Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Experience with Vive Pro

Platform
    PC
    How do you find the Vive Pro in other comparable sims? The guys on the DCS World forums who have a pro are saying similar things, that the image quality is great, but the framerate is poor, even when reducing SS. It seems that the older engine games like iRacing, Live for Speed etc are fine, but a more modern graphics engine struggles a bit. I wonder if this is something that is more on the Syeam software side rather than individual games.
    i7-7700K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I also have Assetto Corso and I can play it without any issues or framedrops. The quality of the picture is truly an big improvement. I didn't notice it that much until I switched back to the old Vive or the Oculus Rift.
    I also think that it might be a problem of PC2 and its engine which causes the bad VR performance with the Vive Pro because every other game runs smoothly.

Platform
    PC
    So it may just be that you need really high fps in the first place, so AC or Live For Speed can run at 300fps in 2D as there is just a lot less going on, but you'd be lucky to top 100fps in PC2. DCS World is a similar case, you might get 80fps in 2D if you are lucky so it tanks in VR. Have you ever tried AeroFly FS2 flight sim? It works very well in VR (400fps in 2D helps) and the guys on their forum with a pro are pretty happy with the results. Not driving mind, but an essential VR title imo.
    i7-7700K/Zotac GTX 1070 AMP/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Same here, getting dropped frames with i7-6700 at 4.4ghz-aorus gtx1080ti extreme at 2ghz, 32 DDR4 at 3.200 and SSD, used to run smoothly with 90fps locked and nice visuals, now at 100% (both in Steam VR and in game) it drops frames and it negates the advantage of having upgraded to a better resolution headset... very frustrating!.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mattforum View Post
    Same here, getting dropped frames with i7-6700 at 4.4ghz-aorus gtx1080ti extreme at 2ghz, 32 DDR4 at 3.200 and SSD, used to run smoothly with 90fps locked and nice visuals, now at 100% (both in Steam VR and in game) it drops frames and it negates the advantage of having upgraded to a better resolution headset... very frustrating!.
    I too returned mine. at 100% too many dropped frames, can run the std Vive at 200% and have no dropped frames and basically the same visuals. Have to wait for the new Nvidias to benefit I am afraid.. for PCars2 that is, other programs ran fine at 100-120%

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I do not have a Vive Pro but I do have an Odyssey which is, I believe, the same resolution as the Vive Pro. Of course, implementation is different. But I hope if you look at some of the discussions people are having about Windows Mix Reality will help you with the settings.

Last night I ran a multiclass AI at Laguna Seca with 25 AI. The classes were GTE, LMP1, and RDE (yes, I know, but it is fun and provides for some interesting racing - which is where the setting come in). I ran the race a 60x speed and it was a 15 lap race with pitstop mandatory. So the race had daytime and nighttime starting at 13:00.

The only time I dropped to 45 FPS was in the pit stops since it was night time and there was more than one car and I have the pit animation set for all players. At some point during the night, there were about 10 cars on track from all 3 classes. The framerate stayed at 90.

My settings are.
    In SteamVR:
    Video Setting at 100% (Manual)
    Application settings for PCars 2 at 130%

In game:
    Post-Processing Filters: On
    Exterior Sun Flare: None
    Exterior Sun Flare: None
    Bloom: Off
    Heat Haxe: Off
    Exposure Compensation: 1
    Rain Drops: Yes
    Vignette: No
    Crepuscular Rays: No
    Screen Dirt: No
    Cockpit Mirrors: On

Resolution: Set to Monitor Resolution
    Windowed: Yes
    Texture Resolution: High
    Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 8X
    V-Sync: Yes (Notice this. Most conventional methods says to set this to No. But per someone else's suggestion I tried it as Yes and it made a difference)
    MSAA: Medium
    Reflections: Low
    Environment Map: Low
    Car Detail: High
    Track Detail: Low
    Pir Crew Detail: All
    Shadow: Low
    Enhanced Mirrors: No
    Motion Blur: Off
    Render Frames Ahead: 2
    Detail Grass: Low
    Particles (Level & Density): Both on High

Launch Parameters:
    -windowed -borderless -skipcrowds

My CPU is OC'ed. The 1080Ti is not.

I make sure that only the essential things are running. I make sure that I don't even have a browser open. especially Chrome and it is memory requirements.
    Here are the steps I follow to start the game. Some of these do not apply to you since they are WMR specific.

