Thread: Problems Due to Multiplayer Issues or an Xbox One Limitation?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X

Problems Due to Multiplayer Issues or an Xbox One Limitation?

Firstly I would like to point out that I really do love this game and when it works it’s second to none and so much entertainment. But when it doesn’t it’s so frustrating and has you pulling your hair out in frustration especially when trying to do anything organised online.

As the title says.. are these problems simply due to the limitations of the original Xbox One as opposed to the One X or is it more or equally to do with the fact that there are still problems with the multiplayer side of the game? Is there anything in further patches that might alleviate some of these issues for us original One owners.

A group of us have been trying to enjoy a Vintage F1 Series over the past few weeks (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...d-Championship) and after a successful first few races where there were no problems at all things have really gone tit’s up in the races since when a few more people have joined the party.

All but one of us are on the original Xbox One and we are the ones that have been suffering while the One X owner seems to have been unaffected. Here is a little breakdown of what happened last night.

Car: Lotus 49
    Track: Nordschliefe Combined (is this track too much for the older Xbox when combined with weather and/or when racing online)
    Drivers: 5 (1 4 America/Canada)
    AI:None (we decided to drop these as it was unsure how many might be workable. I had tested earlier in the day with 10 and the car was doing many of the weird things I later experienced in the quali and race session. I reduced to 6 and all was fine).
    Weather: Quali – Overcast Race – Light Rain/Overcast

And now the gory details:-

In both the quali and race there were some very strange and unexplainable spins which seemed to occur for no apparent reason. The lightest of applications of throttle or brake and often while just going in a straight line the car would do something unexpected and you would lose control as it lurched towards a barrier or went into a spin. Some of these would then be followed by an odd floating / sliding motion with the car heading slowly and uncontrollably towards the barriers as though on a sheet of ice and ending up with damage. I think this happened to me more than anyone and in an earlier online practice with one other person I didn't get beyond the first sector once in 40 minutes of trying.

Several times the unexpected spins would also be preceded by a slight bump as though you had gone over a piece of debris or something on the track or that someone had driven into the back of you. Others also experienced this too so I was not alone. What was even odder with those incidents was that it resulted in the wheels weight\FFB changing

In last nights qualifying and race I only on one occasion made it past sector 1 without incident and then I had something happen going through Adenauer-Forst instead.

The weirdest glitch was after going through Schumacher S where my car again had one of it's glitchy moments and then whilst trying to get the car back facing the right direction so I could get on my way again it started spinning around on it's axis and then just took off to the left and slid\floated into the barriers on that side of the track

Also, I think it was when we reformed for the second lobby that I found my wheel's weight was suddenly massively heavy and I felt like I would end up with Popeye arms if I did a lap with it like that. I understand from the party chat that another also found the same thing happen to his wheel (i'm on a TX and him a TMX). I reduced the wheel weight from 50 to 35 and that felt better and more like it had been before.

I gave up and sat in the garage for the last 5 minutes of the quali session as I was just getting nowhere at all and had no chance to set a timed lap.

Once we got onto the grid for the start of the race yet another problem... this time no FFB at all!! Talk about everything going wrong lol. I decided to just carry on and had a bit of early fun following behind one driver until he had a spin and collected me as his car bounced back on the track which resulted in him losing a wheel and me picking up 89% right-front suspension damage. Having stayed up so late I was determined to get back to the pits, reset my wheel and at least try for one clean lap before I hit the sack. Finally managed it and was surprisingly only a couple of minutes adrift of the driver ahead when I started out again. All was going well and I was on what felt like a decent lap until going through Adenauer-Forst again where the car suddenly veered left and smashed me into the barrier causing severe damage on three corners. After a short while trying to see if it would be possible to get around again I had to call it quits or else risking not getting to bed at all!!

What a cluster %@#$

It seems that the physics of the game just deteriorate hugely whenever strain is put on the system whether that be because of too many AI, weather effects, track configuration or multiplayer issues.
    Last edited by Hammerpgh; 17-05-2018 at 20:33.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Nordschleife Combined on the OXBox1 -

Use only one weather slot and make it sunny.
    Do not use dynamic time. Set time advance to 0X or "off"
    I also recommend turning off rules. It's another calculation that your processor is required to do.
    Do not use damage.
    Do not use fuel or tire wear.

I noticed that the GP part of the track runs fine. It's the other part that's a mess on the OXB1. But if you do these things, your frame rate should improve.

However, IIRC there was an XBL update recently. Every XBL update uses more space and processing.

You should have no frame rate drops.
    The following user likes this Post: ShneebnaMRR108

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Conversely to your experience I found the GP section a nightmare. I struggled to get through there in one piece and it's where the weirdest glitch occurred.

Thanks for your suggestions but removing those things would really make the racing so much less appealing and would be a massive compromise that should never be required. I'll do some further testing on other tracks to see if the problems are replicated there too.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerpgh View Post
    Conversely to your experience I found the GP section a nightmare. I struggled to get through there in one piece and it's where the weirdest glitch occurred.

