Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaderboards

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1

Leaderboards

After a year I have bought gold again for Xbox One.
    I looked forward to time trial, to see where I stand against the world on Xbox One.
    But it doesn't work for me, most of the times it says that there are no records set or that it cannot sync.
    I have been told that you have to let the avatar pictures load, but most of the time it takes a very long time or sometimes it just doesn't work at all.
    I don't race online but like the challenge of time trial, but I cannot do it because the leaderboard doesn't work most of the time.
    This is a real bummer because I drive Formula Rookie and you can't select by car so you have to go through lot's of pages to get where the times are of Formula Rookie.
    I have sought if there is a leaderboard on the Pc of the Xbox One, but there isn't one only from Pc.
    Is there a way to make this feature work?
    Or will this be worked on?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    This is related to a storage limitation set on the console platforms when using their api's for leaderboard content.

I don't know the details for PS4, but I can make some guesses as to how it works for xbox from their api docs.

First, the entry on the leaderboard has content tied to it. This is your setup and your ghost information. That content is actually stored under your profile, and as such, is controlled by your published content privacy settings. There are limitations on how much of this title storage can by used by a "title". Reads and writes to this storage can also be throttled to prevent excessive access, but these rules are likely relaxed based on the size of the player base. I'm not sure how the amount of storage available varies by title, but it's likely no more than 256MB.

The api calls for leaderboard content return the XUID for the xbox user, and then further information (profile pic, setup, ghost data) has to be retrieved from their profile. The call to the api is asynchronous and doesn't block so your UI will be usable while the data is retrieved in parallel. The times themselves may be stored as a stats or possibly in a blob under the title storage, I'm not really sure. I'm guessing maybe as stats since that data is shown immediately while the rest of the data has to be retrieved.

At any rate, it's probably very similar for PS4.

So as far as I can tell, the consoles don't specifically limit the number of leaderboards that a "title" can have, but they do limit the amount of storage a title can have per user. You'd have to implement your own way to limit the leaderboards to prevent overuse of this storage. Titles are likely only allowed to use this storage for content, which prevents them from using their own hosted storage or some other solution. It's all a part of the walled garden approach that Sony and Microsoft use.

I would suggest trying the community events if you want to see some more car or class specific leaderboards. They are only open while that community event is open, but at least you can compare yourself equally on the leaderboard since it is specific to that event.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Bliman, Hammerpgh, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Makes sense, but in the case of your times by track and car not showing, that shouldn't be applied I guess. Still you don't have that info.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I check my times against the PC leader boards.

http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Bliman, Hammerpgh

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Thanks for the info.
    I never had this problem with Project Cars1.
    I know there are PC leaderboards (thx none the less Zaskarspants) but if there is a limitation on the consoles isn't there a workaround?
    It is such a pain that the Time trials are useless to me.
    I try to let it load the avatars but sometimes it just doesn't work or takes a very long time.
    Thx for the tip of the community events and will try to use that sometimes.
    To me the time trial is basically broken unless you use times set by your friends.
    Does no one use this mode or doesn't they care, or does it work for you all?
    I would really like this to be fixed because it is so much fun trying to set the fastest time against a ghost, sadly it is not possible for me at the moment.
    Are the developers looking to solve it one way or the other (especially if I didn't had this problem with Project Cars 1).

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliman View Post
    Thanks for the info.
    I never had this problem with Project Cars1.
    I know there are PC leaderboards (thx none the less Zaskarspants) but if there is a limitation on the consoles isn't there a workaround?
    It is such a pain that the Time trials are useless to me.
    I try to let it load the avatars but sometimes it just doesn't work or takes a very long time.
    Thx for the tip of the community events and will try to use that sometimes.
    To me the time trial is basically broken unless you use times set by your friends.
    Does no one use this mode or doesn't they care, or does it work for you all?
    I would really like this to be fixed because it is so much fun trying to set the fastest time against a ghost, sadly it is not possible for me at the moment.
    Are the developers looking to solve it one way or the other (especially if I didn't had this problem with Project Cars 1).
    I don't think there are any plans to work on it further. For most games, it's not a problem, but with the amount of content pcars could end up creating when you count all the tracks and then consider each available car on each of those tracks, they really have to control it this way. We have no way of knowing how much space a ghost or a setup takes (unless you can maybe view the cloud backend on steam and get a rough idea), but I'm sure they have factored that in when deciding how to group the leaderboards.

As far as loading the leaderboard pages themselves, the second step of loading the profile content is going to slow it down. This is out of their control and is subject to how fast the data is returned. Microsoft even states in their API docs that you should request the leaderboard data "slightly ahead of when you want to display it".

I didn't play much of pcars1 so I wouldn't know, but I would expect the same thing would happen. I'll have to load it up tonight and see how it looks. Maybe the content created by pcars2 takes up more space and they have to be more aggressive in managing the limits. Again, this is all guesses based on how the platform works.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I don't ever recall this problem in pCars 1. Your explanation makes sense I guess but is there no way to get leaderboards without having all that other information (avatars, profile, etc) loaded as well? Even if that meant not being able to load the ghosts it would be better because at least that way you would have some targets to aim for whereas at the moment it's a kind of pointless exercise in many respects.

Zaskarspants solution which I have used myself as well at least gives that ability to compare yourself with others but does the PC and Console versions of the game produce the same results in terms of lap times between the different formats.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    ^^^ Top times do appear comparable.

If you want to get a number one time on tt on consoles you do need to pick the fastest car in the group. There is still low hanging fruit to be picked, I got a number one in a tt on sakito international ( the shortest) with the g57 as only ten times were posted last week.
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskarspants View Post
    ^^^ Top times do appear comparable.
    Yea, I haven't seen any cases where the fastest times weren't comparable, except during the times when pc has a patch and console doesn't have it yet.

If you want to get a number one time on tt on consoles you do need to pick the fastest car in the group. There is still low hanging fruit to be picked, I got a number one in a tt on sakito international ( the shortest) with the g57 as only ten times were posted last week.
    Yea, there are some weird combinations out there that you can get. Try different types of cars (non-rally) on the rally dirt tracks. I think the community events are really the best place for active time trials right now though. It's the same top guys every time. I've managed to stay on the front page once I think.
    The following user likes this Post: Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Most of the time times are clustered by class (for example most of the time you see formula rookie times close to each other).
    Wouldn't it be possible to bypass the loading of the more faster times of the faster people?
    For example say that on a track you see that the fastest time is (2.02 min) for formula rookie after you did the loading the first time after you waited a very long time and you see it's the 62 th place on the leaderboard.
    Wouldn't it be possible for the developers to build in that you can narrow your search.
    So that you set to search from place 60 to 80 for example and only show that range, wouldn't you bypass the need for the waiting till everything from the first to the 60 place has to be loaded first?
    Give a loading bar to see how long you have to wait and that's it.