Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Race observations, post patch 4.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoM View Post
    In qualifying, you always have to be faster than a tournament. Minimal fuel, special settings. Tank filled with contests, other cars, etc. ... I think.
    Agree. Take 70 or 80 kg out of the fuel tank and your obviously going to be faster, so absolutely normal for quali times to be lower. I have a quali setup and race setup and the difference between them is within the same margin as AI quali/race times.

The Group C and GTP cars definitely had their lift drag values changed, the biggest change seems to be for the Nissan GTP. I tested its top speed on the Monza oval just a day before the patch, and it was 369 km/h(!). After the patch, i could only do 347 km/h, even after meticulously tweaking the gear ratios. Other cars were not touched as much, most seemed to stay the same. Nissan R89C lost about 10 km/h, the LM version stayed the same.

Anyway, the "nerfing" of the GTP probably means that on any track with long straights (Le Mans, Daytona, Nordschleife) its laptimes will be seriously worse than before, and frankly, the old high speed drag values must have been way too low. The car, as it was raced in real life, mostly raced on slow-ish tracks, Daytona being the fastest one they raced it on. It also missed 1988 Daytona, Nissan not taking part at all. Current in game record with the old version at Daytona is a completely ridiculous 1:29.259. A realistic lap time would be 1:35-1:37. From 1989 Nissan lost about 100 horsepower due to a tighter restrictor, and could barely go under 1:38 at Daytona. The GTP record is 1:33.875 in 1993 with the ultra high-tech Toyota Eagle Mk III.
    And yet, unfortunately it's still considerably faster than other GC/IMSA cars on Le Mans.
    The following user likes this Post: F1Aussie

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Is the Porsche still the slowest Group C car? The testing I did with the class a few months ago showed it quite a bit down on the other Group C cars. Is that still the case?
    Ryzen 1700 @3.8ghz|16GBs RAM @2933mhz|EVGA SC2 Hybrid 1080ti|1TB Samsung 960 EVO|250GB Samsung SSD|480GB SanDisk SSD
    1TB WD HDD|750w 80+ gold EVGA G3 PSU|Dell 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor|Thrustmaster TX| 599XX Evo Alcantara|TP3A Pedals|TH8A Shifter|Fanatec Handbrake

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Is the Porsche still the slowest Group C car? The testing I did with the class a few months ago showed it quite a bit down on the other Group C cars. Is that still the case?
    I don't know what it's capable of since patch, TT wise, but I do know that it's now balanced well in AI racing. It's been up there giving me a hard time as much as the rest.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryori San View Post
    To be clear, the racing is not 5 seconds a lap slower. The changes to the handling on the XJR9 have caused my tuning to be less stable, causing it to be 5 seconds a lap slower. It is simply the tuning that has been affected.
    I dont agree.. its simply the grip has changed across most cars. you still prob have the best possible setup
    Some Racers Have Grand Prix

Oh,RUF.ast?

EVGA X99 Classified i7 5960X @4.7Ghz 3x EVGA GTX TITAN 6GB @1342Mhz 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @2400MHz Lsi MegaRAID SAS 9265-8i @2500MB/s 4x 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOP @RAID 0 4x 1TB WD Caviar Black @RAID 10 2x Corsair AX1200 @12V 3 Dell UltraSharp U3011 @My Desk

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I was always confident that sms would make the AI better and better.
    In fact, in its current state im having alot of fun with the AI.

As for the upcoming patch for consoles, its the performance tweaks/optimization that i am most anxious about.

Right now, the game has a "Few" problems when racing with over 15-20 ai cars.

getting this "patched up", no pun intended, will be a deal breaker for me.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Ryori San, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryori San View Post
    I don't know what it's capable of since patch, TT wise, but I do know that it's now balanced well in AI racing. It's been up there giving me a hard time as much as the rest.
    I'll have to redo my class testing again. Part of me wants to wait though as it takes quite a bit of time to test each car, record, and create the video to show out of the box performance before tuning comes into play. I'll probably revisit each class that I have tested once the updates are done, so it may be a while.

I'll give the Porsche a go tomorrow to see if I notice a difference.
    Ryzen 1700 @3.8ghz|16GBs RAM @2933mhz|EVGA SC2 Hybrid 1080ti|1TB Samsung 960 EVO|250GB Samsung SSD|480GB SanDisk SSD
    1TB WD HDD|750w 80+ gold EVGA G3 PSU|Dell 27" 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor|Thrustmaster TX| 599XX Evo Alcantara|TP3A Pedals|TH8A Shifter|Fanatec Handbrake

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by lollygag View Post
    I dont agree.. its simply the grip has changed across most cars. you still prob have the best possible setup
    After all the testing and retuning I've done over the weekend, I think you're partly right here. AI Racing lap times are indeed around 5 seconds slower on average as the grip just isn't there anymore so cornering speeds are lower. I have however changed several things drastically in the tuning to compensate and get the stability back. Original tuning just didn't cut it, post patch. You're absolutely right about grip. I am starting to feel that the changes to the car are making it more interesting to drive as well.. it's definitely harder work! And I quite like that. Getting excited about the 24 hour race again now

WMD Member
    Maybe it is simply the default AI strength and aggression, but I've found the AI to be rather weak in wet conditions at Spa with the Formula A.

Spa
    Formula A
    21/8/2016 (IIRC)
    1400 race start (IIRC)
    6 laps
    Clear> Thunderstorm x10 weather progression
    I used untouched default setup (which still has approximately twice as much fuel as I require, in a car very sensitive to weight changes), but did not use any DRS or KERS all race, starting in last place

I've not done any sim racing for at least two months, I'm very rusty! Also, my wheel had to be limited to ~180 degrees lock-to-lock, because the issue where my wheel locks at ~90 degrees right was present.

In the dry, the AI are competitive, but once the rain comes their pace slows right down and I make up the best part of a minute over the last three laps. At least some of the AI pitted, presumably for wet tyres, when the rain came.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180211110632_1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	249989
    i7 5820k @ stock (for now) | Gigabye X99 Gaming 5P | 16GB DDR4 3000MHz @2133 (for now) | Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | Fanatec GT3 RS v1 & Clubsport Pedals | Windows 10 home| Samsung 512GB NMVe | 512GB MX100 SSD | BenQ XL2730Z

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Group A Touring Cars, 10 laps at Donington National and Oulton Park GP.

3 weather slots: medium clouds + random + random, weather synced to race.

AI is very good at 100 skill and 100 aggression. Very nice side by side racing, until it starts raining (heavily). At Donington AI does not pit although the track is completely wet, and forms a "conga line". At Oulton Park similar behavior but half of the AI pits one lap too late even while it rains heavily already on the previous lap, and the rest eventually come at pits total 3 laps late.

If they are calculating that it is better tactic to stay on slicks and waiting for the third slot or the end of the race, that is too much off and they simply lose too much time.
    (I checked at Oulton that when they get wets, they are competitive again so they were using slicks when conga forms.)

I tested briefly with Renault 3.5 at Donington and AI was in time to the pits with the same settings, so this may be problem just with Group A touring cars.

I haven't used exact weather slots for testing yet, nor switching to time based weather cycling, but I will do more testing.
    Intel i7-6900K 3.2@4.4 GHz | Asus X99-A USB3.1 | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia Titan X (Pascal) | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | SST Lightning H-shifter | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4
    The following user likes this Post: M. -VIPER- Morgan

Car Physics and AI
    They are doing that calculation. Admittedly these short races with multiple slots are difficult to balance.