Thread: Helmet camera, show helmet in VR.

Platform
    PC

Helmet camera, show helmet in VR.

Thanks SMS for the latest patch.

Just wondering if show helmet option is supposed to have such a large FPS hit?
    This option is really great but rather unusable atm due to the hit.
    Will this get some optimisation in coming patch?
    I hope so as it really add to the feel of wearing a helmet instead of this ski mask.
    GPU: Galax GTX 1080Ti EXOC/ CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz(So Far!)/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s / Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz/ PSU: Coolermaster V750/ Storage: 2TB WD / Kingston 120GB SSD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Sony 55" @ 3840x2160p / Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 / McLaren GT3 / Formula Carbon / CS Universal Hub/ Pedals: CSR Elite/ FTW / VR: Oculus Rift / :
    The following user likes this Post: morpwr

Platform
    PC
    Good post, it's such a shame its a massive fps hit, as it really does add to immersion when driving certain cars. Not sure why it's so heavy on fps, but either way, would be great if it was optimised so it was usable.
    Steam: Francis013 / GPU: GTX 1080 / CPU: i7 6700k 4.5ghz / RAM: 16 GB / VR: Rift / Wheel: G29
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BigDad, morpwr

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Francisnf View Post
    Good post, it's such a shame its a massive fps hit, as it really does add to immersion when driving certain cars. Not sure why it's so heavy on fps, but either way, would be great if it was optimised so it was usable.
    Yeah, it's weird because it removes a whole heap of visual information so I would have thought it would actually give a boost in performance.
    GPU: Galax GTX 1080Ti EXOC/ CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz(So Far!)/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s / Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz/ PSU: Coolermaster V750/ Storage: 2TB WD / Kingston 120GB SSD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: Sony 55" @ 3840x2160p / Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2 / McLaren GT3 / Formula Carbon / CS Universal Hub/ Pedals: CSR Elite/ FTW / VR: Oculus Rift / :

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
    Yeah, it's weird because it removes a whole heap of visual information so I would have thought it would actually give a boost in performance.
    No, because it doesn't stop rendering stuff that's covert by your helmet. Everything you cannot see because your line of sight is blocked, is still fully rendered. Reducing render by blocked line of sight is a new tech which Nvidia and AMD are currently researching.
    So in you case with the helmet cam, you're actually having MORE stuff to render instead of less.

When this new tech really breaks through, I think we'll see some nice performance improvements. Currently, Ai cars and your car parts are always fully rendered (at their respective LOD level). With the new LOS technique, the engine could stop rendering those parts of Ai cars you can't see currently because they're on the averted side of the car, which could easily save 25% polygons per each AI car and probably trackside stuff too.

But until this happens, every additional object on the screen comes with a performance impact, even if it blocks the LOS to other objects.
    Last edited by Invincible; 13-02-2018 at 07:23.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    No, because it doesn't stop rendering stuff that's covert by your helmet. Everything you cannot see because your line of sight is blocked, is still fully rendered. Reducing render by blocked line of sight is a new tech which Nvidia and AMD are currently researching.
    So in you case with the helmet cam, you're actually having MORE stuff to render instead of less.

When this new tech really breaks through, I think we'll see some nice performance improvements. Currently, Ai cars and your car parts are always fully rendered (at their respective LOD level). With the new LOS technique, the engine could stop rendering those parts of Ai cars you can't see currently because they're on the averted side of the ca

But until this happens, every additional object on the screen comes with a performance impact, even if it blocks the LOS to other objects.
    Okay, that makes sense, it will be great when this tech becomes commonplace then. I guess it will be upto developers to implement also.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
    I guess it will be upto developers to implement also.
    Idk about this. I think the goal is to make this work on any game, just by changing the render on the GPU side. Probably will some devs still implement it into their game development to make better use of it.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro