Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying to understand the TCR class

Platform
    PC

trying to understand the TCR class

hi guys

I have a somewhat little problem that I can't resolve: in the TCR class, I use the Opel Astra. I know, it's an FF car and the Megane is better. or the BMW. but those 2 cars doesn't interest me. I like to be different than the others anyway. my problem is, no matter what I do in the setup, the car slides everytime I brake or release the brake pedal. I don't know if it is the same for the other FF cars in the class, but I can't seem to find the correct setup to stabilize the rear under braking. I already tried to put the Megane setup in the Astra. it drives already better and just a bit faster but still, that braking ovesteer is annoying. someone can help?

thanks in advance

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Those FWD TC cars were easily destabilized when the game was out, but after a couple patches they became much more planted, not seeing the effect you describe. Could it be your pressures are very low or high or the tires are still very cold? If any of that happens, yes you would have trouble like that, but this is common for all cars.

One other thing, the default brake bias setting for those cars is too much to the front, so it is extremely easy to lock the front wheels under braking. If you also try to steer while the fronts are locked, you will not be turning and you might be applying even more steering. As a result, when you stop braking (and the wheels are not locked anymore), you will find yourself with a lot of sudden steering and grip on the fronts, which will cause a very abrupt turn of the car.

But, in general, those cars have much lift off oversteer (especially in high speeds), not oversteer when braking or throttling.

Platform
    PC
    that's wierd because that's exactly what I have. on both cold and hot tyres. I brake, at medium to high speed and the rear starts to slide. I release the brake and the car gets sideways. maybe I'm too agressive on the brake, but as I use an hydraulic brake, it's quite strange

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    FWD racing cars are designed with both lift oversteer and really rearwards brake bias, as well as a rock stiff rear end, to overcome their inherent understeer issues. Learning to use that inherent oversteer when not on the throttle to your advantage and adjusting the balance of the car with your inputs is often the key to being fast with them.

You don't really smooth them into corners off throttle like you would an RWD car, as soon as you want to do anything other than slow down you should have pressure on the throttle to pull the front of the car along. If you need to turn sharper, lift the throttle a bit, if it's rotating too much, give it more gas. If you're in a high speed bend and don't want to get off the power, you can tap the brakes while keeping the throttle on.

However if you still want less oversteer under these conditions, there are some things you can do, e.g. reducing engine braking compensation (i.e. higher engine braking number, low gives you more engine braking), moving the brake bias forwards, or increasing the front coast locking amount (i.e. reduce the angle, 20 degrees gives you maximum locking, 90 degrees is fully open).
    The following 7 users likes this Post: Alibi_GT, Fight-Test, Jetsun, John Hargreaves, Mad LL, RomKnight, Sessionerror

Platform
    PC
    ok. I'll try those things. thanks Jussi

Platform
    PC
    i found the issue: the rear tyres had too much pressure in the default setup. for the amount of weight that the rear has, the rear tyres can't heat with the 1,55 bar. so, I reduced it by around 0.10 br and the car slides less in cold tyres, the rear gets hotter and it almost doesn't slide anymore
    The following user likes this Post: Jussi Karjalainen

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Oh yeah that's a good way to tune it too, great that you found it. =)

FWIW IRL touring cars like these struggle getting any heat into the rears too. Often on races where there are two sessions one after the other, they'll swap the fronts and rears so that they can start the second race with tyres that are still slightly warmed from the first session, because there's not that much they can do about it otherwise.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Mad LL, Maskmagog, Mbondracing, Sessionerror, VelvetTorpedo

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4
    Curious as to knowing if the Renault Megane has been slowed since release? Any feedback is appreciated thanks.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yes, it has been slowed down a lot, something like 2 seconds or more per lap.

It was justified to do it, because it was by far the fastest in its class, just wish the leaderboards for this car where reset now, so it makes sense again to do some TT laps with it...

Now its speed is very balanced with the BMW, and the other cars in the class are close. Only thing is that the BMW has a lot better race starts (being RWD), so even if you get pole with the Megane in online, you're guaranteed to be 4th by T1
    The following user likes this Post: TRL_CAGE

Platform
    PC
    the megane is as fast as the astra. I know it because I raced against the megane in my astra. I had the same stock setup than the megane in it. it's mainsly the weight distribution. but I think that there's one or two settings more to change on the astra
    The following user likes this Post: TRL_CAGE