc.

In the meantime, you are very welcome to ask questions related to any of this and I'll keep you all updated as the event gets nearer.

Thanks for your time, see you on the start grid!

Andy.

Updates:

We are only 2 DAYS AWAY!

It's been an interesting couple of weeks! Since patch 4 changed pretty much everything we'd agreed on: Car tuning/setup, AI behaviour etc. We thought we were doomed to failure before the green light! (I got a bit worried and overly dramatic about it for a little while) I'm exceptionally pleased to say though, that the new AI behaviour and XJR9 handling is vastly improved and should make for a much more competitive race.

We have had a few issues with OBS/Youtube streams unfortunately, so it may be the case that we can only stream on Steam Broadcast. With regards to that side of it, everything has become a little bit 'last minute' so I'll keep this post updated, for anyone that is interested in tuning in. However we end up broadcasting, it will be up from midday Friday (March 2nd) for Qualifying through race start on Saturday (15:00 gmt) to the finish on Sunday.. Unless we crash out and I'm too busy crying to continue the stream, of course.

As always, feel free to ask questions I'll add updates and reminders up to the race. Cheers all!..
    Last edited by Ryori San; 28-02-2018 at 08:24.
    The following 10 users likes this Post: Aile_Bleue, Alibi_GT, BuToNz, casscroute, goodman, Mad Al, Maskmagog, milliotseb, RacingAtHome, Raklodder

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    You could put the link without it being hyperlinked so people have to copy and paste.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Great idea! And ncredible way to honour him and I wish you could he best of look.

Platform
    PC
    Great idea! Noted in my agenda

Are you considering 1 class or multiclass? And which steering wheel etc do you have?
    Racing setup PC: Thrustmaster TX with Ferrari 599XX Evo Alcantara steering wheel, Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals and the TH8A transmission.
    Racing setup PS4: Thrustmaster T150 with T3PA pedals.
    PC: motherboard Z97-Pro Gamer, 16GB RAM, i5-4690K 3.5 Ghz, MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Gaming X.
    VR: Oculus Rift

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alibi_GT View Post
    Great idea! Noted in my agenda

Are you considering 1 class or multiclass? And which steering wheel etc do you have?
    I think it will be a Group C only race.

Platform
    PC
    "You could put the link without it being hyperlinked so people have to copy and paste."

That sounds like a workaround that i might get in trouble with mods for! Thanks.. I will be patient

Will be multi class so that we can get the full traffic experience ..just to make things even harder for us. As there isn't a full compliment of 88 entrants to choose from, we've chosen GT1, GT3 and GTE for a decent variation in speed/lap times. We did originally plan it as Group c only but for some reason, when set to 31 GC cars, they refuse to get around the first few turns without starting Carmageddon.. much smoother affair in multi class and it doesn't get as lonely on track at night with some backmarkers to keep you company.

Setup is a modded G29/GT Omega stand (with some ridiculous additions.. ill get some pics up soon!). PC is a Ryzen 5 1600/RX 470.. no powerhouse, but it's running pretty sweet and importantly being reliable so far!

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryori San View Post
    "You could put the link without it being hyperlinked so people have to copy and paste."

That sounds like a workaround that i might get in trouble with mods for! Thanks.. I will be patient
    AFAIK, this restriction exists just in order to avoid spamming, but since you are obviously not a spammer, I am sure nobody would have a problem with you posting links. Or wait until you make 3 more posts (I think 5 posts is the threshold) and you will be "officially" able to post links and images.

Platform
    PC
    Added a little update/reminder of the event (I'm getting very excited/nervous about this now!!)

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryori San View Post
    Added a little update/reminder of the event (I'm getting very excited/nervous about this now!!)
    How's the practice coming?

You looking good for a possible victory?

Platform
    PC
    Practice has gone well.. Overall, lap times are pretty close though and we're expecting the AI to be a bit less likely to fall asleep at the wheel :/

Honestly, we'll be really happy to finish it, winning would be a serious bonus at this stage!