Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft slicks. Its all in the mind [maybe?]

Superkart Pilot racesafegrandad's Avatar
    Platform
    PS4

Soft slicks. Its all in the mind [maybe?]

I got down to a 1:49.8 at Monza in my Porsche 911r having put on soft slicks after the latest patch and was able to win a multiplayer race.
    Then I went back into the setup and found I had hard slicks on?
    Confidence in your race car is worth an extra second a lap anytime in my opinion!
    Last edited by racesafegrandad; 23-02-2018 at 10:53.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Raklodder

Superkart Pilot
    I actually had the same thing happen to me last night while trying out the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 (2016) at the Bathurst Mount Panorama circuit when I noticed I was using a harder tire compound.

I was amazed by how fast I was going (hopefully not a bug) but I think that may be because of how good the ffb has become (at least on PC) by using Jack Spade's SopDiff profiles for my G920.

Platform
    PC
    also depends on track temps. if its super hot, hards will have a ton of grip.
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | Formula F1 2018 Wheel
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS F/A-18C
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    What temperature is recommended to use Hard Tire?

Platform
    PC
    depends on the track. but usually anything above 30-35C seems to be number. tracks like monza, daytona, and le mans you can run softs at a higher temp due to the long straights.
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | Formula F1 2018 Wheel
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS F/A-18C

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    It has been mentioned many times by the devs that softs are not meant to be faster than the hard tires, they are only meant to be used in cold conditions, where hards do not get up to temperature.

After patch 4, the working temperature operating window for the softs has been widened, so they can be used in more cases, but in general the hards are still faster or as fast as the softs (at optimal conditions for both). At least this is what I see from my own testing with the GT3 cars and that's also what other people are telling me during online races. That is, unless the track is cold and the hard tires cannot get up to temperature, in which case the softs can be much faster.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, F1_Racer68, Mbondracing

Platform
    PC
    I find the current softs to be a little faster over a single lap, but inconsistent with less than ideal temperatures for more than a handful of laps. When having to battle with a another car, softs can get a little squirrely if you are driving hard which causes even more heat to make the situation worse. Hards are more consistent for me over longer stints as to be expected.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 3 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, F1_Racer68, Mbondracing

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    I find the current softs to be a little faster over a single lap, but inconsistent with less than ideal temperatures for more than a handful of laps. When having to battle with a another car, softs can get a little squirrely if you are driving hard which causes even more heat to make the situation worse. Hards are more consistent for me over longer stints as to be expected.
    Thanks for your info, needs more testing then. Couple days ago I broke my personal records in time trial with the 488 in RBR (1:28.9) and Hockenheimring (1:38.8) by using hard tires and only doing single laps, while softs seemed a little slower to me in the beginning, and much slower by the end of the lap. But I will try again with the softs, maybe I just need more laps with them to get more familiar to how they work.

Platform
    PC
    FWIW, in real life, I'm slower with the softer compounds. I'm just not aggressive enough in real life to make the soft tires work so I use a harder compound. PC2 is not that different as you do need a slightly different driving style with the softs than the hards to make the most out of them.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    Yeah in ideal soft conditions they are deffo quicker than hards in their ideal conditions. However you have to choose them wisely for a race as while they might have rocked in qualy for 3 or 4 laps, it often is better to switch to hards for the race where a few laps in the hards come into their own as the softs are going off. Had a few races now where it was softs for qualy and the dudes who beat me in qualy stayed on softs, pulled away the first few laps then started struggling and I passed them easily on hards.

It's good to have decisions on compounds to make now.
    https://rwb-racing.enjin.com/forum --- https://discord.gg/MmtTXPA --- Casual PCars 2 Player

i5 8600K @ 4.8GHz \ 1080Ti \ 16GB RAM \ SSD's \ Sim-Plicity 20Nm OSW \ Fanatec Formula Black Rim USB Converted \ Fanatec v3 Pedals
    The following 3 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, F1_Racer68, Fight-Test