Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re: How do you backup in reverse in PC2?

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Hey @hkraft300 and @azure flare; let's try and keep it to my original subject matter and request. Everyone can agree that absolutely no one is ever going to win the argument as to whether manual or auto transmission is better.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by buick87gn View Post
    Hey @hkraft300 and @azure flare; let's try and keep it to my original subject matter and request. Everyone can agree that absolutely no one is ever going to win the argument as to whether manual or auto transmission is better.
    Well you did sort of start it by saying manual is always better in post number 7, and really there isn't an argument.
    Cockpit view. 29 inch distance to 40 inch 1080p TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 0, all other camera movement, 0.
    G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 60, 15, 0, may change slightly. Skip and scrapyard rig.
    Assists, all off. Currently play 90-105/100 AI.
    1080p forty inch. Decent hifi, big speakers.
    The following user likes this Post: Azure Flare

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    *whispers*.. I think he's American.. he's probably never seen a manual in his life...
    Hey....
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega PC Racer/T300 with Heusinkveld pro pedals / VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

Platform
    PC
    Its actually a simple argument. Modern automatics are faster then humans but I'm talking the ones used in high end models. For racing I'm sure weight has a lot to do with it. No two ways about it modern automatics are heavy when compared to a manual trans. The other thing is changing ratios is easier for a stick while an automatic would be almost impossible to do at the track if different ratios where even available. So while the modern hp automatic in theory should be as fast or faster in a race car its not practical.

So in most cases when talking older race cars a manual will be faster because the tech wasn't there yet and for practical purposes an automatic just didn't make sense.
    Last edited by morpwr; 11-02-2018 at 20:04.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega PC Racer/T300 with Heusinkveld pro pedals / VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    FYI: Someone on the GT Planet forum solved the problem for me. Just hit the center pad on the PS4 controller and the vehicle is immediately placed several feet away from the wall.

Platform
    PS4
    FYI: Someone on the GT Planet forum solved the problem for me. Just hit the center pad on the PS4 controller and the vehicle is immediately placed several feet away from the wall.
    Well this is the same thing, post #3:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bealdor View Post
    There's a reset car function available but you have to assign a hotkey for it first.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings (PC1).
    G29 FFB RAW 100-55-5-5
    The following user likes this Post: VelvetTorpedo

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I think people are mixing up what they mean by "manual". Some people would call the flappy-paddle/sequential gears manual when really they are not.

Full auto in PC2 is certainly slower than sequential or h-pattern shifting as long as you know what you are doing. Driving h-pattern cars with a proper h-pattern shifter is also faster - IF you know what you are doing and can pull off smooth changes lap after lap. However for most racers I would put money on them being faster overall with flappy-paddle even for cars with h-pattern as it is very tough to master proper heel-toe technique.
    PS4 Pro - T300 Alcantara - T3PA - TH8A - Wheel Stand Pro

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Up until about a month ago... I was using automatic gear changing in PC2. I periodically started to try using manual gears, because some insist on it for certain online activities... Initially I didn't see a whole lot of advantage to manual gear changes. One of the reasons I didn't see a lot of advantage, was due to the car I was driving... another reason was I wasn't any good at downshifting... By the way, you can downshift on your own, as well as upshift when in automatic mode, however it gets really tricky to do without the automatic part doing it before you or after you do it yourself, which ends up leaving you in the wrong gear.

Anyway, as I got better at shifting, I came to realize there are actually major advantages to manually shifting, if you do it well.

First some automatic shifting does not get done at optimal points... it varies from one car to the next. The Ferrari GT3 car has nearly perfect automatic shift points, but the BMW M6 has absolutely horrible shift points programed into it ( it should probably be changed )... But the biggest value I see in manually shifting , is in deceleration... If you get the downshifts right, it's much much quicker to get around a track, because you can brake a lot later and become much more stable in and out of the corners... Another huge advantage comes in when you really don't want to upshift just before braking for a corner, with manual it's trivial to hold the same gear for a moment or two longer while still staying on full throttle, and then at the last minute braking and downshifting at the perfect point in time ( downshifting without fear that the automatic shifted itself a fraction of a second before you yourself downshift, which would cause you big troubles when really driving near the limits ).

In auto... hold your brake peddle down until it shifts itself into reverse, then use the brake pedal to accelerate in reverse, switching to the throttle to slow yourself down in reverse... Or you could downshift until you get to reverse, and I think then the throttle works as throttle, brake as brake ( but I'm not 100% sure that's the case).

Please when online racing, don't use reset to track, unless your absolutely certain no one is coming up fast near you... There should be a way to disable reset to track in online racing, not sure why it's not a option when you set up a lobby... Ofline... feel free to use the reset button, but just know, your not really learning how to properly deal with your racing incident...
    Playstation 4, Playseat Challenge, and Logitech G29 wheel

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz555 View Post
    However for most racers I would put money on them being faster overall with flappy-paddle even for cars with h-pattern as it is very tough to master proper heel-toe technique.
    Maybe in a sim. IRL it's really not difficult to heel-toe. Takes a bit of practice and get to know your car, it's rate of rev climb/drop, feel of the clutch and shifter... you get the timing right and you can shift fast with a fair bit of finesse.
    It takes time to learn the rhythm of the car.

Have you tried paddles+clutch shifting? It's retarded
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings (PC1).
    G29 FFB RAW 100-55-5-5

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Maybe in a sim. IRL it's really not difficult to heel-toe. Takes a bit of practice and get to know your car, it's rate of rev climb/drop, feel of the clutch and shifter... you get the timing right and you can shift fast with a fair bit of finesse.
    It takes time to learn the rhythm of the car.

Have you tried paddles+clutch shifting? It's retarded
    I CANNOT heel-toe/paddle+clutch shift properly on my rig (no h-shifter). But i can heel-toe the crap out of my real car
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 980 Ti SC ACX 2.0+ | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | Formula Black Rim
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS (mostly A-10)