Thanks for your suggestions but removing those things would really make the racing so much less appealing and would be a massive compromise that should never be required. I'll do some further testing on other tracks to see if the problems are replicated there too.
    Tyre wear could be turned off.....those vintage tyres last forever anyway.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Hammerpgh, ShneebnaMRR108

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by niblips View Post
    Tyre wear could be turned off.....those vintage tyres last forever anyway.
    Yeah good point actually. I wonder how much that takes out of the system. Definitely worth trying

Platform
    XBOX1
    I also recommend turning off rules. It's another calculation that your processor is required to do.
    Do not use damage.

That's good advice to get us racing, but these limitations are not what we bought into. I understand that there will always be some "bugs", but these are game features that are less than useful when used with hardware that was offered at time of purchase. It is what it is, and probably won't change much, but in my opinion it's a product that does not live up to its marketed info. I don't blame the maker, I blame the Quality Assurance. It's the job of QA to report to the management that there may be issues that would present concerns to the customer about the expected outcome of their purchase. But in an industry that doesn't seem to have any regulations, informing management about a major issues probably would just get you fired.

But, in the end it's buyer beware, and that's the end of the story.
    Shneeb108 / XBoxOne / us / EST

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneebnaMRR108 View Post
    Do not use damage.

That's good advice to get us racing, but these limitations are not what we bought into. I understand that there will always be some "bugs", but these are game features that are less than useful when used with hardware that was offered at time of purchase. It is what it is, and probably won't change much, but in my opinion it's a product that does not live up to its marketed info. I don't blame the maker, I blame the Quality Assurance. It's the job of QA to report to the management that there may be issues that would present concerns to the customer about the expected outcome of their purchase. But in an industry that doesn't seem to have any regulations, informing management about a major issues probably would just get you fired.

But, in the end it's buyer beware, and that's the end of the story.
    However, this stuff all worked up to Patch 3 on the OXBox1 until Microsoft did the November update. That was when stuff started going downhill. This was even with the tire overheating problems. Yes the tires looked like they overheated if you had more than 16 cars in the field but you could pretty much ignore them and the cars still handled decently if you had a good setup. SMS fixed that in Patch 3. It was glorious for a week. Then MS did their November update and everything went to ****. Finally in Jan I bought the 1X and the game was glorious again. Patch 4 came out and it was still good. Patch 5 came out and the tires behaved differently - the snap oversteer was back, and hard slicks became useless except in individual events.

Try turning things off like dirt on the camera lens, or dirt on the windshield or whatever. Turn off some of the visual effects like sun rays. And maybe you can use some of the other features again.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Hammerpgh, Just Another Frog, niblips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by julia-6 View Post
    However, this stuff all worked up to Patch 3 on the OXBox1 until Microsoft did the November update. That was when stuff started going downhill. This was even with the tire overheating problems. Yes the tires looked like they overheated if you had more than 16 cars in the field but you could pretty much ignore them and the cars still handled decently if you had a good setup. SMS fixed that in Patch 3. It was glorious for a week. Then MS did their November update and everything went to ****. Finally in Jan I bought the 1X and the game was glorious again. Patch 4 came out and it was still good. Patch 5 came out and the tires behaved differently - the snap oversteer was back, and hard slicks became useless except in individual events.

Try turning things off like dirt on the camera lens, or dirt on the windshield or whatever. Turn off some of the visual effects like sun rays. And maybe you can use some of the other features again.
    This is purely a humble opinion, but if there are system limitations, maybe the game would be designed around them.

If you need a 1x to play in 16 player lobbies, then you should only be able to join/host if you meet the system requirements. If you can't play the career without the 1x, you should be able to adjust the a.i. count so you can. Such a bummer. I have a lot of console friends.
    The following user likes this Post: Hammerpgh

Superkart Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by julia-6 View Post

Things started to go a bit pear shaped for me when the anti-lock assist was added in for controller users like myself. Having the setting enabled was awful enough but when it was disabled i don't know, it just felt completely different to how it handled prior to the inclusion of this assist. I really don't know what SMS have done to the handling physics since launch but one thing I have noticed is that the once absolutely fantastic controller experience has now deteriorated into a pretty dire state of affairs. So much so that i've had to return to PC1 (incidentally, on saturday night there were more people playing PC1 (36) than there were playing PC2 (31) and joy of joys a FC lobby with a double figure population) for my semi-serious racing fix. Sure, it does look kind of dated when placed alongside PC2 but but the important thing is that, even with the 40 car grids, everything runs silky smooth on X1X with zero framerate drops and super-consistent handling. And of course the FC car sounds awesome.

Until SMS decide exactly where they are going with PC2 I personally think it's best to just put the game down for a few months and let things sort themselves out. There's no point spoiling the game by attempting to play it whilst it's still going through its many transitions, plus when it is good and ready to be played it'll be like having a brand new game with a brand new novelty period

I'm off now. PC1 til June, The Crew 2 for the rest of the year and maybe PC2 in early 2019. In the meantime good luck with all those FFB, handling, steering, CTD, lobby crash, career save, tyre wear, framerate drop and other misc issues.... Hopefully all fixed by the time The Crew 2 has lost it's momentum..

Q:Why did the XB1 gamer cross the road?
    A:To render the graphics on the other side.
    Boris The Frog
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Hammerpgh, niblips