Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Beauty of Bathurst

Platform
    PC
    Thanks. Only just now noticed he's using the default setup. If you'll excuse me, I need to go find some typical racing driver excuses.
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - ASRock A320M Pro4 - EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6GB - G.Skill 16GB DDR4 - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W - Thrustmaster T300 RS - Triple monitors
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzic View Post
    @Miker & Colburnnn: How extensively are you guys tuning to reach those times? My knowledge/experience of setups beyond tires and brakes is virtually non-existent. I get 2:09's in the M6 GT3, but no idea if that's decent.
    Not much beyond standard TT stuff of closing engine/brake ducts, Iíve played around with high and low aero but nnot found either made much difference in terms of the overall time....Iíve no clue about dampers and diffs so not been near those...

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenzic View Post
    @Miker & Colburnnn: How extensively are you guys tuning to reach those times? My knowledge/experience of setups beyond tires and brakes is virtually non-existent. I get 2:09's in the M6 GT3, but no idea if that's decent.
    I'm also in the 2:09s, but with the AMG GT3. I still have some tweaking I'd like to do, but to get there I started with the default stable setup and made adjustments to the engine braking, differential, and downforce. After those, I eeked out some more speed on the straights by closing down the brake ducts a little, and closing down the radiator opening to about 30%. I should also mention that I change the traction control slip from 10% to around 15 to 20% so I can get a little more acceleration out of the corners.

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    Bathurst is all about confidence and balls. Everything else you pick up along the way.

The most crucial turns, for me, are:

Turn 2 (Quarry)
    Turn 4 (The Cutting - the very sharp left-hander)
    Turn 11 (that starts the descent from Skyline into the Esses)
    Turn 18 (The Dipper)
    Turn 21 (The first left-hander through The Chase)

Of course, you need confidence in what the car is capable of, first and foremost. Then you can either do what most people do, start cornering slowly and build up your speed until you reach your limit, or you can do what I do, attack the course at 150% and find the limits of the car's cornering ability right away!

For turn 2, I normally look for the small tarmac section to the left to use as my braking marker. In most cars this is a drop to 3rd gear, turn in hard and get on the power nice and early. Some cars will do it in 4th, some in 2nd, experiment and find which works best for you.

Turn 4, for me, is about braking more gently, earlier, so that you get a nice tight line in, to get on the power earlier. That gives you great drive up the hill.

Turn 11 is just about how fast your dare enter it! Don't hit the brakes hard, you'll understeer, concentrate on gentle braking then down through the Esses, it will give you a tighter line into each turn, letting you get on the power earlier and harder.

Turn 18 is just an evil sod. For cars without ABS, you need to brake early or you'll lose traction and then lock the wheels, understeering you into the wall. Take a nice tight line in and get on the power, allowing the car to naturally drift out to the right on exit

Turn 21 is one of those where you just have to learn where the car needs to brake. The track is slippy as hell through the turn so it's really a case of scrubbing the speed off and then teasing the power in, to get the fastest exit out of turn 22.

Hope that helps

Oh, and for the BMW, this was my TT lap. Default setup. One of my early laps in the attempt to get 1st place in every car, so I'm fairly certain it can be beaten (even by myself!)

Last edited by cluck; 09-02-2018 at 12:43. Reason: left, right what's the difference :D
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // Logitech G29 wheel // Fanatec Clubsport v3 Pedals // Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz // Oculus Rift DK2 // GT Omega Cockpit Pro w/extra bracing //
    The following 8 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Miker, Olijke Poffer, SH71, Shogun613, Topsie, VelvetTorpedo, Zenzic

Platform
    PS4
    Nice lap Cluck
    PS4 - Logitech G29 + Shifter - home built rig - let's race!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks cluck....that helped me into 2:07s....
    The following user likes this Post: cluck

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by VelvetTorpedo View Post
    He's not wrong haha

As a start, if you don't nail hell corner (turn 1) or Forrest elbow (turn 18) you are down on speed for the long straights. I practice those a lot and it's never easy. When you launch out of Forrest elbow right you can feel it in your bones.
    Yeah, hell corner is one of my weakest corners on the track. I just can’t get it right most times, and the problem is if you mess it up you take that time loss through the whole sector no matter how well you nail Griffiths or the cutting.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Turn 2 is Griffins bend, quarry is after the cutting.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    This tip is not about getting good lap times but more survival.
    Going into the Elbow i often find if you do end up on the left side of the circuit coming out of the esses do not try to force the car to go back to the right side of the circuit as it'll result in locked brakes or spinning out, it is better to just brake well and focus on getting a good exit onto Conrod.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    Bathurst is great in VR...
    Steam: Olijke Poffer CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 2550x1440 | Controller:Fanatec CSW v2.5, Fanatec Mclaren GT3 rim, CSL Elite pedals & loadcell brake & TH8A Shifter| Misc: Oculus Rift , Playseat Evolution , Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.
    The following user likes this Post: cluck