Thread: Tire life confusion!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Tire life confusion!

Hi all, I'm new to PC2, still learning and have come across quite a confusing (for me) issue. It's a broad issue however I'll use an example to explain myself. In the Ferrari 488 GT3, at Oschersleben. Temps below 30 so using the soft tire. During the tune process I set pressures to reach the ideal operating pressure of 1.8bar. Then, at the start of the race and in the first laps the tires balloon beyond 2.0bar...why is this happening is it a set up issue or a ME issue? Also, it snows during the race. So I pit for the appropriate tire, and the tire pressure/temps drop like a stone to the point the car is undrivable, no matter what I do. Again, is this a set up issue or a ME issue? I'd really be grateful for any advice, I'm running PC platform with the Thrustmaster T300rs. Thanks!

Platform
    PS4
    Setup issues.
    1: how many laps did you run during tuning? It takes 6-8 laps for the pressure and temp to settle. If your brakes keeping getting hotter in that time, your pressures can run away from you. Also the game race start has automatic warming so after green light it'll take a few laps for the car to settle.

2: you'll have to adjust tire pressures for the cool conditions. Reduce temp leads to reduce pressure and vice versa. Pump more air in. You'll have to save the tire pressures in your pit strategy in the pre-race ready menu.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the advice, I think I get it...! So to clarify, it's normal enough for the tires to balloon out as they'll resettle back down to the pressures I set? Also, for tyres to work better in cooler conditions I need higher start temps or lower? �� thanks again!

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Gave this a quick bash here, will conduct a more thorough look next week, but testing on the track, car and conditions you mentioned, as well as on another track in hotter conditions with Hard tyres, using a Custom Race with Practice and Race sessions, I couldn't replicate this. If I drove the car in practice for long enough that the tyre temps and pressures started to stabilize, and my pressures where I wanted on around lap 6, when I started the race on warm tyres the pressures were stable for at least 6 laps of the race, hitting the level that I had set in practice. This with both conditions tested.

Something like what you're talking about can and has happened due to some discrepancies in how the pressure simulation works when starting cold and warming up the tyres and brakes (which bleed heat into the inner air via the wheel rims) naturally, vs. using the simplified pre-heating system, but we have been tweaking that and at least with the current version I'm testing it should be working pretty much correctly. I'll do sanity checks next week on the public build to make sure that any updates have gone through properly.

Incidentally when testing the 488 GT3 on Softs at Oschersleben (default date, Heavy cloud, starting time around 14:00, temps way below 30C) they were still overheating badly on me, reaching 90C within just a couple of laps and going past 100C at times by the end. The Soft GT3 tyres are at their happiest when they're around 70-80C, so this is overheating them quite severely, especially if you intend to push for multiple laps in a row. Trying out the Hard tyres I was still getting to 90+C after about 3 laps, but these tyres love to be there, and my laptimes were instantly about a second quicker than what I'd managed on the Softs, they were less sketchy in situations where pushing hard generated some slip (like struggling through the tight bends and accelerating super hard), and remained consistent once they warmed up, unlike the Softs.

For a quick qualifying run of just a couple of laps the Softs are probably the way to go, since they get up to temp so quickly, but for any sort of prolonged running, and if you're starting on hot tyres I'd personally still go with the Hards there. Though that's just me, if you're faster there on Softs then that's what works for you and your style. There's a clear difference in practice session with them, the Hards take about as many laps to come alive as the Softs take to start overheating. =)

EDIT: And also to note, GTE, LMP123 etc. Softs might well handle the situation better, since the gap between those and their respective Hard tyres isn't as big. This is a deliberate design feature, series running cars like GTE etc. often allow quite a lot of freedom in what tyre compounds (even manufacturers) the teams can use, whereas GT3 based series tend to limit the available compounds really tightly. Most often the only available tyre is the Hard tyre, with the series tyre supplier not even delivering anything else than those and wet tyres to the races, unless special circumstances arrive. Hence why we made GT3 Hards the primary choice for the majority of conditions, and based the Softs on the more extreme Soft compounds that are designed to work primarily in really cold conditions.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks Jussi that's really interesting and handy to know. I'm just going softs as auto choice due to low air/track temps but gonna go back and crank some hard tyre laps for a test!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Just a question.... (not really clear from your first post)
    Are you setting the pressures to 1.8 in the setup menu?
    - if you are, then that's likely the issue. You want them to get to 1.8 after they heat up, not when cold. Try starting between 1.3 and 1.4. Then after several laps they should get to the intended 1.8 range.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat
    The following 4 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Jussi Karjalainen, leeroy98, Lowndes888

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hey Atak, no I wasn't setting them at 1.8, however I think I was setting them too close to it and not doing enough laps to get a proper gauge as to how they developed. I had a race at Nurburgring National and things went a lot better. Thanks for the suggested starting pressures, it gives me an idea as to where to start!

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowndes888 View Post
    Also, it snows during the race. So I pit for the appropriate tire
    Oh, I meant to respond to this earlier: If you're not driving in "Snow" climate, even if the weather is set to snowing, it's in the end essentially just water. Snow comes down on a track that's above freezing, it melts there. So just like in real life, unless you have a layer of snow on the ground you're not going to need snow tyres, you need tyres that can handles the water resulting from the melting snow.

I don't know whether you pitted for the Ice tyres or just Wets, but thought I'd mention this anyway so that everyone can see it and keep it in mind. =)
    The following 3 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Lowndes888, Mad LL

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the help everyone, it's making more sense now and my lap times are much improved, especially in the wet!