Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Race observations, post patch 4.

Platform
    PC

Race observations, post patch 4.

Morning all!

While we're all still buzzing from yesterdays long awaited patch, I thought I'd share a few details that I noticed while racing last night.

I spend almost all my time racing AI, set to 120/100 on Le Mans in Group C (having clocked just under 14'000 miles on La Sarthe as I type this.. Don't judge me! It's why I bought this!) regularly racing between 30 - 60 lap races. I always use the XJR9 and have my setups as spot on as can be. As many of you, I was exceptionally excited about the patch so left work early yesterday to get home and try it out. After a few 'tweaks' and testing the starts (I'll get back to that in a wee bit) I set off for another 30 laps at Le Mans

Using rolling starts, I immediately notice a change for the better as all cars stick to their lines around the Ford chicanes, stay in position and don't hit the throttle until green. A much more natural start. Before yesterday I was able to pull an average of 6 seconds lead before hitting the Mulsanne which was always frustratingly unnatural, so I tended to drop off the throttle and stay near the field, hoping for a fight later on. I don't have to do this anymore. (They are still a little slower than me into the first corners but they seem to make it up shortly after) On to the Mulsanne, there are two scenarios I see most regularly: 1. They disappear in my mirror and I gradually pull a large gap over the next few laps. 2. I get a bit of a fight for half a lap or so and then they disappear in my mirror and I gradually pull a large gap over the next few laps... Most of the fun has been coming from the endurance side of it and the later down the line fights here and there. Yesterday 2nd place was 6 tenths behind me at this point with the entire field lined up behind. I had to defend into both chicanes and this continued until the Porsche curves, where I managed to pull a second on them. "Nice while it lasted" I thought, until I looked in the mirror to see that a rogue Porsche had broken free from the pack and was now 0.3 seconds behind me.. Practically touching my rear end and fighting for my position! I was pretty shocked to be honest.. It turned into a back and forth that lasted several laps.

I have never had to fight so hard against the AI and it was truly awesome. For whatever reason, the Porsche pitted at lap 6 putting an end to the fight, but it was not the last time this happened in the race. Later, I was again being pushed for position, this time by a Sauber Merc (That engine noise is quite intimidating when it's right behind you). I expected this encounter to come to an end as usual, when we hit traffic, as the AI is so tentative around slower cars. Didn't happen... first gt3 car we happen upon and I see this Merc' fire round it at full chat, staying right on me. A second backmarker, a third and so on. Did not phase him at all! Approaching the end of lap 11 and we both pit at the same time.. He refuels a little quicker than me, taking 1st and the battle continues as we leave the pits. It all felt pretty Epic.

The balance is far superior and I absolutely loved this race. I expect there will be plenty more moments I want to shout about. Hope you're all experiencing this sort of racing too!

Going back to those tweaks:

Obviously, being obsessed with Group C and Le Mans, it was the first thing I looked for in patch notes. I (and a friend) have spent an unnatural amount of time tuning the XJR9 to get it where we want it, in prep for a 24hr event we're doing. So, as you can imagine, I was a little worried when I read there had been changes to Group C handling. On entering the game, I find my setup has changed in a few areas (e.g. tyre pressures were lowered, tyre contact patch had changed etc) and unfortunately, the car drove like a bag of badgers so I set out to get the handling back. I did get it to drive pretty well after a few changes but it's nowhere near as stable and has lost considerable speed. I have had to drop difficulty and aggression to keep the car competitive/stop me worrying about it's stability.

I'm looking at the patch note RE: Group C

"Group C and IMSA GTP: increased engine rotational inertia, new tyre carcass, and re-balance of adhesive vs ‘rip grip’. Bump Stop lengths also reviewed, as was lift:drag ratio on all cars. Fuel consumptions also addressed."

And wondering if anybody (perhaps from SMS?) is able to help explain what this translates to more specifically with regards to setup so I can figure out how to get the car's handling somewhere near my previous.

Any info on this would be really appreciated.

Cheers!

