Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unplayable with controller (FFB), How do people play ?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Dunno about the demo, but the full version of the game supports rumble which has been improved recently. it is quite good now, only thing missing on pc for the Xbox one controller is triggering vibration.
    Xbox One X!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Let's talk about a wheel again a minute... Yes, it's seems like a chunk of money to put into a peripheral. But think of it this way. Look around for a discount, a T150 can be well under $200. Seems like a lot of money?

It's about what three or four full price games cost! You got three or four games? You have already spent that much... Probably way more.

Stick to one racing game, cut out any new games for a few months, you have saved enough for a wheel.

Bottom line, the closer a game is to a sim, well, real cars cannot be controlled by little tiny sticks. Never have, never will (not without massive fly-by-wire software that basically drives the car for you, which isn't sim, it's sci-fi!).

Buy a piggy bank, skip any new games for a few months. Voilà! New wheel.
    PS4Pro T150. 55" 4K TV. Playseat Challenge.
    The following user likes this Post: TorTorden

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    So played yesterday after my post to see what kinda vibration the xbox one controller has, and there is no trigger feedback like what you find in Forza 6. You got vibration for locking brakes, rumble strips, shifting, off-track and other details like the drainage in some pits, I believe it was Lemans. Not too sure if there was a under steer/over steer vibration, maybe it was the car I was using didn't feel like there was any. I guess visually you can tell when your under or over steering. Trigger vibration would definitely give more information if it was implemented. Forza 6 slip trigger feedback when loosing traction is pretty neat feature.

The next best sim for controller vibration is AC. If you compare it to PC2 vibration, AC is like a ghost town. Like you almost don't feel anything until your messing up ie. locking brakes or under/over steering. It's not bad by any means, it's just less active. I think some players would prefer that.
    I5 6600k @ 3.5/RX 480 8gb @ 1288/8gb 2133 ram/Hybrid 2TB HDD/Oculus Rift CV1/Proscan 4K tv @ 60hz/inactivated windows 10.
    The following user likes this Post: APR193

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by simsimsheree View Post
    Let's talk about a wheel again a minute... Yes, it's seems like a chunk of money to put into a peripheral. But think of it this way. Look around for a discount, a T150 can be well under $200. Seems like a lot of money?

It's about what three or four full price games cost! You got three or four games? You have already spent that much... Probably way more.

Stick to one racing game, cut out any new games for a few months, you have saved enough for a wheel.

Bottom line, the closer a game is to a sim, well, real cars cannot be controlled by little tiny sticks. Never have, never will (not without massive fly-by-wire software that basically drives the car for you, which isn't sim, it's sci-fi!).

Buy a piggy bank, skip any new games for a few months. Voilà! New wheel.
    Feel free to stop assuming the only reason for not having a wheel is money.

I could go and buy a decent FFB setup tomorrow, the problem is for most of the year it would sit at home gathering dust while I'm out either working or going to race meetings. For the amount of use it would get, it's not worth getting one. So instead, I play and thoroughly enjoy the game with a pad, while fully aware that a wheel would be better.

Oh, and about "real cars cannot be controlled by little tiny sticks".

System: Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz | 16GB RAM | GTX1070 (laptop) 8GB | 250GB M.2 + 960GB SSD + 2TB HDD| Win10 Home 64bit | Xbox 360 Controller | Oculus Rift CV1
    The following 5 users likes this Post: APR193, joelsantos24, Mad Al, OddTimer, Zaskarspants

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I'm also in the boat of having no interest in owning a wheel, even if cost is taken out of the equation. I rarely buy games when new (as most are tailored towards online multiplayer which I have 0 interest in, so for me they are pretty short games and therefore not worth the £40+), so that £200 could get me 10-20 good games that are either a few years old or/and on sale. I'd take all those games to play over having a better experience with the one game I'd use a wheel for a few times a month. Also, while I don't read them as I have no need to or nothing to input, there always seems to be (for every game) a lot more discussion/threads/queries/help wanted posts about FFB settings than there ever is about controller settings, the way some (no-one on here/in particular) go on it seems like more hassle than its worth. Then there is the factor of making space for it. All in all that's not worth it for one game in my opinion.

Project Cars 2 works great with a controller, and while it would be fantastic to have the amount of vibration detail the Forza games have, it works perfectly fine as it is.
    Last edited by APR193; 18-05-2018 at 11:44.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: gregc, Malcstar

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, I have a TX currently in another location just need to reconfigure my desk to accommodate it. Been playing pc2 exclusively on a controller and find it very comfortable. More so even after SMS put in the opposite steering feature. Makes it feel like I have force feedback. I'm just so relaxed when racing.
    I5 6600k @ 3.5/RX 480 8gb @ 1288/8gb 2133 ram/Hybrid 2TB HDD/Oculus Rift CV1/Proscan 4K tv @ 60hz/inactivated windows 10.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gregc View Post
    Feel free to stop assuming the only reason for not having a wheel is money.

I could go and buy a decent FFB setup tomorrow, the problem is for most of the year it would sit at home gathering dust while I'm out either working or going to race meetings. For the amount of use it would get, it's not worth getting one. So instead, I play and thoroughly enjoy the game with a pad, while fully aware that a wheel would be better.

Oh, and about "real cars cannot be controlled by little tiny sticks".
    Just get used to those patronising comments about "you should buy a wheel". It goes forever around here, so it's pointless to counter-argue.

That being said, and about your point regarding money, just to offer some background, the minimum wage here in Portugal, is just over 500€, these days. When the PS4 was released, it was just a bit over 400€ (the price of the PS4). You simply can't find an acceptable wheel bellow 200-300€, in my country. I assume it's the same in many other countries. That's the reason so many players don't even think about getting one, since it costs nearly as much as a console. Additionally, console players don't just play one game, particularly a racing game. So, getting an extremely expensive and overpriced peripheral, just to play one single game, is not only impractical but it's also irrational.

In my humble opinion, Project CARS shouldn't even be sold on console. It's that simple. First, it clearly wasn't designed for console. Second, and also subsequently, it's incredibly elitistic, since it's clearly aimed at a very specific type of player and context. For example, last weekend at the Nürburgring, we had many young kids participating in the first round of the GT Sport World Tour, as well as teenagers, young and older men. You see players from very diverse age extracts, playing that game, because it's extremely accessible to all players who may want to play, be it with a controller or with a wheel. It's not the case with Project CARS, quite the opposite, actually.
    Last edited by joelsantos24; 20-05-2018 at 10:53.