Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sloppy's Fast, Stable and Fun Career Tunes (G29)

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Are you using a wheel or controller Sloppy?
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    Are you using a wheel or controller Sloppy?
    Using Logitech G29 and pedals. I always race/time trial in cockpit view and use only my right foot for all pedal work (getting on in years and my dang left leg gets cramps when I try to make it work for a living!).
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Added to the thread title...
    I NEVER LOSE...I WIN OR LEARN...
    A special thanks to SMS and WMD for putting up with me all these years!
    The following user likes this Post: sloppysmusic

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    My next setup will be a kart default, using Dubai as it's a large technical circuit so if you can drive there you can drive anywhere. I am terrible at karts my best time at Dubai is 5 seconds from record but I have close to a stable tune that lets you think you are in a car not an unguided missile. I dont think anyone is interested anyway seriously in karts to want tunes for every track! Only the drive gear needs adjustment anyway for best times. The plan is for the setup to gas/brake/turn without spinning out and to maintain a good speed and not keep stopping at sharp curves.
    Then I only have Clio and Formula Rookie to do to catch up with my actual career (and start having fun again lol - this is hard work!). The Clio default tunes are so much more stable than they were in PC1 so I might stick with one or two default tunes there, gears again are not adjustable so not really an issue. Brands Indy and another track.
    Formula Rookie I have very stable tunes but they are not fast. At least not yet. I'm still staying to my original goal of providing tunes that are fun and stable above anything else, so you pick an AI setting and go have a fun race. I'm most interested in setting up gears for each track when I can do that. The Caterham tunes are something I am most proud of.
    Seriously, give them a go please! You can throw that car around and have fun against high AI settings. Looking forward to seeing if I can do the same once I get up into Tier 4 and above. I guess I should also have a go with the other car you can can choose instead of the Caterham. Can't recall which but I chose the 'slower' option in career.
    Thanks all for your kind words and support I hope I can keep this going...If I get out of my depth I will be honest and say so but I recall PC1 was a lot of fun with the LMPs and Formula cars later on.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, VelvetTorpedo

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Kart Setup - Stable/fast generic plus final drive for all tracks

Well this took most of the day but I'm so glad I took the time to get it right. As the kart takes some getting used to I stuck with one tune that is easy, smooth and fast to drive and decided to test and provide the optimum final drive setting for each track.
    I took the Kart to Caldwell Park and noted maximum speeds for each drive setting. Then started a career race and noted if a selected gearing could reach its maximum speed or not. Due to the proliferation of tight bends and slow corners it's important to keep the gearing
    as low as possible yet also lose the minimum time on the straights.
    Tuning notes:
    Front tire pressures set higher than rear to prevent oversteer.
    LWB set midway for natural weight transfer.
    Caster angle set to full to maximize stability after swinging round corners and getting straight again asap.
    Forward rake for stability.
    Minimum steering ratio for tight control of wheel. Tune is very stable so this is no problem!
    Camber neutral, toe in does the turning for you.
    Bumps..TBH I dont remember touching these!
    Engine braking 0 to make coasting round slow corners easy and smooth with braking only really required for hairpins. Helps keep inertia through corners.
    Final drive most important setting for each track. No point in having a gear so high you cant reach its max speed, thats a waste, yet also important not to max out on the occasional actual decent straight (Le Mans for instance).

Here are all the final drive settings and maximum possible speed on a long straight:

Speeds are in mph. Convert to kph as you please or someone do it for me, maybe Konan?

Final Drive/Max speed
    8.182/58
    7.909/61
    7.545/63
    7.273/66
    7.000/68
    6.727/71
    6.545/74
    6.273/76
    6.000/81
    5.818/61 (Drag at play here)

For example, first race of season was Dubai. AI setting 80/80. Ran 63 which peaked very briefly, won easy with 12 seconds gap to 2nd place fastest lap 1.02. Dropped to 61 which maxed out for only a couple seconds but I finished 18 seconds ahead with fastest lap 1.01.
    So I would select 61 here for max acceleration. Race was very smooth and I have to say easy, most corners could be taken with lift off gas and turn in, tight corners with hard straight line braking then quick turn just before corner resulting in easily controllable slide into next straight.

