Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Cars 2 Gear Ratio Calculator

Platform
    PC

Project Cars 2 Gear Ratio Calculator

Download here:

Project Cars 2 Gear Ratio Calculator V0.5

I was inspired by Jussi Karjalainen's amazing suspension calculator to start work on a tool to make work of tuning gear ratios more efficient. The pale yellow cells are editable by the user. Calculations are done in green cells.

To use the calculator:

Input available gear ratios and final drive ratios for the specific car (A2-A37, C2-C25). Available ratios can be found by scrolling through the ratios in the "ECU/Engine/Gearing" tab in the car setup menu. This populates drop-down lists that will make the rest of the steps much faster!

Use the drop-down lists to select current final drive ratio and gear ratio (G1-G9).

Calculate the wheel size for your car: Choose the highest gear you can hit redline in (D28) (Usually 2nd highest gear). Select the current final drive ratio and the gear ratio for that gear (D26-D27), and record the speed at redline (D29).

Input the RPM at the shift point (D32). Note: the optimum shift point may not be at the engine's max RPM (redline RPM), depending on the engine's power characteristics. If you don't know the optimal shift point, you can use the RPM at redline.

Optional: If different from the shift point RPM, users can input redline RPM, max power RPM, and power-band start RPM to draw pretty lines on the graph (D33-D35). These lines only serve cosmetic purpose on the graph, but can be useful for reference when choosing gear ratios. The powerband start RPM defaults to a formula that approximates where the engine might start to enter the powerband, but only works if the RPM at shift point is different from the RPM at redline. Minimum race speed and maximum race speed also draw lines on the graph, and are optional as well (D36-D37). Min and max speeds can by found by simply racing the track and noting the min and max speedometer readings.

Change highest gear ratio to achieve desired max speed. In the example, the highest gear is 6th. The theoretical max speed of the gearbox at the shift point and at redline are shown in cells Q4 and Q7. If it's over the set desired max speed, the cell turns green. The idea is usually to just hit the shift point or redline in last gear, with a little room for extra speed while drafting. In my example, I exceed the RPM I would normally shift at, but do not hit the engine limiter in last gear.

With first gear, there are two ways you would generally go about choosing a ratio: If the race is a standing start, set the ratio as high as possible to launch without much wheelspin. If the race is not a standing start, it can be set so at the minimum race speed, the RPM is at the powerband start. Depending on the minimum race speed, this way may make it difficult to start from a dead stop (i.e. after a crash or pitstop). In my example, I have chosen a ratio that is a compromise between starting from a dead stop and accelerating out of the slowest corner.

Continue to adjust the remaining ratios between 1st and last, keeping in mind the speed range (N2-N9) and minimum RPM (O2-O9) for each gear. You want the speed range for each gear to be close to the same, except for 1st gear. In general, you don't want the lower gears' minimum RPM to be above the powerband start, as this might forces you to shift very quickly. In my example, the speed ranges are fairly consistent, getting slightly smaller in the higher gears, which is ok. Usually it's not possible to get them perfect, because you only have so many ratios to choose from, but close enough will work.

To-do list:

• Create a dropdown menu of all cars with changeable gearboxes, so manual entry of available gear ratios, wheel size, redline, and max power is not needed.
    • Create another tool for tire pressure/temperature and camber calculations. (In progress)

Let me know what you think! I'd love any feedback or ideas for new features!
    Last edited by klw7890; 19-03-2018 at 21:18.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Thanks! I look forward to trying this out tonight.

Handling QA Lead Jussi Karjalainen's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Good man! Lovely to see people work on this kind of stuff. I had planned on doing it myself but now I won't have to. =)

Could a mod sticky this?
    The following user likes this Post: g.stew

Platform
    PC
    I'd made a much more limited version of my own for one set of gear ratios, so I'll definitely keep this one bookmarked. Nice work.
    ...because simcar

Rig: Intel i7-8770k @ 3.7GHz | MSI Z370 GAMING M5 | MSI GTX980ti GAMING 6G | G.SKILL TridentZ 32Gb DDR4 | NZXT H400 case w/ Kraken x62 AIO cooler | Oculus Rift CV1 | LG 34UC88-B ultrawide (3440x1440 @ 60Hz) | Windows 10 Pro

Gear: Fanatec CSW v2.5 w/ Clubsport GT rim, CSR Elite pedals & shifter

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jussi Karjalainen View Post
    Good man! Lovely to see people work on this kind of stuff. I had planned on doing it myself but now I won't have to. =)

Could a mod sticky this?
    Done!
    Project CARS 2 T150 & T300 RS
    PC's used during WMD 2
    PC 1 Win 10 Home 64bit MSI 970 Gamer/FX-8350(4.2), 16GB Crucial, Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC (MSI AfterBurner 1100 and 1425)
    PC 2 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime X370-Pro/Ryzen 7 1700X 3.77 GHz, 32 GB Corsair Veng 3200 @ 2933,
    MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 120/89/137/425)
    PC 3 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime Z270-A/i7 7700K 4.5 GHz, 32 GB GSKILL Trident White 3200, EVGA SC GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 109/89/124/425) Oculus Rift CV1 (VR Cover for eyewear)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: g.stew, Jussi Karjalainen

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I tried it out last night and it was very useful. I was able to get my exact Shift RPM, Speed @ Shift in 1st, and Min/Max Race Speed from my saved telemetry data in vrHive, so it was easy to get started.

The only problem I ran into was with Excel 2013. The Max Speed(L4) and the lines on the graph for Powerband Start RPM, Max Power RPM and Redline RPM don't work. As soon as I change anything in D1-D9 they disappear. The Max Speed formula (the part I can see) is using MAXIFS, which is only available in Excel 2016. I'm not sure if it's the same problem with the graph lines, or if they depend on the value of L4.

It still works great without those, but I'm not sure if there is an alternative way to calculate those without MAXIFS.

Anyway, thanks again for this addition to the growing library of setup tools.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by g.stew View Post
    I tried it out last night and it was very useful. I was able to get my exact Shift RPM, Speed @ Shift in 1st, and Min/Max Race Speed from my saved telemetry data in vrHive, so it was easy to get started.

The only problem I ran into was with Excel 2013. The Max Speed(L4) and the lines on the graph for Powerband Start RPM, Max Power RPM and Redline RPM don't work. As soon as I change anything in D1-D9 they disappear. The Max Speed formula (the part I can see) is using MAXIFS, which is only available in Excel 2016. I'm not sure if it's the same problem with the graph lines, or if they depend on the value of L4.

It still works great without those, but I'm not sure if there is an alternative way to calculate those without MAXIFS.

Anyway, thanks again for this addition to the growing library of setup tools.
    Thanks for letting me know! I'm uploading V0.2 soon. I've removed the MAXIFS (not sure why they were there in the first place ). As for the other problem, I have the new excel, so I'm not really sure why it wouldn't work. Maybe someone else has some insight. Hopefully the new version will fix your issue!
    The following user likes this Post: SpinnPaget

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    The problems I had with excel 2013 are fixed now. All of the fields and graph lines are working correctly.

The new wheel size calculation part is great too.
    The following user likes this Post: klw7890

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by g.stew View Post
    The problems I had with excel 2013 are fixed now. All of the fields and graph lines are working correctly.

The new wheel size calculation part is great too.
    That's awesome, I'm glad to hear it! Enjoy and spread the word

Platform
    PC
    Awesome! I look forward to trying this out