Thread: IA behaviour in RAIN

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

IA behaviour in RAIN

Hi all !

I wanted to share with you some strange behaviour that I've noticed racing against IA in wet weather, in particular the Fuji race in the GT4 intercontinental championship. I drive the KTM XBOW GT4 with IA difficulty at 100%.
    The race starts with heavy rain, so I start with the rain tyres. No problem so far.
    But as the race continues, the rain stops and the track dries progressively. And at some point the IA drive like if the track was totally dry (or with Slick tyres without any pit stop), while I still struggle with rain tyres. So I lose positions each corner . I do improve the lap times but it seems like the IA switches from totally wet => totally dry.

Is it some known issue ?

Share if you also encountered this problem .

Cheers,

HakkaBi

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I encountered the very same issue on xbox one X, and posted about it in the AI thread. Very frustrating race! I think there are balancing problems with the AI when in varied weather conditions.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1505673

I find in practice and Quali in light rain the AI are way too fast for the first 2-3 laps then as the session continues and the track gets wetter, they are way too slow. Perhaps this is related to this problem or possibly because the AI have no problems with tire warm up. If I look in the pause screen at "last lap" towards the middle of the session they are about 2 seconds off my pace, 4 or more towards the end.

The same can be said for races, and then the opposite is true as the track dries. I set the AI to be competitive at the start of the race and as the track dries they are too fast.

Also, and slightly unrelated, regardless of weather I find in races the race leader nearly always laps 1-2 seconds slower than in quali and that the mid pack more or less match quali times. I've had races where I've sat in 2nd or 3rd place for the whole duration, unable to make the pass. The AI behind attempt to pass me, make a mistake and drop behind by a second or so then immediately make back the gap to be right behind in a lap or 2. It's almost like the AI are rubber-banding.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    ^^^
    Your last.
    I have not noticed any rubber banding but i would point out that the mirrors have a wide field of view and this can lead to the impression that they gain time 'spookily'.

If you watch some replays you wont see the AI doing any weird accelerating.
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    ^^^

Rubber banding is probably the wrong term. AI race leader laps up to 2 seconds slower than quali, mid pack match or exceed quali times to keep in touch with the leaders, so no gaps form between AI through the field. If the mid pack (worse drivers in Quali) can match the fastest times from quali in the race whilst the race leaders (fastest in Quali) can't there is something wrong in my opinion.

The mirrors give a poor impression of gaps behind I agree, pretty pointless really. I have turned all mirrors off and use look back and proximity indicators instead.
    Last edited by chastewand; 05-05-2018 at 12:53.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Okay thanks for your answers, glad to see that I'm not the only one encountering this problem.
    Let's say the AI algorithms aren't perfect but still pretty good compared to Gran Turismo.. AI in Assetto Corsa is quite good as well.

Also, regardless of wet weather or not, IA are incredibly fast at some high speed corners (the 3rd curve, long right in Fuji for example) and incredibly slow in other corners...
    The following user likes this Post: chastewand

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by chastewand View Post
    ^^^

Rubber banding is probably the wrong term. AI race leader laps up to 2 seconds slower than quali, mid pack match or exceed quali times to keep in touch with the leaders, so no gaps form between AI through the field. If the mid pack (worse drivers in Quali) can match the fastest times from quali in the race whilst the race leaders (fastest in Quali) can't there is something wrong in my opinion.

The mirrors give a poor impression of gaps behind I agree, pretty pointless really. I have turned all mirrors off and use look back and proximity indicators instead.
    I didn't say the mirrors were poor, they give a wider field of view, as you would expect, and that can cause the mis-perception you describe.
    How effective they are varies from car to car and also is dependent on seating position.

I turn off proximity indicators off when I can and tend to now use enhanced graphics as the mirror is very detailed in that mode.
    Last edited by Zaskarspants; 05-05-2018 at 16:57. Reason: typo
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

Banned
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Is the OP checking lap times in the replay? If so, this isn't an issue of mirror FoV and 'perception'...

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by simsimsheree View Post
    Is the OP checking lap times in the replay? If so, this isn't an issue of mirror FoV and 'perception'...
    Absolutely checking lap times. Can't say if the time difference is evident on all platforms, only the xbox one x. Not always as large as 2 seconds - formula rookie career at algarve was the specific race I was referring to. I find fuel load makes little difference in the lower tiers, and the races are only 8-10 laps anyway so I tend to match my quali times in races, and like I said, the AI leader is slow in comparison to the mid pack who tend to match quali times. Some races I up the AI from quali by 15-20 to tune out the offset, but then the same is true, mid pack pretty much always significantly faster than the leaders.