Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a buttonbox - input wanted

Platform
    XBOX1 X

Making a buttonbox - input wanted

Hello people,
    I'm gonna try to build a buttonbox, and would like some help with the layout or otherwise. Better to get feedback now, than when it's too late to change things

This will be the front plate of a slanted box, maybe 45 degrees?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buttonbox.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	251856

These will be rotary encoders:
    Brake = brake bias
    FRB = Front AntiRollBar
    RARB = Rear AntiRollBar
    VOL = FFB volume
    TONE = FFB tone

These will be square buttons:
    PIT = Pit request
    MOT = cycle MOTEC
    NAM = cycle names in multiplayer
    CAM = change camera view
    PLM = Pit limiter
    HDL = Headlights
    WIP = Wipers

HDL, WIP and PLM might be pull switches, not sure yet. The box might be too light for that.

Top row is 5mm LED. The FLG (flag) LED at least will be RGB LED, to be able to change color.

Thoughts? Anything missing?

Platform
    PC
    Looks nice but KERS and DRS should be activated by buttons on the wheel/controller IMO.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    Second Rig: CPU Q6600@2,80GHz | GPU Nvidia GTX 460 1GB | RAM 4GB DDR2 800Mhz | MB ASUS P5Q SE2 | HDD WD SATA 320GB | O.S. Win 7 64bit
    STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following 3 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, Maskmagog, RookieRaceline

Platform
    PC
    Nice project, BUT will this work with the XBone? I assume you want to use something like an Arduino Leonardo board?! Is that compatible with consoles? How do you want to read the data from the game and feed it into the controller to activate your LEDs? The pit LEDs can be triggered by the buttons, but anything else needs to be read from the telemetry.

I really do not want to discourage you, I am just curious, if you figured a way out to actually realize this!
    Rig: Intel Core i5 4670K - Gigabyte GTX1060 G1 Gaming 6G - Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 - 16GB A-Data 2133 - Fanatec CSL Elite Base - Fanatec CSL P1 Wheel - Fanatac CLS Elite Pedals LC - Windows 10

Member of Revolution Sim Racing
    The following user likes this Post: Maskmagog

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Good point about KERS and DRS, I’ll probably move them to wheel buttons.

About led: I’m using vrHive on a Windows 10 laptop for telemetry, and it can output an easier data stream that will be read by an arduino. It *should* work (I think) Long term goal is to get arduino or Raspberry pi to read UDP directly, and make it standalone, if possible.
    For the buttons, my plan is to slaughter an old keyboard and rewire that.
    With my normal speed, all of it might be done by 2020...

Platform
    PC
    Very Interesting! So I see a solution with two microcontrollers here. One for sending your inputs to the console, one for receiving telemetry and triggering your displays/LEDs. Is there actually a solution for sending data from the laptop to the microcontroller?
    Rig: Intel Core i5 4670K - Gigabyte GTX1060 G1 Gaming 6G - Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 - 16GB A-Data 2133 - Fanatec CSL Elite Base - Fanatec CSL P1 Wheel - Fanatac CLS Elite Pedals LC - Windows 10

Member of Revolution Sim Racing

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    vrHive has a built-in function that sends serial data (telemetry) through com-ports, to for example an arduino. A PCars user, Gary Swallow, made an application called arDASHuino that reads this stream, and sends different data (rpm, gear, lap times etc) to lcd screens. My plan is to adapt arDASHuino, to display lap times on seven-segment displays, and control leds. Will it work? Well it should work. Can I make it work? Unclear
    The following user likes this Post: Shepard2603

WMD Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maskmagog View Post
    Good point about KERS and DRS, I’ll probably move them to wheel buttons.

About led: I’m using vrHive on a Windows 10 laptop for telemetry, and it can output an easier data stream that will be read by an arduino. It *should* work (I think) Long term goal is to get arduino or Raspberry pi to read UDP directly, and make it standalone, if possible.
    For the buttons, my plan is to slaughter an old keyboard and rewire that.
    With my normal speed, all of it might be done by 2020...
    I think it's the quickest and the easier way to butcher a keyboard to do this, especially for a console.

One word of (Potential) warning, I'm not 100% but I seem to remember reading on other threads like this that there could be an issue with rotary encoders and consoles. I would check other threads on the same subject to be doubly sure before you invest. Technically there shouldn't be a problem as it's only a mapping but I'm sure I've read something along these lines. Hopefully there won't be and your project will go smoothly

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    If I get issues with the rotary encoders, it’s possible to use an arduino for that. Trial and error awaits.

Platform
    PC
    i used these for my button box. its encoded as a USB joystick so not sure if it will work for your application.

it also seems to be iffy with rotaries. waiting for my new rotaries to come in so i can test.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

not sure how/if it will work with LEDs tho.

my BBox doesn't have as many buttons, but i use it for: Headlights, Wipers, Pit Stop request, Mute/Unmute Discord voice, Ignition, TC and ABS, Hud Cycle and MoTeC cycle.
    On my wheel I have KERS, DRS, Pit Limiter, Engine Start, Brake Bias, ICM controls.
    ***ALL MY TIRE RELATED DISCUSSION ARE REFERRING TO MODERN GT/LMP TIRES***
    PC Rig: intel i7-6700k @ 1.21 gigawatts of electricity | Gigabyte Z170X G1 Gaming | EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Gaming | Fanatec CSL Elite Base | CSL Elite Load-Cell Pedals | McLaren GT3 Rim
    Other endeavours: lacrosse, hockey, snowboarding, DCS F/A-18C

Platform
    PC
    You need a network extension on the Arduino and then can decode the UDP stream to get the LEDs lit.
    I tried it long time ago for PC1 on PC and it was no problem.
    On the other side, i don't know if an Arduino button box is recognised by the XBX.
    System Shuttle SX79 | CPU i7 4930k @ 3.4 GHz | RAM 16GB 1600MHz | GPU GTX1080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1709 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1
    Devil's Core Project Cars Team ( german language )
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/devilscorede/
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/
    STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/devils-core/