Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Beauty of Bathurst

Platform
    PS4

The Beauty of Bathurst

So for a long time I have been a hater of Bathurst. Not really sure why either. But last night I sat myself down for 30+ laps, in a bid to learn the track secrets and why people love it so much.

I'm hooked but not very fast. Currently got my best down to a 2:08:000 in Gt3 with an optimum of 2:07:200.

My question for those of you who have mastered the track, is where the time can be gained. Maybe I'm too conservative at the top of the mountain. Which corners are key?

I'm at 1:24:000 coming out of Forrest's Elbow and 2:04:000 out of Murray's corner for reference.

Love this track now so much, especially at Sunrise.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: davekojo, Miker

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Colburnnn View Post
    ... where the time can be gained.
    Every braking zone, every mid-corner, every corner exit and every point in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by Colburnnn View Post
    Which corners are key?
    Every corner, the last one as much as the next one and the ones afore and after them.

Good luck with truly mastering Bathurst... she's an enigma, wrapped in a paradox and shrouded by mystery... try another few hundred laps... for starters. LOL.
    Last edited by Sum Dixon-Ear; 09-02-2018 at 00:37.
    Savoury69 - Fanatec CSLE-PS4/Formula Carbon & BMW GT2 Rims/ClubSport V3i Pedals - Samsung UE65KS9000 4K - Beer - Stovies - Alba Gu Brąth
    The following 4 users likes this Post: hkraft300, mister dog, Steve-986, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    He's not wrong haha

As a start, if you don't nail hell corner (turn 1) or Forrest elbow (turn 18) you are down on speed for the long straights. I practice those a lot and it's never easy. When you launch out of Forrest elbow right you can feel it in your bones.
    Last edited by VelvetTorpedo; 09-02-2018 at 00:46.
    * HTC VIVE * i5-6600k * ASUS GTX1080 8GB TURBO * Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 * MSI Z170A M5 * Fanatec CSL Elite w/P1 wheel * Fanatec CS Pedals v3 * Fanatec CS Shifter SQ v1.5 * TH8A analog handbrake * Playseat Evolution *
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    What VelvetTorpedo said & I would add the exit out of The Cutting is just as critical because you are fighting gravity up that hill.
    Regards, George
    PCars GOTY, PCars2 Digital DE, PS4 500G, G29, TB Stealth700 HS, RS Dash, SIM Dashboard, Crew Chief, & Discord Audio Chat.

I started life with nothing & have managed to keep most of it!
    The following user likes this Post: Shogun613

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    My two areas where I know I can personally improve are in The Cutting - where treating that whole section as one turn and getting a good exit for the uphill run up the mountain is key, and Skyline. I always feel the need to brake somewhat too early. If I try to brake just before the banner, I feel like I'm carrying too much speed over the drop-off and wind up either taking too much curb, or just panic braking and wind up tagging one of the walls. It takes a lot of nerve and balls to come over the top with as much speed as you can handle.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    McPhillamy park, is a key area to pick up a lot of pace before you head into Skyline. The key is to "aim for the grate" just on the right hand side, then just as your about to hit it, turn left to hit the apex, get it right and you'll pick up a lot of time, get it wrong and your into the kitty litter.
    And of course the other ones as mentioned previously

Platform
    PS4
    It is an epic track.
    PS4 - Logitech G29 + Shifter - home built rig - let's race!
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Shogun613, Sum Dixon-Ear

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I could have written the original post....as a long term “Bathurst dodger” the recent 12hr event inspired me to get to know the track better and have been loving it since...I’m a similar pace @colburnnn, 2:08’s with potential 2:07s in the Audi and porsche gt3s if I could hook it all up.

We need advice from @cluck, who on PC at least reigns supreme on this circuit, with virtually every TT record going as far as I can see!
    The following user likes this Post: cluck

Platform
    PC
    @Miker & Colburnnn: How extensively are you guys tuning to reach those times? My knowledge/experience of setups beyond tires and brakes is virtually non-existent. I get 2:09's in the M6 GT3, but no idea if that's decent.
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - ASRock A320M Pro4 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6GB - G.Skill 16GB DDR4 - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W - Thrustmaster T300 RS - Triple monitors

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzic View Post
    @Miker & Colburnnn: How extensively are you guys tuning to reach those times? My knowledge/experience of setups beyond tires and brakes is virtually non-existent. I get 2:09's in the M6 GT3, but no idea if that's decent.
    You're 4 seconds down on Cluck then, who has 2:05.157 which this car.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro