Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble building a period-correct '97 Cobra TA tune

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC

Having trouble building a period-correct '97 Cobra TA tune

So the other night I ran a few laps in the Trans/Am Cobra and decided to try a period-correct setup with the Detroit Locker-style ratcheting diff swapped into the SMS stable tune, wow that became a mess quick! On fast tracks it's not too bad when it's locked under power but turn in after braking whips the car around into a spin before I can blink. Anyone here know how the guys set up their cars back then to deal with this? Or am I just not skilled enough to catch it before it spins?
    CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 4GB GDDR5X
    Memory: 16GB DDR4
    Mobo: Asus X99-DELUXE
    Controller: Xbox One gamepad

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by r4y30n View Post
    So the other night I ran a few laps in the Trans/Am Cobra and decided to try a period-correct setup with the Detroit Locker-style ratcheting diff swapped into the SMS stable tune, wow that became a mess quick! On fast tracks it's not too bad when it's locked under power but turn in after braking whips the car around into a spin before I can blink. Anyone here know how the guys set up their cars back then to deal with this? Or am I just not skilled enough to catch it before it spins?
    The reason you are not getting responses is that the Default LSD for this car is a Clutch LSD. To get the car to turn with your LSD you have to set the car up loose and power the rear end into a slide and try to catch it as you are already attempting.
    The rear damper Slow bump is at 4400 so you could try going way up an see if you can get it to slide with the least amount of power applied. You are a pioneer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2018-03-04 21-28-41-13.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	251163
    Meh, nevermind, it slides to easy.
    Last edited by blinkngone; 05-03-2018 at 02:01.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Platform
    PC
    Ok, I managed to beat a Default setup at Silverstone National with your ratchet LSD. I have one arm and my legs don't work much but it is possible. What time have you run in TT at Silverstone National? I used to run 52s with this car in PC1 at this track. So I am now 5 seconds slower but it could be a combination of the ratchet and my reduced abilities.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2018-03-04 22-26-32-71.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	251166
    Last edited by blinkngone; 05-03-2018 at 02:34.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    The single biggest thing you should change when swapping over to a ratcheting diff is engine braking. With no deceleration locking to help you, engine braking is your worst enemy. The default engine braking compensation setting on the stable setup is 3, for ratcheting I'd recommend 12 as a starting point (higher than that car start causing some run-away throttle issues).

After that the next biggest thing is driving style: Brake in a straight line, always keep some pressure on the throttle when turning, even during entry. Only if you specifically need to tuck in tighter do you lift the throttle, and even then avoid lifting it completely. And since you have almost no engine braking at this point, you can move the brake bias towards the rear. Testing at Road America I got a pretty good starting point by taking the Loose setup, switching to the ratcheting diff, increasing engine braking compensation to 12 and setting brake bias to 52/48 and pressure to 88%.

Ratcheting diffs aren't great for racing. It was said by many to be the worst possible diff for racing, after the completely open diff (all the downsides of the ratcheting but you can't put power down as well).
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Mad LL, r4y30n

Platform
    PC
    Yeah, I can't manipulate the throttle very well anymore but I am trying to feather it through corner entry and exit. Still I am slower than I would like. I am also not braking very well which makes throttle control more difficult. Ran a 0:57.255 which is better but I need to make up seconds. I can only do 1 lap at a time so the tires are messing up being not stable or up to pressure and temperature.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by r4y30n View Post
    Hi, would you mind running your ratchet at Silverstone National TT so I have something to shoot for? Don't know if I can help you out much but I can try.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Hi, would you mind running your ratchet at Silverstone National TT so I have something to shoot for? Don't know if I can help you out much but I can try.
    Blink, I'd be happy to give some help and register a time myself as well. Should I be using the setup from your TT lap, does this one have the diff setup as you want it? (I'm really clueless about diff terminology, only thing I know is how to adjust my standard angles/preload diff )

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Blink, I'd be happy to give some help and register a time myself as well. Should I be using the setup from your TT lap, does this one have the diff setup as you want it? (I'm really clueless about diff terminology, only thing I know is how to adjust my standard angles/preload diff )
    Thanks! Yes mine has Jussi's recommendations as well as the ratchet. Appreciate it!
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Platform
    PC
    Oh, cpcdem could you run a Default Loose setup before you go to the ratchet so we have a guidepost?

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I just did a lap with your setup, wow that was interesting, plenty lift off oversteer! There's more time available, as you will see I made a couple mistakes, if you want me to do a better lap, please tell me!

About comparing setups, I did much practice in Algarve with the same car on default, will now try some laps with your special setup as well and will compare (will just put the radiator back to 75% to make the comparison fair).