Thread: New to shifter

Platform
    PC

New to shifter

So - after racing a lot with the G920 i decided to buy the shifter today, as i found for it half price in a store.
    I put it on to my rig and did a bunch of laps in the 1971 MERCEDES-BENZ 300SEL at Hockenheim, but i am struggling!

• First of all, i am struggling to get used to braking with the right foot. Although it is no problem in my real world car, when i get on to project cars, i have been used to braking with the left foot.
    • Also, i am struggling with the clutch. In real life, i would simply press the clutch, brake untilli reach the speed that i need, and then engage the apropriate gear and release the clutch. But it seems that i need to change gears for each gear here, and even release the clutch in between
    • I can't quite figure out if the clutch really does anything, as i seemed like i could change gears without using it. Also, it felt like the gears engaged, even when the clutch was pressed

Do you have any tips for a newbie with the gear shifter like me?
    RookieRaceline | AllVirtualRacing
    Xbox Gamertag: Firben

WMD Member
    Hi, the clutch is only needed at start in PC2, hope they fix that at some point. I suggest training toe-heeling with one of the road cars like the GT86 and then moving up to a class where the braking and downshifting does upset the car more. It takes some time to get used to it but it sure is worth it

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I find that i do need to use the clutch when blipping on a downshift, it is impossible to do so without a quick dab of the clutch on many cars.

I appreciate many want the gears not to go in so easily, but the clutch works.

RookieRaceline - make sure you have auto clutch off. As for shifting more than one gear, that is possible on most cars but I have not tried it on the 300sel. Gearbox behavior does vary. I often go from fourth to second, with a blip or it might not go in.

Also - have you tried using the shifter in sequential mode? Some cars are stick sequential and rubber bands carefully arranged can give you a great sequential stick.
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ

Superkart Pilot
    I bought a Driving Force Shifter to my G920 just for Project Cars 2 (incl. all of my VR gear) but as you may have noticed, you barley have to use your clutch or take damage.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    It is easy change gear, but without using the clutch there are areas where you are likely to have problems. Down changes braking into corners without using the clutch and a throttle blip will unsteady many cars greatly.
    Cockpit view. 28 inch distance to 58 inch 4k HDR TV. Proper fov, 65. World movement 50, all other camera movement, 0. G920, shifter, Raw, 100, 40-60, 15-35, 0. Assists, all off. Currently play 90-120/100 AI. 10-20 lap quick races, some tt. Decent hifi, big speakers. Home made rig.
    You Tube Channel, recording my attempts to beat the AI at 120/100.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAW...nmkXnpurVpNxzQ