Page 26 of 68 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Unofficial issue list [Post Patch 6.0]

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Bell View Post
    Now moving on to the Forced Tuning setups being different per user, or large handling differences between sessions.

We’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to reproduce these issues, but to no avail. That doesn’t mean we’re giving up on it, though. It’s clear from what you guys have reported, and what we have seen reported, that this issue is one that needs looking at, and once we are able to repro’ it, you can be sure we will work on it immediately. We have also had reports of assists changing between sessions which may be the likely cause of the large handling differences, and this has, I can confirm, been both repro’d and fixed with update 6.
    That's very good news, I also believe that many of those issues are down to assists being suddenly disabled in the start of some races, many people do not have the speedo visible while they are driving, so they do not notice this assists issue. If that's fixed, then it will be a very big improvement.

But about the handling thing, it must be also due to the different behavior in different machines. For example in my case using -pthreads 4 greatly enhanced the behavior of hard GT3 slicks, for others its fine as it is and for others this workaround does not seem to improve matters. I suspect that has to do with different sessions, too, I mean that depending on the track etc conditions this problem (or not) may becoming more apparent in some machines compared to others, causing this difference of feel for many people. That issue with the hard GT3 tires feeling almost undriveable to some people is not included in this unofficial bug list, but I hope it has been still looked into anyway.

About the setups being different for each person in fixed setup races, I think that's a different issue. Mostly it has to do with fuel loads, some people are given say 20 litres of fuel for quali/race and others a full tank of 100 litres. The problem seems to have to do with trying to manually select one of the 2 default setups, or even just opening up the tuning selection screen (where editing is disabled, for fixed setups), but it sometimes happen even without that.

As everybody else said, thank you for your information!
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Asturbo, blinkngone

Vehicle Technical Lead Casey Ringley's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Following on from Nathan... regarding the clutch not working: The discussion is really about the gearbox and not the clutch. The clutch is a simple coupling that connects the engine crankshaft to gearbox input shaft. When it is used to disconnect those two shafts, it allows the gearbox synchronizers to work on the input shaft and engage the next selected gear. While our driveline model has signals to indicate 'The synchronizers are still doing their thing' or 'Hey, you are grinding the gears like a madman', we also have to consider devices ranging from gamepads with no/automatic clutch (and auto shifting itself), through basic steering wheels with fast shifting paddles and no clutch, to higher-end rigs with all the right hardware.

The choice we made was to have the gearbox act with a strong synchronizing effect such that, even with poor clutch use causing a missed gearshift, the time penalty afterwards before forcing into the selected gear is not huge. The aim for this was to not give a significant advantage either way. The time we use before forcing the next gear in H-pattern boxes is 0.5s, so completely disregarding the clutch or shifting carelessly and missing every shift will mean at least 0.5s with no power to the wheels. Smart, fast use of the clutch (or a brief throttle lift in racing gearboxes) should be quick enough to match that, and those who want to shift authentically, like me, can do that, with what we have now.
    Haste Is Slow

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Ringley View Post
    Following on from Nathan... regarding the clutch not working: The discussion is really about the gearbox and not the clutch. The clutch is a simple coupling that connects the engine crankshaft to gearbox input shaft. When it is used to disconnect those two shafts, it allows the gearbox synchronizers to work on the input shaft and engage the next selected gear. While our driveline model has signals to indicate 'The synchronizers are still doing their thing' or 'Hey, you are grinding the gears like a madman', we also have to consider devices ranging from gamepads with no/automatic clutch (and auto shifting itself), through basic steering wheels with fast shifting paddles and no clutch, to higher-end rigs with all the right hardware.

The choice we made was to have the gearbox act with a strong synchronizing effect such that, even with poor clutch use causing a missed gearshift, the time penalty afterwards before forcing into the selected gear is not huge. The aim for this was to not give a significant advantage either way. The time we use before forcing the next gear in H-pattern boxes is 0.5s, so completely disregarding the clutch or shifting carelessly and missing every shift will mean at least 0.5s with no power to the wheels. Smart, fast use of the clutch (or a brief throttle lift in racing gearboxes) should be quick enough to match that, and those who want to shift authentically, like me, can do that, with what we have now.
    No matter if people like your decision or not (I am so and so), I think it's very much appreciated that you guys are giving us a very clear and honest explanation for your thinking behind this decision. Thanks!
    The following 2 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, Tar Heel

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the answer.
    Since the game has all needed "signals", you can consider adding a configuration option, allowing to switch between current behavior and more 'hard-core' one.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Bell View Post
    We’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to reproduce these issues, but to no avail. That doesn’t mean we’re giving up on it, though. It’s clear from what you guys have reported, and what we have seen reported, that this issue is one that needs looking at, and once we are able to repro’ it, you can be sure we will work on it immediately. We have also had reports of assists changing between sessions which may be the likely cause of the large handling differences, and this has, I can confirm, been both repro’d and fixed with update 6.
    Thanks for the support, work, and information.
    Regarding the above, I can only comment that this occurence really is difficult to reproduce, as it seems quite random. I certainly have experienced it myself, and it's unmistakable. Like night and day.
    Personally, I do not believe it is the same thing as the assists turning off, at least not what I have experienced. It's much more dramatic. Perhaps somehow connected, but the overall result on the car behaviour is much more than just that.
    I will admit that I haven't had it happen for quite some time now. It is really difficult to figure out what triggers it. The common element that I have seen is when there are a full grid, with what seems to be high demands on the overall processing (night, lights, perhaps a lot of cars in view, maybe a track with a lot of scenery or complicated rendering, etc, etc.) That said, I've had it happen in other conditions that seem less demanding (but I don't have the programmer knowledge to know for sure what is going on behind the scenes). It seems to happen mostly when on-line racing.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
    Thanks for the answer.
    Since the game has all needed "signals", you can consider adding a configuration option, allowing to switch between current behavior and more 'hard-core' one.
    I couldn't agree more and since their game trailers keep selling us the whole "true-to-life handling" aspect, I would think they would want to hold up their end of the bargain...
    PRIME Z270A | i5-7600K @ 4.7GHz | 16GB @ 3200MHz | RX580 (8GB) @ 1390/2200MHz | G920 with GTEYE springs and H-shifter

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Raklodder View Post
    I couldn't agree more and since their game trailers keep selling us the whole "true-to-life handling" aspect, I would think they would want to hold up their end of the bargain...
    The obvious point being the variance and parameters of the available hardware.. you could always put your pc in the back of a pickup- that way you can get your face ripped off and flies forced down your throat by the slipstream for that 'pure' experience..

https://youtu.be/vfNAzxv7ymI
    The following user likes this Post: Raklodder

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    hardware has nothing to do with what we are talking about. they just confirmed they have all values calculated already, ready to use

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXyM View Post
    hardware has nothing to do with what we are talking about. they just confirmed they have all values calculated already, ready to use

"We also have to consider devices ranging from gamepads with no/automatic clutch (and auto shifting itself), through basic steering wheels with fast shifting paddles and no clutch, to higher-end rigs with all the right hardware."

Yup.

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    I understood your "variance and parameters of available HW" as "variability in performance of gaming systems" while Casey was talking about about accessories I believe.
    IMO computing power is not limitation. Due to variability in accessories they did a compromise. But IMO there is nothing which is stopping them from giving optional functionality of gearbox. At least not from performance point of view. I suppose it's design or business decision.
    Last edited by MaXyM; 17-05-2018 at 19:31.