Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sloppy's Fast, Stable and Fun Career Tunes (G29)

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    How about some additional comments on your setups, about what changed and most importantly why you changed it?
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    Nice. Keep em coming. I've bookmarked for checking up on tunes as needed and if available.
    One question. Are these tunes post-patch 5?

Also, if you can update the index (as Konan kindly did) with links to respective tunes as you add tunes that would be great for searching tunes as the thread will surely grow and make them harder to find without the updated index on post #1.
    Last edited by davidt33; 30-04-2018 at 22:52.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following user likes this Post: Demon340

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    How about some additional comments on your setups, about what changed and most importantly why you changed it?
    When I have cleared my backlog and have learned more I may do so. I am currently using the excellent guides already found here in the setup garage in particular the great 'XSR Setup Guide' which was originally written for GTR2.
    I am reluctant to write too much detail as I humbly admit my technical knowledge of tuning is very basic and I would hate for anyone to learn bad habits from me.
    I spend hours testing every slight tweak out on the track to see if it helps or hinders overall handling on that circuit. I am more the guy who tries every ingredient he can find in the stew until it tastes great but cant say exactly WHY it tastes great.
    I could go back and explain certain tweaks I KNOW and understand no problem. (Such as roll bars maybe!)
    Every tune is started by breaking the car/taming it completely (sacrilege!) so it drives like a sedan on the freeway, then tweaking caster/camber/tires/springs etc to FORCE it to steer into corners when I need it to. So my 'rookie tunes' differ greatly from 'pro tunes' in that you dont need to be a race driver to handle them.
    Pro tunes will go faster in the right hands too for sure. These tunes are designed not to beat records per se but to safely do 10/20 laps in a race against the AI without worrying about ever spinning off. The Caterham 300 for example I could NOT get round the track even once cleanly with stock tunes. Now I can throw it around, slamming gas and brake pedals whenever I want and throw it into corners, having a blast while doing it.
    Thanks for the question sorry I'm not more helpful but I admit my ignorance!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    Nice. Keep em coming. I've bookmarked for checking up on tunes as needed and if available.

Also, if you can update the index (as Konan kindly did) with links to respective tunes as you add tunes that would be great for searching tunes as the thread will surely grow and make them harder to find without the updated index on post #1.
    Yes these are post P5. I didn't start playing the game until about 2 weeks ago. Al tunes are from the last few days.
    I have already thanked Konan for creating the links. He kindly agreed to continue doing so which is great!

When the kart tunes come they will definitely NOT be record times. Just easy to drive maybe 5 seconds under record lap times. Same as Formula Rookie. As soon as I have finished tweaking the Tier 5/6 tunes I look forward to playing the game again and getting some faster cars in this thread. Sticking with career only though here as many people such as myself like to play through a game that way at first.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: davidt33, Konan

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppysmusic View Post
    When I have cleared my backlog and have learned more I may do so. I am currently using the excellent guides already found here in the setup garage in particular the great 'XSR Setup Guide' which was originally written for GTR2.
    I am reluctant to write too much detail as I humbly admit my technical knowledge of tuning is very basic and I would hate for anyone to learn bad habits from me.
    I spend hours testing every slight tweak out on the track to see if it helps or hinders overall handling on that circuit. I am more the guy who tries every ingredient he can find in the stew until it tastes great but cant say exactly WHY it tastes great.
    I could go back and explain certain tweaks I KNOW and understand no problem. (Such as roll bars maybe!)
    Every tune is started by breaking the car/taming it completely (sacrilege!) so it drives like a sedan on the freeway, then tweaking caster/camber/tires/springs etc to FORCE it to steer into corners when I need it to. So my 'rookie tunes' differ greatly from 'pro tunes' in that you dont need to be a race driver to handle them.
    Pro tunes will go faster in the right hands too for sure. These tunes are designed not to beat records per se but to safely do 10/20 laps in a race against the AI without worrying about ever spinning off. The Caterham 300 for example I could NOT get round the track even once cleanly with stock tunes. Now I can throw it around, slamming gas and brake pedals whenever I want and throw it into corners, having a blast while doing it.
    Thanks for the question sorry I'm not more helpful but I admit my ignorance!

No problem, no ignorance at all I think! No need to write essays about your tuning , just a few words, maybe 2-3 lines, like "car was too oversteery at corner exit, I adjusted the diff for that", "with a softer front roll bar I realized I had less understeer and went for it", that sort of things.

I think something like that is really missing, some specific tuning advice for specific cars in the specific sim, which people can use and adjust further themselves, but knowing more or less what they are doing. No prob that you are not a "pro" tuner, almost nobody is a pro tuner, any kind of advice you (and everybody else) you can give to people who don't know about tuning, will help them get started. I wish I had something like that when I started, what I really liked was some tuning series by a PS guy in PCARS1, where he was explaining in long videos each of the setup pages and was giving practical examples. But I was missing taking some cars and give a complete walkthrough, what he changed first, then why he reverted it or not etc. And no problem if it was not entirely accurate, it still gives a good workflow to people I think.

