Thread: Organization

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

Organization

I tend to accumulate way too many setups. I save a new version whenever I make changes, just in case. Problem is that I lose track of which one was the previous version, and it's becoming impossible to manage. I am now confusing myself about which setup to use. When I go to load a setup, I struggle to know if I'm loading the one I was just working on, or not. I do put some coding into the naming, but still I have way too many and need to clean house.

Would appreciate if anyone can share their naming methods for ways they keep their setups to a manageable list.

I'm thinking it might be good to have a few master setups, and then just one called RACE or something like that. So idea would be to load the base setup, then save it onto the one named RACE, and then from their just work in that setup named RACE. All your little tweaks just happen in that setup and you don't mess up your base setups. But the save-over-existing-profile thing seems to have issues still.

Interested how other people manage this.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44

Platform
    PC
    I always start with making 1 general setup suited for every track, just a setup how i like to drive the car and i call it "1". If i change something to this general setup, i overwrite it and always double-check it.
    When i change something track specific, i try to describe what i did in the name, like "1hdf" meaning high downforce or "1st" meaning soft tires or "1rthdf" meaning rain tires, high downforce.
    If you want to start from scratch without deleting your old setup i start with "2". The key is to use names you always know what they mean.
    MSI TRIDENT-014EU specs : Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz | NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 3GB | RAM 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 64 bit (1709)
    Thrustmaster TX base | F599XX EVO 30 Alcantara rim | T3PA pedals | Playseat Evolution Alcantara | Panasonic 50" 4K TV
    Steam ID : Renaat Droogmans

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Atak Kat View Post
    I tend to accumulate way too many setups. I save a new version whenever I make changes, just in case. Problem is that I lose track of which one was the previous version, and it's becoming impossible to manage. I am now confusing myself about which setup to use. When I go to load a setup, I struggle to know if I'm loading the one I was just working on, or not. I do put some coding into the naming, but still I have way too many and need to clean house.

Would appreciate if anyone can share their naming methods for ways they keep their setups to a manageable list.

I'm thinking it might be good to have a few master setups, and then just one called RACE or something like that. So idea would be to load the base setup, then save it onto the one named RACE, and then from their just work in that setup named RACE. All your little tweaks just happen in that setup and you don't mess up your base setups. But the save-over-existing-profile thing seems to have issues still.

Interested how other people manage this.
    The best way is to just take time to clean out your garage from time to time. I have cleaned my Acura GT3 garage out twice and now it needs to be cleaned up again. I have the same problem you do. When I clean up my garage this time im gonna save my master setups to all tracks instead of saving it at every track so I can at least remember my master setups.

I was in a rush before a online race once and ending up naming a setup "fat". It was supposed to be "fast" . So I ended up naming every setup built from that setup fat1, fat2, fat3 and so on. Now im on fat68.
    CAR AIN'T GOT NO ROOF!!!!! - Young Dro

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small - Lao Tzu
    The following user likes this Post: Atak Kat

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Thanks. That's basically what I've been doing (deleting a bunch every now and then).
    The issue is that I can never really remember the last setup I used. And despite my efforts to make names in a way I can somehow understand, I still get messed up on which one to choose. What invariably happens is that I make little changes as I go along, and sometimes end up with a pretty good setupwhere everything seems to click. Problem is that you don't know it's the 'good' one until during/after the race.... and then there's no way to save your setup (even if just to put the word 'good' in the name) after the race.
    So, I go to the next race and then I'm like.... which one was it again?
    Annoys me.

Does anyone know which order they are displayed in the list?? Sometimes my last-saved setup is at the bottom. Sometimes it's not. Hey don't seem alphabetical either.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44

Platform
    PC
    In my case the problem I have is that the more setups accumulate for a car the game takes longer to load and save a setup, which becomes more complicated when you manage to enter an online session and there is little time to complete a lap of qualify. And not only that, but in the window of preparation before the race, as delays in loading your setup the other players lose patience and kick you because they think you are AFK.

Is there any news about whether SMS is working on a solution to speed up the loading and saving of setups, no matter how many setups you have for the same car?

Platform
    PC
    I usually name it short after the track (Spa, RBR, Nür etc.), then Q for qualifying, R for Race, T for time trial. And after that an increasing number. Sometimes, I add a really basic description like ldf (low downforce), hdf (high downforce) or sr (stable/rain). This way I always see which version it is, for which session and if it's an agressive or rather conservative/safe setup.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    I usually name it short after the track (Spa, RBR, Nür etc.), then Q for qualifying, R for Race, T for time trial. And after that an increasing number. Sometimes, I add a really basic description like ldf (low downforce), hdf (high downforce) or sr (stable/rain). This way I always see which version it is, for which session and if it's an agressive or rather conservative/safe setup.
    I do a variation of this. Short track name, followed by track temp, tires, quali or race. So a Le Mans setup might be: LM_30degS_Q and then in the description i put my average fuel use per lap, so in an online lobby, I can quickly adjust my fuel to match the race distance. Been doing this since before they edited the estimator to be more precise, so I just stick with my method.

And if its my first time at a track, I'll name it LM_TEST_(tire choice)
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 980 Ti SC ACX 2.0+ | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | Formula Black Rim
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS (mostly A-10)
    The following user likes this Post: Jetsun