Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated Server Workaround

Platform
    PC

Dedicated Server Workaround

Though Elmo touches on the -selectds launch function at the following link, it doesn't seem to be widely understood. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1432481

Though based on anecdotal evidence, I believe the -selectds option gets around all of the major bugs/issues plaguing dedicated servers right now, and provides an easy to use method for setting up dedicated server sessions. I have used it for several months and have yet to see a weather or live track sync problem for a variety of weather or time of day transitions and multiclass racing. The server seems more stable than using the standard config and rotate files and disconnects are rare. The catch is that this procedure doesn't work for a rotating server and the -selectds launch method overwrites your ability to set up p2p sessions. Applets and API interfaces are not necessary with this method and will only induce issues.

The procedure is as follows:

1) Setup your server.config file like the one in the following link. Replace the server and admin passwords, names, and the max number of players for your server (everything I have bookended with **). These changes will disable the rotate file and give server control to the host.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bH...LzCxBclJofcn_d

2) In Steam, open up the PC2 properties, select launch options, and type -selectds into the field. Seperate this entry from other entries with a space.

The remaining steps apply to each session you want to set up:

3) Make sure to update "GridSize" and "MaxPlayers" in the server.cfg file to the maximum allowed for the track you intend to run. You will induce errors if you try to run a track with smaller capacity than your config file.

4) Restart the game if you have played in any other online lobbies in this session. This is important. It appears that players can carry weather with them into another online session from a previous session.

5) Open the "create online event" menu and configure the lobby as desired. I recommend that the password for the lobby match the config file, though the config file seems to have precedence. All sessions will take place on the date selected for the race, but you can set qualifying and practice session times for after the race time without inducing errors.

6) Select "Start"

5) instead of launching a lobby as P2P, a menu of all active dedicated servers will appear. Choose your server from the list and enter the password from the config file. If your server doesn't show up, refresh the list several times. If that doesn't work, restart your server and restart the game. Repeat until your server appears.

6) Your dedicated server lobby will open as configured.

7) Important-every player who joins must do so from a fresh game session if they have played in any other online lobbies or they risk bringing the weather from that lobby with them (but only for them). This is a known issue with weather failing to sync across player sessions, particularly in p2p lobbies. Players can bring weather with them. Patch 4 is supposed to have a fix for this, but it seems to be avoidable with this workaround.

8) Enjoy

I can't stress enough the importance of starting/joining the server from a fresh game session as this alone seems to cause most of the syncing problems. This method allows anyone to setup a server session without needing admin rights to the server, provided the server is running and not timed-out.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Animera, bluenoes, F1_Racer68, Wayne Kerr, yons

WMD Member
    Sorry to say this, but I think that after so many steps necessary for a dedicated server to work, the step 8 is impossible.
    Last edited by Mahjik; 06-02-2018 at 17:33.
    i7-2600k; Asus P8P67LE; 16 GB RAM DDR3; Asus GeForce Strix GTX 970 4 GB; SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB; HD Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black; Monitor Acer 27" 2K; Steering wheel Thrustmaster T300 GTE; Pedals G25+Leo Bodnar cable; Shifter Thrustmaster TH8; Oculus Rift; Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Herege, Raklodder

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by rocho View Post
    Sorry to say this, but I think that after so many steps necessary for a dedicated server to work, the step 8 is impossible.
    Some folks never pass up an opportunity to whinge I guess. I literally explained how to make it work with a method that is easier than setting up a server in any of the other traditional methods. At this point all you have to do is copy a file onto your server and change 3-ish fields, insert one option to your launch options, and update 2 numbers before you start a session on a track with a capacity less than 32. That's about as easy as setting up a dedicated server gets. If you can't get your participants to take the easy step of restarting the game before entering a dedicated session, then you need to find a better crowd to race with.

Apologies for eliminating something to complain about. Maybe try complaining about SMS failing to understand the customer and clearly/timely communicating how to get PC2 to work properly when the feature was released with patch 3? Hopefully that replenishes your bundle of grievances.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: crowhop, F1_Racer68, yons

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Aaaah but thats Sooooo HAaaarrrd, cant you just set it up for me so I dont have to do anything, and it just works and I dont have to change anything and it doesn't cost money and wont break and is a single button that pushes itself coz me actually having to get off my ass and push said button may tax me beyond the control of the xanax coma im in........

Go get im Phos......
    The following user likes this Post: leeroy98

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phos4us View Post
    Some folks never pass up an opportunity to whinge I guess. I literally explained how to make it work with a method that is easier than setting up a server in any of the other traditional methods. At this point all you have to do is copy a file onto your server and change 3-ish fields, insert one option to your launch options, and update 2 numbers before you start a session on a track with a capacity less than 32. That's about as easy as setting up a dedicated server gets. If you can't get your participants to take the easy step of restarting the game before entering a dedicated session, then you need to find a better crowd to race with.

Apologies for eliminating something to complain about. Maybe try complaining about SMS failing to understand the customer and clearly/timely communicating how to get PC2 to work properly when the feature was released with patch 3? Hopefully that replenishes your bundle of grievances.
    I sincerely thank you for your effort to simplify setting DS sessions, but I still think that the whole process should be easier and error-free. Don't take it as something personal.
    i7-2600k; Asus P8P67LE; 16 GB RAM DDR3; Asus GeForce Strix GTX 970 4 GB; SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB; HD Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black; Monitor Acer 27" 2K; Steering wheel Thrustmaster T300 GTE; Pedals G25+Leo Bodnar cable; Shifter Thrustmaster TH8; Oculus Rift; Windows 10 Pro 64 bits

Platform
    PC
    Mods, can this please be stickied?

@Phos4us, thanks for taking the time to post this.
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - 24GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX1060 AMP! 6GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by F1_Racer68 View Post
    Mods, can this please be stickied?

@Phos4us, thanks for taking the time to post this.
    done
    Project CARS 2 T150 & T300 RS
    PC's used during WMD 2
    PC 1 Win 10 Home 64bit MSI 970 Gamer/FX-8350(4.2), 16GB Crucial, Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC (MSI AfterBurner 1100 and 1425)
    PC 2 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime X370-Pro/Ryzen 7 1700X 3.77 GHz, 32 GB Corsair Veng 3200 @ 2933,
    MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 120/89/137/425)
    PC 3 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime Z270-A/i7 7700K 4.5 GHz, 32 GB GSKILL Trident White 3200, EVGA SC GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 109/89/124/425) Oculus Rift CV1 (VR Cover for eyewear)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: F1_Racer68, Konan

Platform
    PC
    Oh man, thanks... this is saving our lifes!

One question to the dedicated system: If i create the session with the DS i am becoming the admin, because i "connected" first i think. If i leave the server someone other becomes admin. Is there a workaround for this? Closing the DS and create a new session is working (Thanks, no more open lobbies and everyone must leave etc......)

Platform
    PC
    Thanks much @GTsimms
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - 24GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX1060 AMP! 6GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3

Platform
    PC
    Patch 1.4 seems to have killed access to my server using this or any other configuration method. I get kicked anytime I try to join or establish my server. I will continue to troubleshoot and update here when I figure out what is going on.