Thread: Noob help with wheel - Center Spring Effect?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Question Noob help with wheel - Center Spring Effect?

Hey all,

Very new to sim racing games. Purchased a T300RS and getting accustomed to setting up the wheel settings etc.

My problem, and maybe this is normal, is that I find coming off curbs and such the wheel tries to reset to center and I go flying in that direction. It's not normal is road car, not sure if it is with a racing car. Any advice on how to make that go away or not so pronounced? I did set the FFB fairly low(around 40). I don't seem to have this problem when I try Assetto Corsa. Thanks for any tips!

Trent

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by TrCan View Post
    Hey all,

Very new to sim racing games. Purchased a T300RS and getting accustomed to setting up the wheel settings etc.

My problem, and maybe this is normal, is that I find coming off curbs and such the wheel tries to reset to center and I go flying in that direction. It's not normal is road car, not sure if it is with a racing car. Any advice on how to make that go away or not so pronounced? I did set the FFB fairly low(around 40). I don't seem to have this problem when I try Assetto Corsa. Thanks for any tips!

Trent
    Do you have spring and damper set to zero in the control panel?
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega PC Racer/T300 with Heusinkveld pro pedals / VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by TrCan View Post
    My problem, and maybe this is normal, is that I find coming off curbs and such the wheel tries to reset to center
    Actually, the steering will try to go back the other way... Watch these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH0EvDvccBs&t=13s

You can reduce this effect some in PC2, but it is a real effect.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    As Mahjik stated, it is a real and accurate effect that even occurs in normal road car. It's a direct result of caster (think front wheels on a shopping cart). In the car setup, you can alter the amount of caster to fine tune this.

There are some settings both in game and and in your wheel's driver software (on pc) that will allow you to reduce/eliminate this, as some form of "fake" centering force is often introduced by the software.
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - ADATA 12GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX1060 AMP! 6GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the replies guys! I didn't play with spring or damper settings. Just bump stops as per Yorkie065's suggestion. That at least clears it up for me that it supposed to be that way. I think the force is a little strong, so just need to keep trying to adjust the wheel to a good setting. As it's a real effect I want to keep it, but should be able to wrestle it back though I think. SO much to learn...lol. Thanks for the tip on caster adjustment F1_Racer68!
    The following user likes this Post: F1_Racer68