Thread: Help needed with high tire temp and AI grip not affected

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Question Help needed with high tire temp and AI grip not affected

Currently running at Catalunya in GT3 career mode. Track temp very high (44 degrees) so of course there should be a problem with high temp on the tires. Reaching about 115 degrees on the rear using Hard slicks @ 2.0 bar (hot pressure). This is to me a bit high and strugling to keep it down but would need some help on lowering them. Been reading some posts but cannot seem to find any solutions. Fiddling around with higher pressure does not seem to help and increaseing the rear duct only make my brakes into ice cubes but not helping my tire temp.

I would say that for me it's ok, I can drive around it and try to maintain it on the limit but the biggest frustration is that the AI seems to be totally none affected by this. I drive on 100% AI and for the two first laps I have no issue following (starting 4th on the grid) but after my tires reaches 105+ it's not possible to keep up.

Anyone else had the same issue?
    Anything I can do to lower the temp? -25 degrees
    i7-8700k CPU @ 3.70GHz/32Gb DDR 4 3200MHz/ ASUS GTX 1080Ti 11GB/Fanatec CS Wheel base 2.5/CS Pedals V3/BMW GT2/CS Handbrake 1.5

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    According to Yorkies 'how to' guide on youtube, the primary way to manipulate tyre temps is through driving style, although a good setup so that you are not having to overdrive will obviously help. Theres lots of talk about pressures but that was a uniquely PC1 deal. In PC2 pressures need to be as recommended by the tyre manufacturer plus or minus fine tuning for setup purposes, because things like sidewall performance are now modelled.. I find running sensible camber with zero angle on toe does a bit in terms of helping out. Generally I try and run as little camber as I can on tracks where overheating is possible, and set that up asymetrically so that the benefit is maximised- EG on some tracks I'll have 2 degrees on the front left but zero on the front right, as the inner section takes a beating otherwise.
    Suspension can play a big part too- avoid the car skipping and abrading over the surface with a nice mechanical setup unless youre relying on downforce for your performance. It needs to be a compromise. Also you could try adjusting the power diff to stop the rears spinning up so much, maybe decrease the angle a little. I sometimes adjust this quite aggressively to begin with until I find a happy average then fine tune, so if its up at 70, dial it to 30 and see how it runs.. if you can cope with developing understeer with power in slower corners this might help.. sounds crazy I know but desperate times desperate measures etc etc
    You may find that ultimately you cannot utilise all the available performance all of the time. This is life I'm afraid.
    Best of luck.

PS- I had a similar issue on the front at a hot Algarve race. By taking the final turn just a few mph slower I avoided the tyres cooking by a difference of about 10 degrees C. It meant dropping back deliberately from the car in front for better aero too so that the front tyres were supported by the aerodynamics more.. Instead of trying to drag down the straight into turn 1 (a rubbish overtaking spot anyway), I simply conserved performance for the second short straight into the overtaking zone at the end there. A little strategy like this can pay dividends..
    Last edited by Keena; 01-05-2018 at 20:24.
    The following user likes this Post: Rheyza

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Hard slicks should be fine at 115C, I don't think you should worry about that. Try lowering the pressures a lot, so that when warm they are only at 1.70 - 1.75 psi max, does that give you more grip?
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...S-2-Tyre-Temps

Great point cpcdem. Talk about missing the obvious lol Link above for pressure guide Stocken82
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I agree with cpcdem, your issues with the car are more likely due to the high pressure rather than high temp.

Lower the initial pressure to something like 1.33-1.35 and be sure you keep the brake ducts over 70% on hot tracks. This should keep the tyres between 1.70 and 1.80 hot pressure.

It's very possible that your tyres reach high temperature because you're sliding too much because the 2.0 pressure, but in case you still overheat the tyres, you can try increasing spring rate and decreasing bump dampening (don't do it all toghether, do one small change and then test it thouroghly)