Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: High Ping on dedicaced server since 1.4 update

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hello

I have a question for the guys that manage to get a good experience with the dedi after the patch. Where are your servers located and what are the pc settings and network bandwidth of the host?

Yesterday my group tried to use your dedi and still had some lag spikes of 500 ms and in the start of the race there was a spike and all cars slided forward causing damage to each other. :| we had to change to p2p to the race.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by twobib View Post
    No !

Player 2 ------------------- Player 1 (host) ---------------player 3

Maybe just player 1 (so the host) will have less ping than other.

And since the last little update, no ping issues. We played with less than 100 of ping yesterday on DS
    I think this is also not completely correct for the P2P mode..
    The host controls the session and maybe provides additional AI, for this data your illustration is right.
    But I think the state information of every vehicle is P2P, which means everybody communicates to everybody - full mesh.
    In your case Player 2 also communicates with Player 3 to exchange data like the position, orientation, speed, ...

If I am wrong, please correct me.
    Last edited by M. -VIPER- Morgan; 23-02-2018 at 10:56.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G | Asus M4A89TD Pro USB3 | 16GB DDR3 | Windows 7 64 Bit | Fanatec CSW V2 + Porsche 918 RSR Rim + Formula Carbon Rim + CSP V2 + CSS SQ V1.5 | TrackIR 4 | 27" 1080p
    The following user likes this Post: sas5320

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by twobib View Post
    No !

Player 2 ------------------- Player 1 (host) ---------------player 3

Maybe just player 1 (so the host) will have less ping than other.

And since the last little update, no ping issues. We played with less than 100 of ping yesterday on DS
    Are you sure of that ?
    I think you are wrong ...

P2P mode means each player sends is data to all other players directly, so there is one direct connection to each player.

With 3 players :
    Player1 ============= Player2
    Player1 ============= Player3

Player2 ============= Player1 (host)
    Player2 ============= Player3

Player3 ============= Player1 (host)
    Player3 ============= Player2

In DS mode, each player connects to the server and send data to it.
    Then it downloads all the other players data from the server.
    The following user likes this Post: sas5320

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by yons View Post
    Hello
    I have a question for the guys that manage to get a good experience with the dedi after the patch. Where are your servers located and what are the pc settings and network bandwidth of the host?
    Yesterday my group tried to use your dedi and still had some lag spikes of 500 ms and in the start of the race there was a spike and all cars slided forward causing damage to each other. :| we had to change to p2p to the race.
    I play in France, with French (or European) people so I use a server from somebody who as a good network in EU area and server located in France (OVH, from their discount offer "Kimsufi").
    If I try to use a server in USA for example the latency will be very bad !

For bandwidth, see this (from PCars1) even if the DS is different in PCars 2 this is the only information we have :
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...k-in-Progress)

Players - Download (MBit/s) - Upload (MBit/s)
    10 - 0.3 - 1
    16 - 0.5 - 3
    24 - 0.8 - 7
    32 - 1 - 12

Platform
    PC
    Hello

Who's server?

Where are you located?
    https://rwb-racing.enjin.com/forum --- https://discord.gg/MmtTXPA --- Active League - Renault RS01 Supercup

i5 8600K @ 4.8GHz \ 1080Ti \ 16GB RAM \ SSD's \ Sim-Plicity 20Nm OSW \ Fanatec Formula Black Rim USB Converted \ Fanatec v3 Pedals

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I'm located in Portugal but most of ppl are located in UK.

Yesterday we have ppl from Portugal, UK, France and US. We are using a 32 slot game server from https://www.rackservice.org located in germany. The guy who created the lobby was in UK (and did not race)

During qualy I did not notice much of lag or latency... but as I said before in the start while we were all stationary (we use a manual rolling start directed by us) everybody saw all cars jump ahead and back (rubberbanding). We were 13 in the lobby.

How much important are the host (who created the lobby) pc settings and bandwidth while using a dedi? Yesterday lobby host has a significant low end pc.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    How much important are the host (who created the lobby) pc settings and bandwidth while using a dedi? Yesterday lobby host has a significant low end pc.
    I would recommend a recent i5 (4 cores like i5-6600) minimum for hosting a DS and playing in the same time.
    Also, if using a Dedicated Server in a datacenter, avoid cheap Intel-based CPU servers as Atom, the DS run on the most part on one core, so it needs a powerful one, i3 or i5 are good ones !
    The most important thing is the bandwidth of the host (even if not a server in a datacenter, you need fiber or a solid VDSL link to have alot of UPLOAD available).
    More players = more bandwitdh needed.

10 - 0.3 - 1
    16 - 0.5 - 3
    24 - 0.8 - 7
    32 - 1 - 12

As you can see for 32 players, you need 12Mb/s for upload !
    The following user likes this Post: yons

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Khomskiy View Post
    Hello. Just wanted to comment about p2p vs DS ping values, so it's not confusing.
    It is expected to generally see higher pings to the same people while playing DS games.

In that case all traffic has to go through the server.
    Players close to each other will most likely suffer extra hop that won't be there in p2p (where players connect directly).
    I thought as much, although it wasn't clear because I decided to fail at typing.

Quote Originally Posted by FxUK View Post
    I guess this relates to me not connecting directly to those players but instead, via the dedicated server, whereas I am connecting directly to them in p2p.
    RWB Racing International
    Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals, Rift CV1 or 4K XB321HK screen. i7 6700k, 32gb Ram, 1080ti, Samsung 850 SSD, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe

Platform
    PC
    FYI, RWB Servers are located in Scotland on an 80/20 FTTP connection, running on an i5 system, soon to be upgraded to a Xeon rack server with 32GB RAM.

We have raced DS and P2P and it has been very smooth with no noticeable lag at all.

With regards to upload

10 - 0.3 - 1
    16 - 0.5 - 3
    24 - 0.8 - 7
    32 - 1 - 12

We made a list of our good hosts and limited them to 16, 24 or 32 based on their connections but we upped the requirements a bit to

10 - 0.3 - 3
    16 - 0.5 - 5
    24 - 0.8 - 10
    32 - 1 - 15

To allow for a fudge factor and spikes, it works quite well but I would advise anyone with a dedi to follow these and limit your player count to your upload connection, also account for anyone else streaming or anything that uses your upload bandwidth.

Even though we can run 32 players we run max 24 for public and keep 32 for closed room leagues.

Pings for the most part have ranged from 10 to around 60 for UK players, even Norway and the Netherlands are sub 100.
    Last edited by Charger; 23-02-2018 at 14:44.

In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Platform
    PC
    Yep, forgot to reply in here to say we've had no problems at RevolutionSimRacing since the update. Thanks for the fix, it's much appreciated from all of us at RSR
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Asus Xonar DX PCI-E soundcard // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // Logitech G29 wheel // Fanatec Clubsport v3 Pedals // Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter // NEC 24" LCD 2470WNX 1920x1200 60Hz // Oculus Rift DK2 // GT Omega Cockpit Pro w/extra bracing //
    The following user likes this Post: Rodders