I would had liked doing that myself, but I am not good at tuning at all ! I only change the basic 5-6 stuff, which I think are enough for me already, but I would change my mind if you prove otherwise

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Just started on the Ginetta Junior but have found a minor bugette. Although the game records Junior and GT40 GT5 times separately on the leaderboard it does not seem to differentiate between them during the actual time trial. This means as I have times with the G5 on most of the Junior career tracks the split times and best times display incorrectly. Saying basically I am slow on every section and not allowing me to set a best time (although it DOES keep the time on the leaderboard..). Only the final time is correct. Anyone who has tuned will agree the splits are essential for getting a good time on all sections of the track, particularly whether say the first section is on record or a duff. So I won't do the tunes for these tracks. The only one left is Knockhill National. My nemesis .
    This track IS a challenge for any car with its 'wobbly' bends, hills and blind chicanes. I've managed to get my time to 1.55.707, within a second of the PS4 record and 2 off the PC one (although that was with external camera haha!). So as soon as I've tweaked for smoothness (relatively on this track!) I will post it here and move on to karts (which I hate but have a driveable tune for me at least).
    As not many people TT with the Junior I guess the above minor bug or omission is not very visible, just annoying for me with this project as its most peoples first step on the career ladder and I would have liked to post some stable tunes for it. At least anyone who can use the tune at Knockhill and have do stable laps should be able to do that on any track!
    Slops
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post

I'll keep doing this whenever he posts a new one...no hassle
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: davidt33, Demon340, sloppysmusic

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    If you want just splits against your own times, try something like vrhive. If you have a pc on the same network, you can record all your laps with telemetry and go through them to find places to improve. You can also use one of the dashboard views for split timing, etc. There are also other apps for phones or PC that do the same. I use vrhive and crew chief on a surface pro 4 that sits next to me. Crew chief tells me lap and sector times etc too so I don't have to look. They are both very easy to setup.

Like cpcdem said, it would be interesting to know your tuning process regardless of how much experience you have with it. I'm more interested in how you got where you got than what the end result is. I use the same setup guide you're talking about, along with a few other similar guides, spreadsheets, and applications. It's more likely at this point that I'll learn something good from someone who doesn't have a lot of experience and is trying different things that the experts wouldn't try.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Ginetta G40 Junior - Knockhill National - 0.55.103

No record here but very close. Stable and fast/reliable tune can do sub 56 second laps over and over no problem!
    For those who have asked why I do stuff i will attempt to explain!
    Oversteer and a twitchy front end especially trying to straighten after a corner will wreck you on this track. Going through the screens ...
    Raising the front tire pressure a LOT relative to rear loses some grip and helps fix the OS. It works. Please don't judge me lol!
    No point in commenting on brake balance really or pressure that's whatever feels right with your control method. G29 wheel/pedals here.
    Ride height low cos cant bottom out with default high springs. Anything other than forward rake loses stability. Camber minimum and toe fairly low cos I dont need help turning!
    With no direct spring control and no way to disable the bumps I set them high which seems to negate them somewhat. Racing cars I prefer to use only the springs and no bump stop whenever I can. Touring cars would be more interesting!
    Braking is swift and harsh from me on this track so if I'm stabbing the pedal ABS takes away the worry of lockups. Traction control is set to full for the way I tend to throw the car into corners and want a reliable grip to keep steady and avoid run offs. There's not much room to slide on this track (I would normally run TC at 15-25).
    LSD low as possible cos I cant turn it off. This car doesnt suffer from massive power surges so I like to keep what's available ready for my pedal foot if I need it. Too slow a track to worry here about tires spinning much!
    Hope that helps but bear in mind I'm no expert in any way ...basically I tweak, run 2 laps and if I hit my marks more accurately I keep changes and vice versa. I'm not afraid to try anything, even if it seems 'against the rules.'
    If i was in the profession in real life I'd take your car and give it back to you in a way I could drive it best. If you say you have this and this problem and ask me to tweak I'd pass on that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501013647.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	253747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501013506.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	253748

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501013516.jpg 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	253749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501013525.jpg 
Size:	184.6 KB 
ID:	253750

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501013534.jpg 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	253751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501013546.jpg 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	253752
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 15-05-2018 at 18:39.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by g.stew View Post
    If you want just splits against your own times, try something like vrhive. If you have a pc on the same network, you can record all your laps with telemetry and go through them to find places to improve. You can also use one of the dashboard views for split timing, etc. There are also other apps for phones or PC that do the same. I use vrhive and crew chief on a surface pro 4 that sits next to me. Crew chief tells me lap and sector times etc too so I don't have to look. They are both very easy to setup.

Like cpcdem said, it would be interesting to know your tuning process regardless of how much experience you have with it. I'm more interested in how you got where you got than what the end result is. I use the same setup guide you're talking about, along with a few other similar guides, spreadsheets, and applications. It's more likely at this point that I'll learn something good from someone who doesn't have a lot of experience and is trying different things that the experts wouldn't try.
    I'm on PS4 only here. I DO have a beast PC but that's for my work only no games or apps sadly. I use crew chief for races and quali but wouldn't that have same problem here? If game is reporting splits for another car on screen wouldn't CC say "you way too ****ing slow on that split matey boy!" ?
    I also tried using a telemetry app for the tires but it reported they were cold all the time here anyway so that didnt help. It DOES become useful in faster cars for stuff like brake and engine temps. So I use it for that on other cars. I prefer to see GREEN for good and RED for bad on the screen. Works for all the other cars.
    I posted a setup tonite and tried to explain some of my changes. These cars are pretty simple so I dont think I made too much of a fool of myself!