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryori San View Post
    ......I spend almost all my time racing AI, set to 120/100....
    Kudos to you guys who race against AI at 120/100 or thereabouts. Bewilders me every time I see you guys mention that. Y'all deserve some sort of an Alien award.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following 4 users likes this Post: breyzipp, John Snelling, Ryori San, Stone Cold Stig

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The Ai is better, its come along way from release, I'm just really disappointed with the state of the ffb in many of the cars.
    Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//T300rs//TH8A

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    Kudos to you guys who race against AI at 120/100 or thereabouts. Bewilders me every time I see you guys mention that. Y'all deserve some sort of an Alien award.
    My feeling reading that part, if you're easily competitive against 120ai, you're just too good : )

Buy glad to see the experience drives can enjoy the game as well. Look forward playing on ps4 when patch is available.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: davidt33, Ryori San

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    My feeling reading that part, if you're easily competitive against 120ai, you're just too good : )

Buy glad to see the experience drives can enjoy the game as well. Look forward playing on ps4 when patch is available.
    14'000 Miles on the same track in the same car will do it for you .. I'm not that good everywhere and I'm pretty much useless if I'm using paddle shift.. Brain gets confused if there is no H box! For now, I've also had to drop the setting a bit until I sort this tuning. Car just isn't fast enough

The Ai is better, its come along way from release, I'm just really disappointed with the state of the ffb in many of the cars.
    I know it changes a lot from car to car, but I find there are enough options and parameters to make it pretty sweet in anything I drive. Took me a lot of fiddling and testing, but I can get it sweet quickly even in new cars (to me) now. Maybe throw some time at messing with FFB alone and see how one setting varies from say, a road car to a high aero car, imagining why it's different as a result of suspension etc. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Ryori San; 10-02-2018 at 10:01.
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Patches can change the performance of cars so you may not be able to reach your previous times but I would have thought the effect would be quite small.
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskarspants View Post
    Patches can change the performance of cars so you may not be able to reach your previous times but I would have thought the effect would be quite small.
    The effect on the tuning has been huge unfortunately (around 5 seconds per lap average). I know these things happen, that's fine.. Just hoping someone can shed a little light on the specifics of the changes so I can relate them to tuning. I am cool to just re tune.. But it's taken literally months of tweaking in preparation for a charity event which is not far away now.. I haven't got the time to test things anymore.

Sidenote: Bristol U.S or UK?

I race too almost exclusively with the Ai. Yesterday trying my favorite car in a 40 minutes race in nurburgring nordschleife with GT3 GTE and LMP2, using almost the same settings as you(100:100), usually at the start i always have a fix position, almost at the back of the pack, just so i can have some fight with the ai. Well but what a surprise, after the first couple of corners i coulndīt run awy from them, driving the Porsche Gt3, before patch i could run with the lmp2 cars and pass by the GTE, now...letīs just say that before entering Nordschleife, Lmp2 at the front followed by GTE and then 2 GT3 cars followed by me.. It took me almost an entire lap just to pass an GT3 car, and then i was been forced by another one at my back almost bumper to bumper... letīs just say, that i had to stop after 4 laps, just think about what was happening i was a bit let down with myself, very difficult now to keep up with them at the max settings, i suppose in some class and tracks i will have to tone a little bit down the Ai .

I also feel the Porsche GT3 different, much more tail happy, iīm slower now with that car, I also feel that the FFB in that car changed a lot, like iīm driving a different car. Because i didnīt knew, i tested with hard tires only. It is so different the FFB that i changed from Immersion to custom with Jack Spadeīs files, with total different values(almost) than before... and it feels better, maybe, iīm a little bit lost now, have to test much more.
    Last edited by pferreirag60; 12-02-2018 at 14:11.
    i7 5820K @ 4400 Water Cooled - Asus Deluxe x99 - 16GB DDR4 2800@3000 - 2x GTX980 (1477MHZ) - 3 Monitor 24" + 27" 1440p 100hz - Logitech G25 (modded pedals) + TH8A Shifter - OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Pedro Ferreira
    The following 2 users likes this Post: davidt33, Ryori San

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryori San View Post
    The effect on the tuning has been huge unfortunately (around 5 seconds per lap average). I know these things happen, that's fine.. Just hoping someone can shed a little light on the specifics of the changes so I can relate them to tuning. I am cool to just re tune.. But it's taken literally months of tweaking in preparation for a charity event which is not far away now.. I haven't got the time to test things anymore.

Sidenote: Bristol U.S?
    Bristol, UK.

I cannot repeat or dispute your claim as I am awaiting the xbox patch.

I am surprised by your claim of a 5s difference as outside of specific bop adjustments I have not noticed such a performance variation issue previously.

My own particular 120 /100 crown is at Oulton park with the ginetta GT5 where I can often beat the AI. I use std loose set up but I will be sure to check my times after p4.
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by prinsmp View Post

True dat.

And about the latest patch for PS4/Console users, boy oh boy am I looking forward to that like a little kid anxiously awaiting his present to open. I know it's already out for PC users and just can't wait for when it's available for us. Keeping fingers crossed when I fire up the console this morning I see it available. Gonna make this great game even better as evidenced from patch to patch. I read the patch release notes for PC and it looks very promising.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following user likes this Post: Ryori San