I will be filling in the final drive speeds below for all the tracks as I complete them to save wasted re-posts. Screenshots of the generic tune follow after. The PS4 time trial record for Dubai is approx 58.7 seconds. I think this is within reach for someone now quite easily!

Final Drive Settings For Each Track:

Dubai - 7.909/61
    Glencairn East - 8.182/58
    Summerton Sprint - 7.000/68
    Le Mans - 6.727/71
    Chesterfield - 7.273/66
    Summerton International - 7.000/68
    Greenwood - 7.545/63 (Wet tires in Euro Championship career!)
    Glencairn GP - 7.273/66
    Summerton National- 7.000/68
    Glencairn East Reverse - 8.182/58

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501225211.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	253777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501225221.jpg 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	253778

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501225236.jpg 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	253779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501225245.jpg 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	253780

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180501225005.jpg 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	253781

Last edited by sloppysmusic; 15-05-2018 at 18:38.
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Clio Cup - Race 1/5 - Brands Indy - Setup and AI Recommendations

This race series is the first introduction to touring cars new players on the PC2 Career will likely face. The default tunes are certainly usable but have quirks for the newcomer. To make the whole experience a fun challenge I am going to post setups that will race reliably and fast, plus AI recommendations that should not only keep you on your toes, but also keep you safe from cars doing speeds faster than any human had been capable of!

My personal best in qualifying was 51.738. The PS4 record is currently 51.181.
    An AI setting of 75/75 produces a lead car that is fractions faster than the PS4 human record. So use this if you either an alien or like the challenge of winning with consistent place points!
    70/70 gave times just beneath that but above the fastest I could get the car to achieve with my tune. Use this if you want the hardest challenge and like pushing for personal records.
    Overall for a equal challenge against the AI I recommend 65/65 (you can put aggression up to 100 if you like a good scrap!) as the lead car was almost level with my best time. This way IF you can qualify to the best of your ability you can finish pole. A good close race is guaranteed even if you are further down the starting grid, especially with a good start.

Tune notes:
    I like to setup the steering behavior with camber/caster as we have no roll bar settings here.
    To avoid oversteer and spin outs I have raised the front tires to 5 PSI above the rear. This is common in my tunes, I just like the smooth way I can take corners fully in control. Purists may scowl!
    The brakes are powerful in this car, I set brake pressure as shown for when/if I need to slam them on so I don't lock up but otherwise all of the race you mostly just need light pressure before a turn. Druids is the only time you really need to brake hard. The tune keeps you very stable here. Paddock (the first turn) will spin you out if you wrench the car too strongly to the right after hard braking but the setup allows you to get some controllable oversteer to mildly drift around the apex.
    Ride height forward rake of 10mm seems to be the sweet spot for me.
    Neutral toe in to keep the front end tame and enough negative camber to control corners.
    Fuel load for a 9 lap race is 6L (4l 6 laps shown in screenshot below this is ideal for a few qualifying laps).
    Radiator can be closed full for qualifying. 10% after 9 laps reaches 220F, about as high as you want to go by end of race.
    I am using the Viscous LSD on mid setting but you can always try turning to off or tweaking to suit your driving style.

The 9 lap race was great fun, even though I started pole I had cars in my mirror close up the whole time. The results shown are the second race. The first I made one error and slipped into 3rd which made the race more interesting but as I passed 2nd place between Paddock and Druids half way through the race the robot clipped my rear on turn in and spun me into last. I fought back to 4th but raced again to see what the spread would be in a race without major errors. 65/65 AI settings mean you HAVE to race at your best to win but without a major boo boo a podium finish is yours with a good solid drive.
    I will experimenting with the AI levels for EVERY race from now on, they give vastly different opposition not only between series but also between races IN the same series.
    Have fun, Oulton Island coming up next.

