Thread: Playseat Alcantara, Evolution or Revolution?

Superkart Pilot

Playseat Alcantara, Evolution or Revolution?

Anyone who has had any experience with Playseat's Alcantara, Evolution or Revolution?

What are your thoughts of them and what's the biggest difference?

I'm not looking for best or greatest racing seat, only want to finalize my Project Cars VR experience.

Any help and advice at all (product suggestions, etc.) will go a long way to help me finally make up my mind.

I'm planing to play with my G920 and pedals, but how would I go about mounting my Driving Force Shifter or 3rd party handbrake?
    Last edited by Raklodder; 14-05-2018 at 10:21.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Be sure to order the separate gear shifter mount...
    I don't know how to mount the handbrake though...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	254449
    Last edited by Konan; 14-05-2018 at 03:06.
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!
    The following user likes this Post: Raklodder

Platform
    PC
    You could also use the shifter support for the Playseat Challenge (and other models I think).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51GE2KzppjL._SL1064_.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	254450 (link, price is ridiculously high)

Then, you could (maybe) mount a handbrake to the mount Konan posted.

(just in case you are interested in that part, I got one left I could send to you, having a friends and family discount price in mind )

Platform
    PC
    The Evolution in the picture has this big pole between your knees, if you're using 3 pedals this can be quite inconvenient. The Revolution has a different construction that works better in that respect (I have it myself).
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    The Evolution in the picture has this big pole between your knees, if you're using 3 pedals this can be quite inconvenient. The Revolution has a different construction that works better in that respect (I have it myself).
    I have the Revolution too, and while the bar not being between your knees is quite convenient, the plastic table for the wheel and the bar mount on the seat is quite wonky and has too much flex imo. Unfortunately, Playseat themselves couldn't help me to make things more sturdy.
    Last edited by Invincible; 14-05-2018 at 08:09.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible View Post
    I have the Revolution too, and while the bar not being between your knees is quite convenient, the plastic table for the wheel and the bar mount on the seat is quite wonky and has too much flex imo. Unfortunately, Playseat themselves couldn't help me to make things more sturdy.
    Indeed, I get the feeling that the Revolution was not made for strong (i.e. CSW v2/2.5 and DD) wheels. Also the locking mechanism of the wheel table is quite weak, it slowly moves down over time when using a strong FFB wheel.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    Indeed, I get the feeling that the Revolution was not made for strong (i.e. CSW v2/2.5 and DD) wheels. Also the locking mechanism of the wheel table is quite weak, it slowly moves down over time when using a strong FFB wheel.
    To prevent the table from slowly creeping down, I wrapped a single layer of duct-tape around the bar were I wanted to the locking mechanism to be, sparing only a 2 cm wide gap on the top of the triangle-bar. Then fiddle the mechanism over the tape, and tighten it. I hasn't moved a single cm ever since I've done that.
    When done right, you won't even see the tape because it is completely hidden by the mechanism. This also removes a wee bit of flex, but the table itself still has plenty of flex, even if the lock sits really tight.
    Just make sure that the side of the triangle are covered with tape, most importantly, the bottom side, where the locking stuff "grips". Moving the lock over the tape without pushing the tape away can be a bit tricky, but it is possible.
    Last edited by Invincible; 14-05-2018 at 10:44.
    Member of RevolutionSimRacing

New Rig: Board: Asus Crosshair VI Hero / CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @3,9Ghz/ GPU: KFA² GTX1080 EX OC / RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @2866 Mhz / PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850W / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3Tb / SSD: OCZ ARC100 240 Gb + Crucial MX300 525 GB / Cooler: Corsair H110i / Case: NZXT Phantom 630 / Wheel: Fanatec CSL Elite + Clubsport Pedals V3 Inverted / OS: Win 10 x64 Pro
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Raklodder, Sankyo

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I have a playseat evo, works fine for me, the central column doesn't bother me at all... If you have a seperate gearshifter you will need to order the seperate gearshift holder if buying the evo version.

I have had mine since around 2012 and its great, if i were buying today though i would take a good luck at the GT Omega is it as well... Which looks a really nice bit of kit

Superkart Pilot

Thank you so much for all of your input and suggestions, but it looks like I will have to rethink my purchase.

As mentioned by @sankyo the middle steel pole might be a problem (knowing that I'm easily bothered by minute things)...

I was fishing for products in the "budget segment" (nothing budget about a $349 product) but I will have to read up on the Obutto oZone.

However judging from the additional cost, shipping and custom fees, it might be twice as expensive than going with the cheaper alternative which is a deal breaker.

Also it's "out of stock", question is, should I wait another two months or buy whatever is available?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I have a Revolution. The only complaint I have was mentioned already: The base for the wheel does tend to slide down a bit over time. I just move it back up every now and then, but the tape fix would probably solve that problem.