Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel vs Controller in pCars 2: which is faster?

Platform
    PC

Question Wheel vs Controller in pCars 2: which is faster?

Thought I try this out, so here is a vid where I compare the lap times with a 360 controller and my T300 at Ruapuna Park in the BMW 2002:

Platform
    PC
    Personally I think that both have the potential to be equally quick but I believe if you are competant with a wheel it is easier to be consistently quick, drive more precisely, and make better coreections than when playing with a controller

I reckon most novices will be quicker with a controller, and at the end of the day your speed is probably more dependant on your experience with your prefered device
    Car Photos Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...rs-you-spotted
    Tank Thread- http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nk-s-Tank-talk
    Xbox Gamertag: tankbuster621
    Steam: Tank621
    The following 3 users likes this Post: foxymop, hkraft300, R-VR Closet

Superkart Pilot
    I went from a controller to a t300 and then back to the controller again.
    What I felt with the wheel was that you can like it was said above, control the car with more precision and more consistent.
    Also I felt I could save the car in situations that with the controller it's impossible.
    The following user likes this Post: R-VR Closet

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank621 View Post
    Personally I think that both have the potential to be equally quick but I believe if you are competant with a wheel it is easier to be consistently quick, drive more precisely, and make better coreections than when playing with a controller

I reckon most novices will be quicker with a controller, and at the end of the day your speed is probably more dependant on your experience with your prefered device
    You are right that one will be fastest with what is known and what that person are used to, and if they haven't experienced anything else.
    And if the game allow it, you can make your steeringinputs faster with a controller than a wheel.
    But as you said, you will never be able to be as precice and smooth with a controller as with a wheel. And smooth is fast.
    So with practise with both devices, I think most people would end up being faster with a wheel than a controller.
    I consider myselfe a competent pad racer, competed in iRacing with a 360 in my early sim racing days. I might be a bit rusty with a controller, but I picked up on it quite quick.
    I was actualy 1 or 2 seconds faster with a controller when I bought my first wheel, but it took me way less time to match and surpass my pad times, than it had took me to reatch those time with my controller.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I think when it comes to Rally cars and cars that need a lot of counter steer and possibly a handbrake the wheel would be a big advantage

Platform
    PC
    It is more about the immersion than speed. At least for me. Sitting on my back on a couch with a controller is not that immersive imo.
    Steam: Olijke Poffer CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming 11 GB | Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 2550x1440 | Controller:Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite pedals with loadcell brake & TH8A Shifter| Misc: Oculus Rift , Playseat Evolution , Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.
    The following user likes this Post: Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by HUZI View Post
    I think when it comes to Rally cars and cars that need a lot of counter steer and possibly a handbrake the wheel would be a big advantage
    I also did this test with Dirt Rally, and it made most difference in that title over track sims.

Quote Originally Posted by Olijke Poffer View Post
    It is more about the immersion than speed. At least for me. Sitting on my back on a couch with a controller is not that immersive imo.
    That's true!
    And that's where VR makes most sence, even though that VR actually can make you both faster and a safer driver.
    I almost always choose H-pattern cars over paddle / sequential shift cars, not because they are faster, but cause they are more fun to drive.
    ASUS ROG G752VS - i7 6700HQ 16GB Ram / GTX 1070 8GB Vram / Win10 x64 / GT Omega WS - NLR V3 - RS6 - Jetseat kw-908 / Fanatec CSW 2.5 - BMW M3 GT2 - Formula Black / Fanatec CS V3 Pedals / Fanatec CS HB V.1.5 / Fanatec CS Shifter SQ V1.5 / SHH Shifter / TH8A Shifter / G27 Shifter - Button Box / DSD Button Box / BBJ Button Box / Wind simulator / Oculus Rift CV1
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    I consider that (normal) gamepad is generally harder to be fast but it really is possible to be equally fast with both. Until TX3 Rinpoku I'd have been in favor of wheel.

I suggest anyone try to beat his Ferrari 488 GT3 time at Nords:
    http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.c...icle=185812116

Note that the current record holder does not compare because in 2017 Ferrari GT3 was not yet balanced and was faster on straights. I think it is possible to break both the Rinpoku's time and the current record, as they are so very close, but I'm not fast and consistent enough to win or match Rinpoku on every turn of the track. There is couple ones he botched, but the rest is perfect.
    (And yes, I haven't continued if I didn't have chance to make it anymore, so I don't have time with this combination.)

Also years ago there was talk on iRacing forums that Jacques Villeneuve preferred gamepad for his sim racing and they had even tried this:
    "I don't think it would be legal in F1, but when I was at BAR we had a go-kart made like that with some special handles and it actually worked really well. Some more secret work was done on it after that."
    (Original article: https://www.gordonkirby.com/categori..._is_no165.html )
    Intel i7-6900K 3.2@4.4 GHz | Asus X99-A USB3.1 | 32 GB 2400 MHz mem | nVidia Titan X (Pascal) | Soundblaster ZxR | TS-PC Racer wheel | SST Lightning H-shifter | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win10 64bit | Launch parameters: -pthreads 4

Platform
    PS4
    WR TT times are more than possible on gamepad.

For a 3 hour endurance race, wheel > gamepad. For the sake of your knuckles and consistency.
    G29 FFB RAW 70-50-5-10

What tire compound were you using?
    What was your tire pressure?
    What was the track and tire temperatures?
    The following user likes this Post: MrTulip

Platform
    PC
    TX3 Rinpoku has set plenty of TT records with a controller.

https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561198343907329 (sort by relative rank)
    Last edited by VelvetTorpedo; 18-07-2018 at 15:08.
    * HTC VIVE * i5-6600k * ASUS GTX1080 8GB TURBO * Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 * MSI Z170A M5 * Fanatec CSL Elite w/P1 wheel * Fanatec CS Pedals v3 * Fanatec CS Shifter SQ v1.5 * TH8A analog handbrake * Playseat Evolution *
    PC2Tuner is amazing * Panther Racing Division