Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diffs.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	254504

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I haven't done any long running on this yet so haven't got an accurate sense of temps and fuel requirements yet- this was just for the handling characteristics. I hope it helps you in any small way.

Some other stuff-

1) Avoid 1st gear at all costs. Stick to a gear higher than what is dry optimum for slower speed corners EG if a corner is good for 2nd gear in the dry, use 3rd in the wet. When you put power down its less torque-y.
    2) Aim for smoothness over speed. By trying aggressively for speed you'll overdrive. Not only will this be inconsistent, you'll cook the fronts. This means being super patient on the power..

Hope I've helped however slightly. In just an hour or so of running I knocked ten seconds off my initial lap. Its definitely do-able. I must admit on that first lap I was thinking it might be tough, but the fast lap times come from having a good car that you can trust, and being super smooth with it.

Good luck

PS I drank a lot of coffee before sitting down to this- that was probably good for a second as well
    PPS- Camber is asymmetric for tyre cooling and tread heating characteristics. Under braking it will pull a little to one side. This is normal- don't steer aggressively under these conditions.
    Last edited by Keena; 15-05-2018 at 13:00.
    The following user likes this Post: Gav88888

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Some additional things I've learned, also frustrated in wet (but getting better and dare-I-say..... actually sorta enjoying some wet races recently...)

(Matt York did a recent youtube video on wet setups.... worth watching)

- reduce the TC slip down to like 5-8%. Unless you like oversteer fun. But if the car has TC, use it. Same for antilock... use it if it has it. Make sure your tire sound volume is turned up, because it becomes really important to understand if you are locking the tires or not, and it happens much easier in the rain. So you need to be more gentle on the brakes. And maybe reduce the brake pressure a bit.
    - check your camber settings. Make it less negative (so tires more vertical). In the wet there is not so much cornering force and you just end up with the tire riding on the inside edge. You can see it in the telemetry screen tire temps where usually the outside temp is much colder than the inside temp.
    - with wet tires, increase your cold tire pressures way up. They need to be much higher 'cold' pressure to target the optimal range (still targetting the well documented tire pressure ranges in other forum threads, but you need to set your cold/starting pressures much higher than you would with dry/slicks). The wets don't increase pressure so much in the cold/wet conditions, and if you are running with pressures far below optimal range, this has an impact on the way the tire preforms in the wet.
    - you can likely close the brake ducts quite a bit (my experience). Running the brakes hotter also helps to get the tire pressures more in the right range. I find that tire pressure is much more important than tire temps in the wet.
    - increase your ride height. If you usually run low ride height in dry, it is likely you are aquaplaning in the wet. Some of the default setups are quite low, so you might need to check this.
    - I don't really mess around with diff or suspension too much. If anything, just soften the suspension a bit can help.
    - driving you simply need to be smoother. gradual accelleration and braking. slow in/fast out makes a big difference.
    - puddles, just try to avoid them or find the line around them. In corners there is almost always a line without a big puddle, usually more to the middle or outside. For the puddles on the straights, try to coast through them instead of standing on the gas.

That stuff made a big difference for me. When you expect or know there will be rain, these things in your setup can really help. But if the rain is a surprise, and you simply have a dry setup and then pit for wets..... it's going to most likely be a painful and frustrating race...

But I still do believe there are some cases where there is a glitch of some sort and the track simply becomes undrivable in the wet. Not always. But every now and then it happens. And when it does, it's clear.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Keena View Post
    I haven't done any long running on this yet so haven't got an accurate sense of temps and fuel requirements yet- this was just for the handling characteristics. I hope it helps you in any small way.

Some other stuff-

1) Avoid 1st gear at all costs. Stick to a gear higher than what is dry optimum for slower speed corners EG if a corner is good for 2nd gear in the dry, use 3rd in the wet. When you put power down its less torque-y.
    2) Aim for smoothness over speed. By trying aggressively for speed you'll overdrive. Not only will this be inconsistent, you'll cook the fronts. This means being super patient on the power..

