Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is it with hard/soft tyres in GT3 after patch 4.0?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Refrigerant gas is very different to air. That got banned from F1, and I believe nobody else has thought to or been able to use it.

Air is ~80% nitrogen. Maybe they use straight nitrogen for it's dryness? I'd think it makes bugger all difference TBH.
    They do use it for dryness and less variables. It actually does help quite a bit in a race car passenger car its a waste. I actually worked on a nitrogen dryer because we found tanks of nitrogen varied greatly in moisture content. Unfortunately for the guy that owned the car and at the time worked for a major commercial drier company nascar wouldn't allow it in the pits. But it did work very well for managing tire growth and keeping things consistent.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce gtx1080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega PC Racer/T300 with Heusinkveld pro pedals / VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/
    The following 3 users likes this Post: GrimeyDog, hkraft300, Ryori San

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
    I'm really confused with those tires.
    Being initially convincing (after patch3) about their realistic behaviour, right now those tires are close to what I think is proper. The only one thing I think is a bit off: a wear, especially in higher temps.
    Yesterday we did 1h race (GT3@BrandsHatch) with 35*C-40*C of track temp. Soft tires was performing very well reaching about 105*C-110C while pushing hard and lasted for a whole race without need to change, because final wear was about 50%.

Is such little wear proper?
    I think current GT3 cars do have such low tire wear.

Here in germany we have the "ADAC GT Masters", a GT3 series with two 60 minute races per weekend. There has to be taken one mandatory pitstop in each race, but only to switch drivers (there are two drivers sharing each car).
    Tire changes are not intended, unless there are climate changes (i.e. dry->wet or wet->dry) or a tire has been damaged and if nothing special happens, the tires do hold up for the whole distance of 60 minutes in that series.

So I'd guess that the low tire wear in PC2 is indeed correct (at least for the GT3 cars).
    CPU: AMD FX-8350 | GPU: XFX AMD RX580 8GB GTS Black Edition | Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 24GB DDR3 PC3 1600 | Peripherals: LG 34UM67-P 21:9 (Monitor) | T300 RS (Wheel) | T3PA-PRO (Pedals) | TH8A (Shifter) | Playseat Challenge (Playseat)
    The following user likes this Post: OddTimer

Platform
    PC
    To simplify all this and ground it in reality. The goal is to get tires to a sustained optimal operating temperature and stay there as much as possible. Any changes and adjustments are simply to achieve that. There is core temps and surface temps but they arenít really monitored because a driver can feel it very clearly, with pressure being the only exception. The only part that is sometimes measured is surface temps of the tire accross the full width of the tread, but scrub patterns tend to show this prior to needing temp readings.

As we arenít pro drivers, but do have pro driver tools in PC2, one of the leading indicators is looking at your surface temps accross all 3 areas of a tire, inner, mid, and outer. This is especially important after youíve reached optimal temp because too much camber for instance, can artificially effect uneven heating. So caster, toe, and camber need to be appropriate for the track you are on. As you watch the telemetry, and the tires naturally cool in a straight, you need to look for how and what parts of the tire heat up through the turns. If itís nice and even then youíve got the front setup about as good as itís going to get.

The problem most people have, that makes it a tough topic to discuss here is whether your driving the car well enough to reach optimum temps. Some drivers scrub their tires a lot with over steer, spiking temps, others who strive to be smooth donít work them hard enough, and the oddity with either is they could both be putting in the same lap times. This in-turn reveals both could be doing a lot more to improve their times but how each can improve is very different. But I digress.

In short, just pay attention to sustaining temps through the twisties, with the understanding they will fluctuate but should never exceed the optimal range. Also, your better off dealing with cooler tires than over heating them in any instances. The telemetry screen and basic alignment knowledge is really all you need. Race engineers joke that tires are voodoo black magic but they arenít hard to figure out.
    Last edited by Lawndarts; 16-02-2018 at 15:12.
    i7 4.4GHz - 16Gigs - 1080 GTX - 3x Screens (5900x1080) & VR - CSW v2 - CSP v3
    The following 5 users likes this Post: ant1897, bazzalaar, Fight-Test, hkraft300, Mad Al

Platform
    PS4
    PC2 tires have a fairly broad operating range for temps and pressures. For hard tires you're looking at >70℃ and soft <90℃ tire temps. Pressures for GT and prototypes anywhere between 1.6-1.9 bar as per Ringley's sticky post.

So tweak and see which gets you the best performance. Obviously when you tune your tires to either extreme you have little room to play. For example, 1.9 bar pressures at Spa is good for a clean lap but a little mistake or heat of battle might shoot the tires beyond its happy range and you're screwed. Work to your abilities and circumstances. Getting the tires switched on will probably net you the best gains in tuning terms.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."
    G29 settings (PC1).
    G29 FFB RAW 100-55-5-5

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    PC2 tires have a fairly broad operating range for temps and pressures. For hard tires you're looking at >70℃ and soft <90℃ tire temps. Pressures for GT and prototypes anywhere between 1.6-1.9 bar as per Ringley's sticky post.

So tweak and see which gets you the best performance. Obviously when you tune your tires to either extreme you have little room to play. For example, 1.9 bar pressures at Spa is good for a clean lap but a little mistake or heat of battle might shoot the tires beyond its happy range and you're screwed. Work to your abilities and circumstances. Getting the tires switched on will probably net you the best gains in tuning terms.
    You mean 70 and 90 F right?
    Steam: Miata_Brah
    7700k, 1080ti, Rift, G27

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysalami View Post
    You mean 70 and 90 F right?
    No, Celsius.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
    No, Celsius.
    Oh you're right, I was thinking track temps. duh, should have paid more attention
    Steam: Miata_Brah
    7700k, 1080ti, Rift, G27