Thread: Head tracking technology for PS4

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Head tracking technology for PS4

Does anyone know of any head tracking technology that is cheap and works with PS4? There is only VR for PC with PC2 and as far as I can see TrackIR only works with PC. Does anyone know of a way to get head tracking that doesn't involve spending too much cash? I read something about Rii i7 - a kind of computer remote controller which seems cheap, but I'm not sure it would work for PC2 and PS4 or how you would set it up in PC2.
    Grateful any tips.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    How would head tracking work with a static screen?

For me, the slightest movement of the picture makes me think the car is moving. That's why I loathe PC2's stupid sidelook animation. Every other game simply 'jumps' to the sidelook, but PC2 got to animate it No matter how hard I try, every time I use it, I end up making slight corrections to the wheel for the apparent motion.

So, how would head tracking be any different? Sure, your head would move, but the monitor wouldn't, just the picture on it. And that would look like the car rotating.

You want a taste of VR without investing the $3000+ a decent system would set you back? Get GT Sport and a PSVR. No, you can't do much with it, race one slow as molasses AI, or hotlap your ghost, but even so, it's amazing. $300 well spent...

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    You don't need to spend anywhere near that much. I've got my dad's old PC which must be at least 5 years old now except for the Gtx 1060 that was installed 2 years ago and play PC2 just fine in VR using my PSVR

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimitch View Post
    You don't need to spend anywhere near that much. I've got my dad's old PC which must be at least 5 years old now except for the Gtx 1060 that was installed 2 years ago and play PC2 just fine in VR using my PSVR
    Oh, so you can use the PSVR on PC? How does it perform? How are the graphics?
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mincepie10 View Post
    Does anyone know of any head tracking technology that is cheap and works with PS4? There is only VR for PC with PC2 and as far as I can see TrackIR only works with PC. Does anyone know of a way to get head tracking that doesn't involve spending too much cash? I read something about Rii i7 - a kind of computer remote controller which seems cheap, but I'm not sure it would work for PC2 and PS4 or how you would set it up in PC2.
    Grateful any tips.
    You can try the PSVR, but it's not great. You might be able to find someone trying to sell one cheap on local buy/sell sights. Lots of people seem to be selling them for 'lack of use'.... just a matter of finding someone who isn't trying to recover all their money because it's 'like new'.

It's not really VR with PC2 though.
    - you can setup cinema mode. Which is not VR, but it's like playing on a massive TV. More like a movie screen. You cannot really see all the corners of the screen unless you turn your head. Think of it like sitting in the front rows at the movie theater.
    - then you can setup the FOV in PC2 quite wide. And probably have to move the seat position more backwards in the cockpit.
    - So when you turn your head, you simply see the left/right side of the screen due to the wider FOV. It's not really ideal though and you don't really get a full side view. Maybe enough to see your mirror and if there is already a car well alongside you. But some cars it looks strange because of where the front window pillars, and can block your view of the corners/apex.
    - It might be better if the screen you see was curved. But it's not. It's flat and that's it. So when you turn your head, the perspective is kinda lost, but at least it tracks really your head movement (I also get annoyed with the PC2 look left/right animation.... I wish it functioned just like the look-back...instant)

It's not ideal though, and personally I don't really like it. Tried it, went back to the TV.

Edit. What could be interesting is if the devs were able to simply change the view according to the PSVR movement. So not really full VR. Even just the look left/right function. Maybe also up/down tilt. Your head could still be locked in place, just the angle of view somehow related to the PSVR. Then, with cinema mode, it might be more interesting...
    Last edited by Atak Kat; 15-05-2018 at 12:10.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat
    The following user likes this Post: Sankyo

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    Oh, so you can use the PSVR on PC? How does it perform? How are the graphics?
    Yes you can use PSVR on PC with a third party software called Trinus and get full VR. I have been using it since launch and love it. Never used any other VR headset so can't compare. Graphics are good and I can run up to 120 FPS. The only annoying thing is that there is a gradual screen drift. So essentially if you never re center the view you would eventually have to turn your head 90 deg to see straight. I have a button on my wheel and just re center view ever so often.
    I7-7700K/GTX 1080/Corsair Vengeance 2x 8GB DDR4 DRAM/Gigabyte LGA1151 Crossfire DDR4 Motherboard/ADATA Premium Pro 256 GB SATA SSHD/Deep Cool TX Mid Tower Tesseract/
    Trinus PSVR
    The following user likes this Post: Sankyo

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I agree, it may not be quite as good as the Rift I tried, but that was on a far better machine so hard to compare. It's considerably comfier than the Rift though, don't think I could wear the Rift for more than an hour whereas I've spent hours playing various games on the PSVR on both PS4 and PC. There is a drift issue but that is present on all headsets as far as I'm aware which is why there is the recenter view option in games. Only reason I go back to Assetto and PC2 on console now is to trophy whore, otherwise I play them and R3E on PC