Hope I've helped however slightly. In just an hour or so of running I knocked ten seconds off my initial lap. Its definitely do-able. I must admit on that first lap I was thinking it might be tough, but the fast lap times come from having a good car that you can trust, and being super smooth with it.

Good luck

PS I drank a lot of coffee before sitting down to this- that was probably good for a second as well
    PPS- Camber is asymmetric for tyre cooling and tread heating characteristics. Under braking it will pull a little to one side. This is normal- don't steer aggressively under these conditions.
    thanks! Really helped me out, was able to get a much better time with your setup. Rain feels much more manageable now that i know what to do. Really appreciate your help. Cheers, mate!
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Atak Kat View Post
    Some additional things I've learned, also frustrated in wet (but getting better and dare-I-say..... actually sorta enjoying some wet races recently...)

(Matt York did a recent youtube video on wet setups.... worth watching)

- reduce the TC slip down to like 5-8%. Unless you like oversteer fun. But if the car has TC, use it. Same for antilock... use it if it has it. Make sure your tire sound volume is turned up, because it becomes really important to understand if you are locking the tires or not, and it happens much easier in the rain. So you need to be more gentle on the brakes. And maybe reduce the brake pressure a bit.
    - check your camber settings. Make it less negative (so tires more vertical). In the wet there is not so much cornering force and you just end up with the tire riding on the inside edge. You can see it in the telemetry screen tire temps where usually the outside temp is much colder than the inside temp.
    - with wet tires, increase your cold tire pressures way up. They need to be much higher 'cold' pressure to target the optimal range (still targetting the well documented tire pressure ranges in other forum threads, but you need to set your cold/starting pressures much higher than you would with dry/slicks). The wets don't increase pressure so much in the cold/wet conditions, and if you are running with pressures far below optimal range, this has an impact on the way the tire preforms in the wet.
    - you can likely close the brake ducts quite a bit (my experience). Running the brakes hotter also helps to get the tire pressures more in the right range. I find that tire pressure is much more important than tire temps in the wet.
    - increase your ride height. If you usually run low ride height in dry, it is likely you are aquaplaning in the wet. Some of the default setups are quite low, so you might need to check this.
    - I don't really mess around with diff or suspension too much. If anything, just soften the suspension a bit can help.
    - driving you simply need to be smoother. gradual accelleration and braking. slow in/fast out makes a big difference.
    - puddles, just try to avoid them or find the line around them. In corners there is almost always a line without a big puddle, usually more to the middle or outside. For the puddles on the straights, try to coast through them instead of standing on the gas.

That stuff made a big difference for me. When you expect or know there will be rain, these things in your setup can really help. But if the rain is a surprise, and you simply have a dry setup and then pit for wets..... it's going to most likely be a painful and frustrating race...

But I still do believe there are some cases where there is a glitch of some sort and the track simply becomes undrivable in the wet. Not always. But every now and then it happens. And when it does, it's clear.
    thanks for all that, really helpful tips. appreciate that mate

Platform
    PS4 Pro

I suppose it is helpful. On the other hand, there's nothing in there that others haven't already mentioned or covered here. We're going to be slower than in dry conditions, we'll have to approach corners much more smoothly, it's important not to go full throttle all the time, especially coming out of corners, etc, etc, etc.

Again, nothing will help, if the AI cars still "fly" around the track, regardless of the conditions. Another thing that I haven't mentioned, is the blatant discrepancy between racing in the rain in Project CARS and what we usually witness in real-life racing. The bottom line is, sometimes it's not just raining but actually pouring water from the heavens. Realistically, that's fundamentally nonsensical, because any race director in any motorsport class would call for a Red Flag and suspend the race until conditions improve. We've just witnessed that on Sunday, during the last sequence of the Nürburgring 24 Hours.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    This is still a good watch though
    https://youtu.be/ZGG9T_G1KMI

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I'm glad to hear that a.i. pace in rain has been slowed in patch 6, and also driving through pulddles is less turbulent
    The following user likes this Post: shiftee