Thread: Are you able to answer this question (bandwidth question)?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Are you able to answer this question (bandwidth question)?

Hi SMS.

On may 19th, I'll move in a new house where the internet service is more expensive via satellite with limited bandwidth. Are you able to tell me how much bandwidth Pcars 2 consume every hour played ?

I would really appreciate you answer this before I sign any internet contract.

Thanks.

Andre.

Platform
    PC
    The satellite comunication nowdays brings decent transfer rates, but there is a major problem that is latency. It's unavoidable because the data has to go to the satellite (they are 36.000km over our heads), and back to your antena and that produces high pings that makes impossible to play online to most games. The usual latency of these conections is 800ms-1000ms and with that you can't play shooters or sims. Furthermore PCARS2 is specially demanding in this area, so I think you could have serious problems. Ask to your satellite ISP the latency of the connection, but probably a 4G line will work better for online gaming.

About bandwidth depends of many factors, specially the number of players. You have to transfer/receive the data to/from each of the players of the lobby, so with 10 players the bandwidth used is the double that with 5 players (teorically). The number of conections grows exponentially with the numer of players, but the amount of data transfered it's not very high.
    Last edited by Asturbo; 13-05-2018 at 11:00.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia GTX 1080 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung 951 PCI 250GB | Monitor: Asus VG248 144Hz | Wheel: Fanatec CSL | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator
    The following 5 users likes this Post: cluck, Flat-6, JasonSandwich, Mad Al, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Asturbo.

Very very good explanation sir. Thank you so much. Therefore, I have to tell you I'm not an online gamer or racer except occasionnaly with my son. So if I'm only playing for my own with the AI, may I expect such problems ? I ask this because I need to be connect to STEAM server before playing Pcars, so I need an internet connection even if I'm playing alone with the AI.

Andre.
    The following user likes this Post: Asturbo

Platform
    PC
    There isn't much transferred if you are online playing offline (i.e. no online multiplayer, no community events, and no Time Trial). Steam will sync your profile information and then there is the online authentication check. There will be a few calls like for Real Weather but the data will be small.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: Mad Al

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre.V View Post
    So if I'm only playing for my own with the AI, may I expect such problems ? I ask this because I need to be connect to STEAM server before playing Pcars, so I need an internet connection even if I'm playing alone with the AI.
    No problem for that. Steam would work well and no much data transfered (except patchs). You can play against AI, or with your son's ghosts. Latency isn't a problem in this situation.
    Last edited by Asturbo; 13-05-2018 at 07:16.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia GTX 1080 | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung 951 PCI 250GB | Monitor: Asus VG248 144Hz | Wheel: Fanatec CSL | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator
    The following user likes this Post: Mad Al

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Thank you so much guys, you answered my question about bandwidth. I didn't think about playing offline, that's a good idea. I never played online with other humans, I'm always playing only with the AI or alone on the tracks.

Thanks again.

Andre.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I played project cars 2 and every other game over 4g, using liquidsky game streaming. The game itself only has 21 ms latency, so 21 milisecond before I can see my input in the game.
    I pay 35 per month for 4g and have unlimitted acces to internet byte. Download and upload.
    The rate itself can go well over the maximum required for streaming 1080p games at 60 fps. So I can even use it as a wifi hotspot to play on my laptop.
    I have tried many times playing online games over 3g on my local computer, not game streaming, game running on my local computer. and found it eats like 50 mb per hour? Latency was max 30 ms, I cant recall exactly mb used, but it was low for sure. Maybe 100mb per hour? Max? For a data heavy game. Some games like overwatch allow you to limit data used even. Or so ive heard.
    Last edited by CSL-Drive; 13-05-2018 at 18:38.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    CSL-Drive.

Thank you for your feedback. That is really good. I will probably take the 5gb bandwidth limit, so hearing all your comment, I'll be very good with a such bandwidth.

Andre.