Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [REPORTED] Lag/Stuttering in MP (and solo) when an accident occurs anywhere on track

Platform
    PC

[REPORTED] Lag/Stuttering in MP (and solo) when an accident occurs anywhere on track

Frequently, mainly online because that's the mode I play the most, I notice lag / stuttering when an accident occurs on track, even when it is not in line of sight. It could be an accident 1/2 way around the track, but still, I get a horrible stutter that can also cause me issues especially if mid-corner or on approach to one.

i.e On Nordschleife vs the AI, there is one corner (I don't know the name, possibly berkwerk) that the AI have some trouble with and usually crash. I can tell it happens before I even get close because of the stutter, sometimes on the following lap they are still there struggling to get going again.

Likewise on MP, I will often get this stuttering for a few seconds and the chat suddenly pops up with a load of "WTF dude Y-U-RAM ME" or words to that effect :P
    Its become pretty obvious that the cause of the stuttering is some form of accident on track, somewhere.

Now, if this isn't happening to everybody, perhaps it could also relate to either Crew-Chief or Simvibe, both of which I use every time I play.
    Admittedly, I have yet to try without, but thought I would put it out there anyway.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate it, as in turning down a setting or something else??

Edit: I should have put this in the tech support section (feel free to move it mods)
    RWB Racing International
    Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals, Rift CV1 or 4K XB321HK screen. i7 6700k, 32gb Ram, 1080ti, Samsung 850 SSD, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Carlos Eduardo Araujo, cpcdem, F1_Racer68, Raklodder

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    You are very possibly right. I also got two big stutters yesterday for almost a second each, during a 40 minute race. I was in both cases alone on track (no other cars nearby), but there were some accidents happening here and there. This could be it...

Platform
    PC
    I observed a few over the weekend which finally convinced me, the occasional stutters are 100% accident/crash related.

One, I was on Monza (of all tracks) and was just approaching lesmos, it stuttered like mad causing me to go a bit wide and not quite make the turn right, but when I glanced at the minimap, I saw about 7 stationary dots and some ranting to follow. In fact, every stutter like that has been followed by either some form of ranting or me taking a corner to see a few cars trying to recover. I have been in numerous 'very clean' races and it never occurs.

I have no idea how the game works in terms of damage, but I wonder if its the engine having to create / load in the 'debris', similar to how the lag happens when a new player joins, loading in their car / livery, maybe it loads bonnets, tailgates etc on demand, in a similar way ?!?

I brought up crew chief because I know that notifies of incidents sometimes and also considered that maybe it gets a flood of info (in a multi-car pileup), but not sure on that yet.

P.S PC2 is running on an SSD too (full specs in sig)

I'm going to try turning particles and perhaps a few other settings right down tonight, see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by FxUK; 30-04-2018 at 20:31.
    RWB Racing International
    Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals, Rift CV1 or 4K XB321HK screen. i7 6700k, 32gb Ram, 1080ti, Samsung 850 SSD, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cpcdem, F1_Racer68

Platform
    PC
    Yeah, been noticed by a couple of us, I don't get it personally but a couple of people do, don't think it's Simvibe as I run SC4 and have no issues, these guys don't run that anyway.
    The following user likes this Post: FxUK

Platform
    PC
    So, I ran without crewchief / simvibe and can confidently say these are not the culprits.

One of the last races I had where this happened, I made a mental note of where I was on track / what lap and reviewed the replay to see what else was going on around the track at the same time. As I suspected, there was a crash involving heavy damage (body panels flying across the track). From what I can tell, this does seem to be the cause.
    RWB Racing International
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cpcdem, F1_Racer68

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Now that is interesting. I have those lags, too. From my perspective, the problem was not reproducible as I could not recognize certain conditions under which it occured. But possible crashes on the track at the same time was nothing I was aware of. I always thought it was somehow connected to the Oculus Rift. However, I never had this problem in Hotlaps so it is a possible explanation.

Platform
    PC
    Can confirm this actually, racing tonight FX was in front and slid, hit the wall as I saw in my rear view and as soon as he did I felt a slight stutter for a second completely in sync with the incident.
    The following user likes this Post: FxUK

Platform
    PC
    Reported to the devs, they're looking into it.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Charger, cpcdem, FxUK, Zemke

Platform
    PC
    I've also experienced this pretty much since day one. The only 3rd party app I run while pCARS is up are Z1 Dashboard and TeamSpeak.

PCARS2 runs from SSD. Full system specs in signature.

EDIT: Note that I am running with nVidia Surround Mode enabled as I actually have 4 displays. Not listed in specs is a 4" HDMI display mounted to CSW base which runs my Z1 Dashboard app.
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD FX-8370 w/Wraith Cooler MoBo - GB-78LMT-USB3 (Rev 6.0) RAM - 24GB 1600 DDR3, Video - Zotac GTX1060 AMP! 6GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Agreed, i have the same issue.

What ive noticed. Occasioanlly i get the pause when a new sound needs to play (Not only crashes) but sometimes i select PIT IN, and it appears to "load" the pit commentary which causes a tiny pause.. (as crashes play the crash sound), i am wondering if its something with the sounds not pre-loaded.

However it may also be the physics in the crash are being sent (Spiked) to all players causing a latency delay.

I moved my game to an M2 drive yesterday, and my "Sound" issue - when playing a sample that isnt used frequently seems to have gone away.. And im yet to have a spike in a race with a crash yet.. Leads me to suspect its linked to Disk Accessing of data of some kind for some reason. (something that isnt cached at race load time).
    CPU : I7-7700k, 16gb Gskill 3200 DDR4 Ram. GTX 1070
    3x27" AOC Monitors, G29, with custom perfect pedal mod.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Asturbo, F1_Racer68