Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experience with Vive Pro

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Experience with Vive Pro

Hi all,

I tried Cars 2 the last two days with the Vive Pro and I got quite heavy stuttering in the cockpit view, it is nearly undrivable.
    With my Oculus Rift it still works perfecty. I do know that the Vive Pro probably needs more hardware but I got an 1080ti recently so I donīt think that can be the issue here. Of note is that I use only one basis station for the Vive at the moment since I donīt need roomscale VR but could
    that be a possible reason?
    Or does Cars 2 need to be patched somehow for the new Vive?
    Last edited by Blueflight; 08-04-2018 at 11:17.

Platform
    PC
    Vive Pro demands computing power comparable to Vive with 1.3-1.5 SS.
    So when you are trying Vive Pro, make sure, SteamVR doesn't automatically set Supersampling (it does!).
    Then make sure you have enabled Async reprojection together with Always Allow Reprojection.
    If you don't like async repro, you can select Interleaved Reprojection instead - they you will end up with constant 45fps in case the HW cannot maintain 90fps.
    MSI Z270 Tomahawk | i5 7600K@4.9GHz | 16GB RAM | Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH | MSI GTX1080Ti + Accelero Xtreme IV | HTC Vive | TX+custom wheel+t3pa Pro | custom cockpit

WMD Member
    resolution ratio :2880*1600,ss 1.5 about 2880*1600 *1.5. Far greater than 2160*1200.
    oculus AWS is a very good technology, better than steamvr

Give priority to 90fps, and then gradually increase the effect
    OS : Win 10 | CPU :I7 7700K| Memory : 16GB DDR4(8*2)| Graphics Card: GTX1080ti| Xbox 360 Controller|ClubSport Wheel v2.5
    The following user likes this Post: beetes_juice

I too have a Vive Pro and I too am struggling to get anywhere near the performance I used to get with the original Vive in PC2. However, since I last ran PC2 there have been steam VR patches, PC2 patches and probably a crappy Win10 update. Even with SS 1.0, I get stutter with clear sky, day time whereas I could run 1.5 ss and run at night with no stutter on the old Vive. Almost doesn't matter what SS I use or what settings I change, I just get the odd stutter a few times around the track whereas previously I could get a solid smooth race even at night with shadows medium.

But... The Hud is crystal clear! I think the Vive Pro is one hell of a visual upgrade personally. Skyrim VR looks miles better to me in the Pro versus the original Vive.

PC2 is the only title I've yet to successfully tune in. May try a video driver update (this tends to break more games than it fixes so its usually my last resort).
    Last edited by BazzaLB; 08-04-2018 at 15:06.
    CPU>i7 7700K@4.8 water cooled. O/S>Win10 64bit 8gb. GPU>Aorus GTX 1080ti Xtreme. Display>VR HTC Vive. Wheel>Fanatec CSW F1 Rim, CSP v2 Pedals. Chassis>HumanRacing GT Chassis.
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hello,

Have you solved the problem ?

i am interested in buying one. Now I have got an oculus and i am looking for more resolution.

Thanks

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by juanlopes View Post
    Hello,

i am interested in buying one. Now I have got an oculus and i am looking for more resolution.

Thanks
    Interestingly I was trying to set up tonite an started messing with the in game settings, I noticed having shadow on ultra or min, or any of the other settings did not improve things, of for that matter make them worse.
    I tried Steam VR SS (now a % 200%) lost a fair number of frames, picture amazing, and 100% produced a very similar number of frames dropped but a slightly inferior picture. I noticed if I moved my head, the frames dropped a lot faster, so I am not 100% sure on how to get the best ban for the buck on the pro, but at 100%SS I drop frames regularly, when in Vive Std at 200% SS I dropped no frames at all..

Maybe some tweaking required here to get things to work correctly

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by juanlopes View Post
    Hello,

Thanks
    Honestly I returned the Vive Pro since I could not get no satisfying solution with the stuttering in Cars 2. Also the headphones were really bad compared to the Rift which HTC at least seem to know about.
    Will probably try in some months again when the hardware is more stable and probably Cars 2 is a bit optimized for Vive 2 (if).

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueflight View Post
    Will probably try in some months again when (...) Cars 2 is a bit optimized for Vive 2 (if).
    I wouldn't bet on this. It would require quite significant interfere with gfx engine. I'm sure it is optimized to limits and any significant gain can be achieved only by implementing both NV's VRworks and AMD's LiquidVR. I'm sure it's beyond ROI.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizute View Post
    I tried Steam VR SS (now a % 200%) lost a fair number of frames, picture amazing, and 100% produced a very similar number of frames dropped but a slightly inferior picture. I noticed if I moved my head, the frames dropped a lot faster, so I am not 100% sure on how to get the best ban for the buck on the pro, but at 100%SS I drop frames regularly, when in Vive Std at 200% SS I dropped no frames at all..
    Do you mean, that you get fps drop with 100% SS (which should be considered SS disabled)?
    With Vive Standard 200% gives significant fps drop for me. In fact it means rendering two times more pixels.
    Or maybe you meant frame drops instead fps drop...
    Last edited by MaXyM; 13-04-2018 at 10:09.
    MSI Z270 Tomahawk | i5 7600K@4.9GHz | 16GB RAM | Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH | MSI GTX1080Ti + Accelero Xtreme IV | HTC Vive | TX+custom wheel+t3pa Pro | custom cockpit

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
    I wouldn't bet on this. It would require quite significant interfere with gfx engine. I'm sure it is optimized to limits and any significant gain can be achieved only by implementing both NV's VRworks and AMD's LiquidVR. I'm sure it's beyond ROI.

Do you mean, that you get fps drop with 100% SS (which should be considered SS disabled)?
    With Vive Standard 200% gives significant fps drop for me. In fact it means rendering two times more pixels.
    Or maybe you meant frame drops instead fps drop...
    Yeah frame drops, I am going to turn off the SS auto feature this evening and try manual settings, hopefully the AI throttling is doing some damage somewhere.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hello,

I do have the same problem with the Vive Pro and PC2, it's nearly frustrating how bad the game performs with the Vive Pro.
    I'm always struggling with stuttering pictures. It's only playable when I turn down the SS to 58%.

My Hardware: I-7 6850K 32GB Ram all SSD, Aourus 1080Ti

Are there any solution's for this problem right now?

Kind regards
    Eliottk