Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What am i doing wrong in the rain

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Angry What am i doing wrong in the rain

so it looks like i'm just complete trash in wet conditions, I've been trying to do the first ginetta manufacturer drive on the snetterton 300, but the AI seems to drive like they would in normal dry conditions, while i'm around 10 seconds slower than my time when it is dry. I've lowered the AI difficulty from 70 to 40 and still, im at least 5 seconds slower than the fastest time. i tested to see what the AI time would be in dry conditions on the same track, and saw that on average they are 3 seconds slower in the rain, while I'm around 15 seconds slower. I've looked at some tuning guides and taken the advice, but it has not helped. at this point im ready to just set the AI to 10 to get by but I dont want to resort to that yet. if there is anything else I can do to improve racing in the rain I would love to know, because i am pretty desperate now. Thanks

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Theres a couple of things-

1) Not sure if this is modelled with livetrack but the rubber that is your friend in the dry that gets laid by other cars actually becomes your enemy in the wet as it makes the surface more slippery!
    Solution- take a different line to find greener areas of track with grooves that are not full of rubber that allow for better grip in wet conditions.
    2) adjust throttle sensitivity so that power is more gradual and less likely to break away in lower grip conditions
    3) adjust the car towards mechanical grip rather than aero- ill happily help develop a setup. This is because youre running slower so aero mechanical grip balance is different.

Finally- do not lose hope! Just because its hard, does not make it impossible!

Edit- finally if you view replay then resume during the race, the puddles are removed. They refill but it gives you a window to operate in if youre struggling.
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nd-exploit-bug
    Last edited by Keena; 14-05-2018 at 05:12.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Eric Everfast, F1_Racer68, hkraft300

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    thanks for the tips! Unfortunately I dont know much about setups other than very few basic things, so I don't really know what I should adjust for better grip. and yeah, the glitch, I will have to abuse that before it gets patched haha
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I'm spending a few hours with my daughter this morning then I'll get on it Once I have a nice wet weather setup I'll let you know! G55 wet Snetterton coming up
    The following 2 users likes this Post: LeCareJames, Maskmagog

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks! i appreciate it

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    in the meantime its study time....
    https://driver61.com/blog/circuit-driving-in-the-rain/

Edit- just to let you know what I'm going to be looking for-

1) a softer setup- this for a variety of reasons. See below a quick cut and paste job..

"A. Traction is reduced in slippery raining conditions, by being able to find the the limit of grip more slowly and progressively- it is easier to retain and maximise car control on the track. Softer suspension settings enable us to do this, with gradual weight transfer rates. Roll and pitch of the suspension system and chassis, increases with softer suspension settings- enabling tyre loading to be more progressive. Overall it lets the driver find the limits of grip and adhesion, in a tip-toe fashion, rather than quick and full-on responses.

B. Reduced traction in the rain will also mean that there are less forces acting on the vehicle under acceleration, braking and cornering forces. Cornering forces have the biggest loses in the rain, compared to acceleration and braking. By reducing the suspension settings (making it softer), it is possible for the same amount of suspension component travel to happen as in the dry with stiffer suspension, but with reduced forces acting upon them. Camber suspension settings for example, rely on the cornering forces of roll to be present, for the optimum settings. Softer suspension settings while racing in the rain, can achieve these levels with less forces on the suspension components."

2) Gear ratios- lengthen some and shorten others to reduce wheel spin in lower gears but also provide good acceleration in others.. its a balance that depends on the circuit.

3) Differential setups that make the loss of traction easier to manage and detect.

4) Heat management of the tyres and engine through camber (which will have to be adjusted anyway with suspension alterations) and through brakes.

Track knowledge- where are the puddles and what is the resultant optimal driving line.

Finally I'll run the challenge myself against the AI on 100% and let you know how it goes

Then I'll post my setup- some elements will be subjective (steering ratio, ffb etc). I run a G920 with peddles in a homebuilt DIY cockpit (nothing fancy just a timber frame with a car seat from a scrapyard). We'll get it cracked!
    Last edited by Keena; 14-05-2018 at 06:17.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I did an Imola race in the rain last night, old school Group 4 cars as part of a career race and the first few laps I made a 3 second lead and managed to hold it for a bit but slowly as each lap passed the AI closed in until 4 laps from the end they over took me and I struggled to get 4th.

But, what I noticed is, at first there were no puddles and I was setting some good laps, but after a few laps the puddles got bigger and by the end they were massive. All well and good, apart from the AI wasn't fazed by them but even if I went through one slowly the back end stepped out a lot, but following the AI for a few laps they just drove through them like nothing and pulled away each time, I then closed up on the brakes and then went through a puddle and back end come out again...

This is how it is with puddles and I think this is why the AI are quicker in the rain, as the first few laps I was consistent with my lap times, to the second, and holding a steady gap on the AI. I have noticed this same issue with puddles in other career races as well as ones I have setup.

I think puddles are awesome and add to the experience, but I wish the AI had the same issues we do...
    Last edited by Gav88888; 14-05-2018 at 07:03.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: chastewand, Hugo Catarino, shiftee

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav88888 View Post
    I did an Imola race in the rain last night, old school Group 4 cars as part of a career race and the first few laps I made a 3 second lead and managed to hold it for a bit but slowly as each lap passed the AI closed in until 4 laps from the end they over took me and I struggled to get 4th.

But, what I noticed is, at first there were no puddles and I was setting some good laps, but after a few laps the puddles got bigger and by the end they were massive. All well and good, apart from the AI wasn't fazed by them but even if I went through one slowly the back end stepped out a lot, but following the AI for a few laps they just drove through them like nothing and pulled away each time, I then closed up on the brakes and then went through a puddle and back end come out again...

This is how it is with puddles and I think this is why the AI are quicker in the rain, as the first few laps I was consistent with my lap times, to the second, and holding a steady gap on the AI. I have noticed this same issue with puddles in other career races as well as ones I have setup.
    Indeed- its a much discussed phenomena. In the meantime try this if you get stuck- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nd-exploit-bug

@ LeCAreJames I had a very quick go before I head out the door this morning. Theres lots to be unlocked in terms of wet weather pace in the car. I let the practice session run for just a few minutes on 100% and the AI posted an initial laptime of 1.55 in the wet. Is this representative?
    Last edited by Keena; 14-05-2018 at 07:03.
    The following user likes this Post: Hugo Catarino

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    well, when I was qualifying on snetterton 300, the AI fastest lap was 2 minutes on 40% (I think)I don’t exactly recall what their time was on 70% but I remember they were driving like mad, seemed like the wet had no effect on them and it looked like they were taking some corners full throttle. anyway I am not sure how much the difficulty curves the AI time but that has had been my expirence so far

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Ahh good to know! Now Im certain we can unlock enough pace. Pretty much there with the initial changes ive made. And i think theres lots more pace still there to be found. It wont be until later though.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, LeCareJames