1) Log in to computer
    2) Turn wheel on
    3) Put Headset on
    4) Once the WMR application starts, close it. When WMR opens after you put your headset on, it starts the Cliff House. The Cliff House takes memory from your video card. So shutting it down and going to step 5 will not load the Cliff House.
    5) Start Steam VR from a shortcut or the Steam software itself. This will load the WMR application without the Cliff House.
    6) Start CrewChief
    7) Start VoiceAttack
    8) Tell VoiceAttack to start PCars2. Set to start with the parameters mentioned above.
    9) Once PCars shows the splash screen with all the logos, I click the re-center button. I do not have any automatic re-centering set.

I had a GTX 1070 and that one could only hit 90FPS in perfect weather conditions with few cars near me. But I did manage to log more than 200 hours in PCars 2 with it.

With rain added, the FPS will suffer. I have to do a bit more experimentation. I think I had the SS at 150% when I tried it first. However, luckily, Microsoft added a new reprojection scheme about a month ago which makes 45FPS look incredibly smooth for the most part.
    Last edited by coloracer; 22-05-2018 at 13:48. Reason: Added a bit more info.
    I7 7700K@5.0GHz | ASUS Z170 | 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 (as of May 18th, 2018) | 500GB SSD | 2TB HDD | Fanatec CSW 2.5 - BMW GT2 & Formula Black Wheels | TH8A Shifter | Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals | Samsung Odyssey HMD
    VoiceAttack Profile: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ntrol)-Profile
    The following 6 users likes this Post: cluck, Flens07, John Hargreaves, Mad Al, Reiche, Sankyo

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    The strange thing with the performance problem is that for some reason sometimes it works perfect without any frame drops, but this only happened 2 times since I got my Vive Pro. So I will say it's 98% not working and 2% it's working fine also with the settings to 100% but I really don't know why and if I restart the PC it's not working for sure.
    But I can't identify the reason why it's working in this 2% and all the other time it's not OK.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by eliottk View Post
    The strange thing with the performance problem is that for some reason sometimes it works perfect without any frame drops, but this only happened 2 times since I got my Vive Pro. So I will say it's 98% not working and 2% it's working fine also with the settings to 100% but I really don't know why and if I restart the PC it's not working for sure.
    But I can't identify the reason why it's working in this 2% and all the other time it's not OK.
    I'm not sure what the performance differences are between your CPU (I-7 6850K) and mine. But I do know that PCars 2 requires a lot of CPU power. I originally had an i5 something or other and that was pretty bad. Someone who knows more about CPUs bottlenecking the GPU might be able to shed some light on this.

BTW, some people say not to OC your GPU or CPU. I have personally not found any difference between OC and not OC of either. But since my 1080Ti is giving me what I need now, I'm not going to OC it. I did have the 1070 OC'ed.
    I7 7700K@5.0GHz | ASUS Z170 | 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 (as of May 18th, 2018) | 500GB SSD | 2TB HDD | Fanatec CSW 2.5 - BMW GT2 & Formula Black Wheels | TH8A Shifter | Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals | Samsung Odyssey HMD

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by coloracer View Post
    I'm not sure what the performance differences are between your CPU (I-7 6850K) and mine. But I do know that PCars 2 requires a lot of CPU power. I originally had an i5 something or other and that was pretty bad. Someone who knows more about CPUs bottlenecking the GPU might be able to shed some light on this.

BTW, some people say not to OC your GPU or CPU. I have personally not found any difference between OC and not OC of either. But since my 1080Ti is giving me what I need now, I'm not going to OC it. I did have the 1070 OC'ed.
    Did you notice a nice improvement going from the i5 to your i7 7700K? I think PC2 definitely benefits from a hefty cpu, but overclocking can certainly cause it problems occasionally.

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    Did you notice a nice improvement going from the i5 to your i7 7700K? I think PC2 definitely benefits from a hefty cpu, but overclocking can certainly cause it problems occasionally.
    Yes, I did. I mean a huge difference. If I were using just one car (TT) then it was "fine", but once cars were added that's where the difference really was. If I remember correctly, and I might not, I had an i5-6500 (not the K) one at 3.2GHz. So I took an even bigger step than you would if you went up.

As far as OC. I just don't know enough about how the game is coded, of course, to know why OC'ing would affect it. I doubt the developers are looking at the CPU itself and say, this is a 7700K and it should be working at this speed, but it is working at this speed, therefore, we're going to mess with it. So I think the OC problem might come more from the fact that the OC is causing problems not just for PCars 2 but for your entire system. Of course, overheating being one of the biggest issues and power draw being another problem. My CPU, even at 5.0GHz doesn't get hot. And the EVGA 80+ GOLD 650W works pretty well.

Once every two weeks or so, I open my case up and clean it. I clean all the vents and all the filters.

And of course, there was a big difference between the 1070 and the 1080Ti.
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves