Thread: Let's talk sidelook...

Banned
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

Question Let's talk sidelook...

Two major issues ruin PC2's sidelook, IMHO.

First is the animated 'look'. Maybe it's just me (it isn't, I've read enough people saying the same!) but the animated sidelook is very hard to distinguish from car movement, as the whole FoV slews round, and I have the hardest time not responding with the wheel to the impression I just went sideways!

Other games don't animate the sidelook, it's an instantaneous screen change, and there's no sideways motion to unconsciously react to. I never have an issue with feeling car motion with that system. Plus, you have to conjecture, it takes more CPU to animate it than a simple flick. Something pretty precious in the console world!

Perhaps SMS could add an option to defeat this animation?

Secondly, and more important in close side by side racing is, at correct FoV settings in views other than chase cam there is still a pretty big blind spot between rear look (BTW, that doesn't animate turning your head around, if you want an excuse to allow a 'flick' sidelook!) and sidelook. So, without your spotter or the wider FoV non-cockpit mirror, it is still possible to make a move into a car with a slight overlap with no warning at all. Even with the 'radar' on, it can be close enough to be a danger but not come up on the radar...

An option to set the amount of sidelook angle might go a long way to helping things like oval racing or racing in general. In fact, addressing BOTH issues might help a lot of people avoid coming down on cars they have no way of telling are there until it's too late. With PC2's extremely unforgiving collision physics, it would help us race better, IMHO.

How do the rest of you feel about the current sidelook implementation? In need of improvement..?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I've always liked it...

except from the helmet camera, when it turns as the pace of mollasses. Way too slow. But from every other view, the pace in which it turns is great.

In fact, I prefer it to how other games do it, like iRacing, which is instant. AC does give you the option to change the speed of it. But I like the way pCARS does it - the pefect in-between. Sounds like you just have to get used to it.

A downside to doing it the way you'd prefer (the instant iRacing look) is that, I would think, it might disorient some people. By having it animate a wee bit, it's easier to keep your bearings, imo.
    The following user likes this Post: kingsti

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by simsimsheree View Post
    Secondly, and more important in close side by side racing is, at correct FoV settings in views other than chase cam there is still a pretty big blind spot between rear look (BTW, that doesn't animate turning your head around, if you want an excuse to allow a 'flick' sidelook!) and sidelook. So, without your spotter or the wider FoV non-cockpit mirror, it is still possible to make a move into a car with a slight overlap with no warning at all. Even with the 'radar' on, it can be close enough to be a danger but not come up on the radar...

I guess this could be considered as simulating the blind spot that exists in real life :P
    Mind you, the mirror FOV really doesn't help sometimes, I wish I could adjust that.
    RWB Racing International
    Platform: PC Hardware: Fanatec CSWv2.5 & CSv3 pedals, Rift CV1 or 4K XB321HK screen. i7 6700k, 32gb Ram, 1080ti, Samsung 850 SSD, Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system, ButtKicker Gamer 2 & SimVibe
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

GT4 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I still always get a slight shock when i use the look left-right buttons! Only thing that I have noticed helps me a bit, is to also physically turn my head left a bit the moment I look left, this makes it feel a little more natural. Maybe an insta-look could be accepted more easily by the brain, Grid Autosport has it this way, but it also feels very unnatural.

I think the only solution really is to wait till VR becomes affordable and with better quality and we all use that instead of our stupid monitors

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    yeah I find it disorientating too, and I play in 3D (not VR). I would prefer just straight flip (like rear view), to be honest I don't even use it - I just rely on the great Crew Chief app to keep me informed. "3 wide, you're in the middle"
    The following user likes this Post: pferreirag60

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Yeah, if we could adjust the side look angle and the speed it would help a lot (at least I would be very happy). The speed of side looking with the helmet cam is so slow that sometimes it gets me dizzy.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Defo straight to side view is much better than currently.
    A TV, Wheel, Pedals & Game.