Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GT3 Braking: Real Life vs Sim

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

GT3 Braking: Real Life vs Sim

So I am watching these GT3 race videos with telemetry shown and I notice that drivers hardly do any brake modulation at all?

It basically looks like what I'm doing with ABS on, just stomping on it until safe speed reached for the corner. I'm playing with controller so I'm not the most sim hardcore driver out there but these are real life videos and I expected them to be more cautious on the brakes.

How come they don't lock up the tires? Is it because GT3 have ABS too or am I missing something there? Brake pressure perfectly adjusted maybe?

Is it possible to avoid lock ups with brake pressure setting done properly or is it still matter of "feeling it" on the track?
    Last edited by Neb911; 11-03-2018 at 04:44.

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb911 View Post
    Is it possible to avoid lock ups with brake pressure setting done properly?
    Yes.
    If you reduce the brake pressure enough, the brake force is reduced and will not overcome tire grip, therefore no lock up.

I'm sure if the real cars still really stand non their brakes they'll lock up.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Yes.
    If you reduce the brake pressure enough, the brake force is reduced and will not overcome tire grip, therefore no lock up.

I'm sure if the real cars still really stand non their brakes they'll lock up.
    I literally saw Ferrari having full red bar on the brake telemetry until last 20m where he backs up to 80-90% and that's it. Just thought there would be more up and down in the brake bar...but nothing.

Platform
    PC
    I thought the real cars used ABS? It's only simracers that insist on running without as they are all hardcore. Could well be wrong though.
    i7-7700K/GigaByte RTX 2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 4 users likes this Post: cluck, davekojo, ironik, r18etron

Platform
    PC
    All series featuring GT3 cars coming to my mind right now have ABS and TC allowed, which means everybody uses them.

The common assumption that driving without aids is faster is not true btw, so drive with whatever is allowed
    The following 2 users likes this Post: davekojo, John Hargreaves

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    I thought the real cars used ABS? It's only simracers that insist on running without as they are all hardcore. Could well be wrong though.
    I guess this is peer pressure of feeling not being hardcore by simracers standards

Anyways I thought real drivers not use it that much, but it does makes sense, why not make it easier...more time to concentrate on racing.

Platform
    PS4
    I literally saw Ferrari having full red bar on the brake telemetry until last 20m where he backs up to 80-90% and that's it. Just thought there would be more up and down in the brake bar...but nothing.
    Maybe that's all the necessary threshold braking.
    They have lots of grip.
    It's not in their best interest to constantly rely on abs, because tire wear.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

Platform
    PC
    I guess this is peer pressure of feeling not being hardcore by simracers standards

Anyways I thought real drivers not use it that much, but it does makes sense, why not make it easier...more time to concentrate on racing.
    I guess a pro team/driver is only concerned with whichever is faster. It's hard to imagine a race team adding ABS systems if the car is faster without it.
    i7-7700K/GigaByte RTX 2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I guess a pro team/driver is only concerned with whichever is faster. It's hard to imagine a race team adding ABS systems if the car is faster without it.
    Yeah, they don't need to prove they have the balls to race...ABS or not they do it for real, not in their PJ's in comfort of a "pro" home racing setup.

Platform
    PS4
    Rules mandate it.
    Threshold braking is still better than abs.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10