Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't keep heat in Ligier LMP-3 Brakes and Tires

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC

Can't keep heat in Ligier LMP-3 Brakes and Tires

I know the car isn't popular but does anyone else have an issue keeping heat in the brakes and hard tires for the Ligier LMP-3?

I've completely closed the brake ducts but the brakes don't hold their heat and their doesn't seem to be heat soak into the tires. I've adjust the tire pressures a little bit higher and lower from the default pressures but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I haven't done tests on the soft tires or the Ginetta does anyone have any setup tips that might help for the LMP3? My "tricks" for regulating tire temps in other cars don't seem to work with this

Platform
    PS4
    What ambient and track temp are you running on?
    I've only driven the Ginetta P3 (love it). The brakes can drop to a minimum of ~300℃. If the track conditions are too cold you an switch to soft tires and run closed brake ducts you'll be OK for grip.
    Otherwise a screenshot or 3 would be handy for the devs to have a look at.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: Fight-Test

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks hkraft. I forgot to check track and ambient temps . Just re-did my test at brands in the summer 27C ambient 42C track. Everything was up to temp.

I don't think the hards have quite the range as the GT3 hards but will need to test more.

Platform
    PS4
    42c track at brands should be hard tire territory.
    You could try soft if the peak temp stays <90℃.
    Aim for a hot pressure of ~1.7bar for this track.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    42c track at brands should be hard tire territory.
    Depending on a lot of things really, if you have enough aero grip that you're not slipping much you might be able to get away with softs, especially on LMP and GTE cars where there's more overlap between softs and hard than in GT3 and GT4.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Jetsun, Sessionerror

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jussi Karjalainen View Post
    Depending on a lot of things really, if you have enough aero grip that you're not slipping much you might be able to get away with softs, especially on LMP and GTE cars where there's more overlap between softs and hard than in GT3 and GT4.
    Jussi. Is there any type of rule of thumb for using soft vs. hards with the new patch? Before it was use softs below 25 degrees Celsius track temp. What about now? Also, I'm talking about all cars with this choice, not just LMP2s. Lastly, would you say Casey's tire pressure ranges are still what we should be shooting for and not worry about temperatures as much as pressures still? Thanks in advance.

Platform
    PS4
    If you have enough Aero grip + high track temp wouldn't that cook the soft tires anyway? They don't seem to tolerate sliding as well as hard tires, especially in the overlap conditions.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by RC-5PO View Post
    Jussi. Is there any type of rule of thumb for using soft vs. hards with the new patch? Before it was use softs below 25 degrees Celsius track temp. What about now? Also, I'm talking about all cars with this choice, not just LMP2s. Lastly, would you say Casey's tire pressure ranges are still what we should be shooting for and not worry about temperatures as much as pressures still? Thanks in advance.
    Other than for a few specific cars we haven't adjusted the temperature ranges significantly since launch, so for the most part things should be close to what they were. The biggest difference between softs and hards is in GT3/GT4 and other classes based on those compounds like Huracan SuperTrofeo, where the idea is to put most focus on the Hard tyres and have Softs mainly as a low temperature option when nothing else works, since most series only allow Hards normally, and don't run in as varied conditions as we have to account for. For cars other than GT3 you might want to consider swapping earlier since the difference isn't as great, and there can be a significant difference in how early a car can start using Softs.

That said 25C definitely sounds like temperatures where I'd want to drive a few laps with both tyres to see how they react.

Pressures should be pretty much the same, though I personally never really used them for temperature adjustments. I pick whichever tyres seem to run at closer to their happy area and adjust pressures so that when they're hot the pressures get to where they're supposed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    If you have enough Aero grip + high track temp wouldn't that cook the soft tires anyway? They don't seem to tolerate sliding as well as hard tires, especially in the overlap conditions.
    My experience with my driving style at least has been that more downforce = less overheating. Of course high track/ambient temp can still cook the tyres, but I find I can often swap to softs in much warmer conditions when driving LMP1/2/3 cars than I can with GTE cars.

Basically my rule of thumb is that if your hards aren't getting to 85 C consistently, or your softs are going past 95 C consistently, try swapping your tyres.
    The following 6 users likes this Post: davekojo, hkraft300, Jetsun, Mad LL, OddTimer, RC-5PO

Platform
    PS4
    Basically my rule of thumb is that if your hards aren't getting to 85 C consistently, or your softs are going past 95 C consistently, try swapping your tyres.
    This works for me.
    See how the tires are working despite the conditions. Use what works best.
    Some people seem to think there are magic numbers/ settings will bring them magic pace.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Over the weekend I've had time to do some more thorough testing.

My temp "problem" was more Areo related than anything else. I was applying my GT3 setup philosophy to the cars. Thanks to Jussi's explanation it makes sense as to why it wasn't working.

For my hard tire setup I need to trim the areo so the car will slide more generating more heat in the tires. For softs I can use more areo and keep the tires where they need to be.

What is more interesting to me (which I discussed in WMD but assumed wasn't implemented) is that the two compounds appear to converge over 2 stints (at least with my driving style and setups). My pace on the soft tire was faster than the hard in normal racing conditions. However I could realistically only single stint the softs. Although I was slower on the hards I could double stint them without problem and hold a reasonable lap time. Based on my lap times i did some quick calculations. The time to change tires during a pit stop leads to the race duration/laps able to be completed being the same for a double stint race on both tires (pit stop is faster on hard tires as they don't need to be changed like the softs).

I suspect the GTE, LMP2 and LMP1 tires have a similar performance gap. So this may come in handy for you endurance racers looking for a clever strategy advantage.
    Last edited by davekojo; 25-02-2018 at 22:56.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: bmanic, Demon340, hkraft300, Jussi Karjalainen