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180502234947.jpg 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	253809Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180502235016.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	253810

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180502235025.jpg 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	253811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180502235036.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	253812

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180502235046.jpg 
Size:	234.9 KB 
ID:	253813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180502235105.jpg 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	253814

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180503002204.jpg 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	253815
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cpcdem, davidt33

Platform
    PS4
    You seem to have a really good grasp of things Sloppy and your narrative is quite interesting. Can't wait to try one of your tunes.
    Soon as there's a car and track available for a race I'll be doing I'll be using a respective tune. Cheers.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following user likes this Post: sloppysmusic

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    You seem to have a really good grasp of things Sloppy and your narrative is quite interesting. Can't wait to try one of your tunes.
    Soon as there's a car and track available for a race I'll be doing I'll be using a respective tune. Cheers.
    Thanks David! I did some research to see who wanted what tunes and saw you requesting a kart tune a while back then noticed you'd liked my kart post so figured I didn't need to notify you!
    Really looking forward to some feedback, I'm expecting either "wow love this" or "omg what have you DONE to this car?!". Even though I'm doing career series I have already done before I am enjoying them
    so much more with a stable/fast tune and especially once I have matched the AI to the series. So will be doing that for all races from now on.
    One dream would be for someone to take one of my tunes and post a world record with it. Another dream is opening up the internals of PC2 to the vast user base who never touch tunes but instead just lower AI settings until they can win.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Clio Cup - Race 2/5 - Oulton Park Island - Setup and AI Recommendations

I'm really starting to enjoy this series at last. The work involved to get a stable tune and choose the best AI has given me two really fun races tonight after all the tech stuff has been worked out. I know now I can jump back into a career (one day in the distant future) and blast through with everything ready for me, I really hope it works out this way for others too!
    First of all the setup. There isn't one..well not a NEW one. I had my previous tune and used that to set a 135.354 qualifying time, then for fun I loaded up my Brands Indy setup and after a little adjustment managed 134.617. (For reference the PS4 TT record is 132.160). I tried some tweaks but nothing improved it so for the set up please use the SAME setup as for Brands Indy in my previous Clio Cup post. The problem was that the AI were pretty useless here on 65/65 that I'd got giving me a great race at Brands. They were about 4 seconds off the pace during my first session so I tried 75/75 which was 2 seconds off then finally settled on 85/85 which although sounding intimidating at first still put them 1 second behind at 1.35.711. I was getting consistent sub 1.36 laps all the time so my recommendation for this race is 85/85

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180503203332.jpg 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	253837

I ran two races, racing sloppily (!) to try and make a little boo boo so I could have some catching up to do, to see if the AI were passable. (Not much fun knowing ONE error will wreck the race).
    The first race I spun round on the first corner half way round and ended last. Could catch up only half the places so I ran a second race and after 'accidentally' running over a large kerb spun off but got back in 6th giving me a fighting chance. Took me about 2 laps to get back in front driving aggressively but not dirtily, so I'm confident practice with this setup will give the best challenge at 85/85. (Very confident drivers could up this to 100/100 and have a great fair challenge!)

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180503210723.jpg 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	253838

I also recommend for newcomers who haven't already done so to create 2 new pit strategies: Slick and Wet. You won't need them yet but you will before long so have them ready! Whatever tires you use at the start of the race, slicks or wet, set the OTHER one as default for the pit stop. Make sure you ONLY have tire changes in there unless you want to sit for a couple mins while your diligent staff buff your paintwork and change your spark plugs!

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180503203600.jpg 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	253836

To add some extra 'value' to this post as it's missing a new setup I am working on a video showing the qualifying lap and race highlights, so you can see where I gain and lose time with good and bad driving during my sloppy run.

That's all for this race I'm really looking forward to the next tomorrow!

Platform
    PS4
    Just wondering, if there's a tune needed for a specific car and track (that you haven't done/posted yet) would you take a request to do a tune for it?
    I race in two private lobbies and always looking for tunes for upcoming races. I'd really like to try one of your tunes.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333