Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Making a buttonbox - input wanted

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Looks like you are using buttons for ABS and Traction Control, I'd consider changing these to rotary switches, especially if you play other sims which allow a greater range of setting for these functions (maybe swap out the ARB as few cars actually allow these to be adjusted on the fly anyway)

I have rotary switches assigned for seat up/down and back/fwd which makes it very quick and easy to get each car viewing just right, probably my most used function on my button box!

Interesting project though, looking forward to seeing the finished job.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Maskmagog View Post
    Belaki, you make good points. But one of the reasons Iím doing this (probably the biggest) is that I want to learn more about arduinos, switches, leds, shift registers etc. I just love that mixture of analog and digital! Itís a hobby for me, and I plan to use the knowledge in other, non-pcars2 projects

Edit: Nice setup!
    Hey Maskmagog, do you know that project?
    Its also done with Arduino, and this guy uses an original BMW E36 cockpit instead of a digital dash

https://www.sim-pc.de/bmw-e36-mit-rc...pit-connector/

Every car could be a race car, as long as you have the balls to drive it like that !

System Shuttle SX79 | CPU i7 4930k @ 3.4 GHz | RAM 16GB 1600MHz | GPU GTX1080ti 11GB | OS Win 10 pro x64 V1709 | Screen Samsung KU6179 4k 49"
    Base Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer | Rim 458TX, GTE, T500RS Rim, TS-PC | Pedals Fanatec CSPv3 | Gearshifter TM T8HA | Button Box BBJ SimRacing 30F pro series
    HMD Oculus CV1
    Devil's Core Project Cars Team ( german language )
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/devilscorede/
    Closed Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/941216635916992/
    STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/devils-core/

Platform
    PC
    Very impresive, but honestly, i don't undestand how you guys can make all this work, but as far as i have figured out, the xbox can't even regognize a premade usb input device made by Logitech:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eee.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	252006

this more or less has all i need, (even the joystick for ICM navigation and also can be twisted to look left & right)...
    But nobody will tell me if it works. Only two people have told me that it doesn't!
    RookieRaceline | AllVirtualRacing
    Xbox Gamertag: Firben

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    but as far as i have figured out, the xbox can't even regognize a premade usb input device made by Logitech:
    The trick is all USB devices use a PID, in short it is a indentifier who tells what it is.

Sony and MS decide wether to support it, or not.
    In the early PS4 days the older firmware supported an logitech wireless headset. Later support of that product was gone.

Back to the question. MS and Sony do support keyboards.
    To what a buttonbox or a even a fancy dashboard does, is emulate a plain simple keyboard. It just registers plain keypresses.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Killg0re NL View Post
    The trick is all USB devices use a PID, in short it is a indentifier who tells what it is.

Sony and MS decide wether to support it, or not.
    In the early PS4 days the older firmware supported an logitech wireless headset. Later support of that product was gone.

Back to the question. MS and Sony do support keyboards.
    To what a buttonbox or a even a fancy dashboard does, is emulate a plain simple keyboard. It just registers plain keypresses.
    Shouldn't it recognize that logitech sidepanel too then?
    RookieRaceline | AllVirtualRacing
    Xbox Gamertag: Firben

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by satco1066 View Post
    Hey Maskmagog, do you know that project?
    Its also done with Arduino, and this guy uses an original BMW E36 cockpit instead of a digital dash
    Wow, that’s awesome! Would be great to use some real gauges, but I think I should do one step at the time
    Thrustmaster TX, Italia 458 wheel, 2 pedals, Firmware 54, Xbox One X since Aug -18, 24" 1080 monitor
    Don't miss Yorkie065's excellent videos: Ep26-LiveTrack pt1. Ep 27-LiveTrack pt2.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    No unfortunatly not. The logitech sidepanel isnt a keyboard.
    A keyboard uses default keyboard drivers. For the use of his panel, you'll need to install drivers on a PC.

They could, but then the joystick wouldnt work.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    So, I made some progress. Was a bit worried that the rotary encoders would cause problems. My head started spinning after trying to read about interrupt pins, shift registers and what not. After some intense googling, I found a brilliant arduino sketch, very easy to use. It allows for 5 rotary encoders and 16 buttons, or 4 rotary encoders and 25 buttons (on a Pro Micro). Buttons are wired in a matrix, and rotaries with three pins: common ground + 2 pins.

This is the original sketch, that I later modified slightly: buttsimp.ino
    Don't ask me about how the script works, I'm barely skilled to adapt it to my needs

My changes were:
    Changed to 5 rotary encoders, and 16 buttons in the #define area. Also changed the "letter matrix" to suit, and added a line to rotariesdef.

I also changed row 73: It didn't seem to like the pin naming, so I changed 21, 20, 19, 18 to A3, A2, A1, A0.

Since I only use 16 buttons, I modified row 73 and 74 to reflect this.

I commented out row 100 & 101, because I want a single key press.

Lastly, I changed row 137, from Keyboard.write to Keyboard.press, and added two lines: delay(150) and Keyboard.releaseAll(). With Keyboard.write, it worked fine on my Win 10 laptop, but on the Xbox, it was hit and miss with the rotaries. Since buttons use Keyboard.press in the script, and those worked on xbox, I tried that, and it worked great on xbox too.

So the technical issues seems ok, regarding buttons and rotaries. Next step is the leds.
    Also, my 7-segment displays came today from China I'm planning to use a Nano to control these, and show different lap times etc. More googling to come.
    Thrustmaster TX, Italia 458 wheel, 2 pedals, Firmware 54, Xbox One X since Aug -18, 24" 1080 monitor
    Don't miss Yorkie065's excellent videos: Ep26-LiveTrack pt1. Ep 27-LiveTrack pt2.
    The following user likes this Post: satco1066

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    After waiting 3 months for parts from China, I could finally progress. China to Sweden took 1 month. Swedish mail took 2 months.
    I ordered a laser cut acrylic top for my box from Danish company cotter.dk. Recommended if you live in these parts of Europe. Took about 1 week from order to delivery.

It's been a while since I used the soldering iron. Progress was slow, 1 step forward, 1 back. Had to redo a few solderings. Then I over used the hot glue and got some glue inside the buttons. Argh. But finally, everything works! 😄
    Next phase is an Arduino Nano to read UDP and control leds and fuel meter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180608_183309.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	255993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180608_183232.jpg 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	255994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180609_090854.jpg 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	255995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180609_122554.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	255996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180611_174930.jpg 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	255997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180611_202827.jpg 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	255998
    The following 4 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, Asturbo, Shepard2603, Y22 Rydr

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    If anybody have any questions, or want to have my Frankenstein code, just ask. I've pieced other people's code together to suit my needs, and it's easy to tweak the code. It's very doable, if you have some time and patience. When I started this, I had dabbled with Raspberry Pi for a while, but this is my first real Arduino project.

Next part is a littlie trickier, I think. I have Gary Swallows ArDASHuino code working, which connects to vrHive and outputs to 16x2 LCD screens. My first plan was to adapt that to output to seven-segment displays instead, which would work. But I'm gonna try to get the Arduino Nano to read the UDP stream directly. Google, here I come.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: SpinnPaget, Y22 Rydr