Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 30-40% weaker performance as pcars1 on nvidia cards!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Garton View Post
    I'm not going to enter into a slanging match, but I'll say two things:

1. I very much enjoy playing pCARS 2 in VR, and it compares excellently to the competition, in both visual quality and performance.

2. Running 2x super sampling is basically pointless with today's headsets; you're just burning frames for no improvement in sharpness. 1.5 is a sensible maximum, and 1.3 a good compromise on many PCs (also, don't forget the use of post-processing sharpening).
    Hey Andy,
    thank you for responding to my tread and i thank the others too. If you like and enjoy pcars2 in VR its nothing wrong with that... and maybe my GPU only a 1080, is to weak for higher resolution in pcars2, but this is not the case in my other VR games.

And i totally disagree with your point 2. OMG you so incredible wrong with with your statement about Super Sampling, "if" we both talking about the same now...

So let me explain first, for me is Pixel Density as Oculus user, and enhancement from Oculus Debug Tool, the key to adjust resolution in VR games.
    So Pixel Density gives stronger resolution gain as Super Sampling (SS) or are you talking about MSAA right, that reduced Aliasing?

1.5 Pixel Density is around 1.8-2.0 SS, and i played Elite Dangerous and Pcars1 with 2.0 Pixel Density in the past and the gap between 1.5 and 2.0 Pixel Density is big, if you and the other people who agree about your statement and dont the see difference, they need glasses for VR and im 100% sure about this. (just a little info: pcars2 in game, dont use SS... it used Pixel Density and this since pcars1!)

You can see the differend right now with good eyes, it added atleast again 15-25% sharpness if you adjust from 1.5 to 2.0.

Everyone who not believe me and who owns Elite Dangerous, you can change Pixel Density in Main Menue and switch between the resolution asap and the difference is there, atleast in my Rift CV1... i cant talk about Vive.

I dont understand this community, the users see a developer and follow him blind... without even thinking about something, is this the nature today?

I have my personal opinion maybe im wrong sometimes but atleast i earned it, because i found it out for myself (im use VR since 2 years now) and i proofed it with my experience... maybe some people here in this community should think about it.

Befor they decide to follow someone... who just got a higher rank.
    Last edited by Koboldx; 06-06-2018 at 17:39.
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4700 MHz |Gigabyte-Z170X-UD3 | 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws 2800MHz | EVGA 1080 SC | 1xSDD Samsung 830 (256 GB) + 1xM.2 Samsung 960 Evo (512GB) + 1xHDD (3TB) | Creative X-Fi Titanium |Denon DD 5.1 Reciever + AKG K612 Pro| Acer Predator GN-246HL (1ms, 144Hz)| Reckhorn A-408 + 2xBass-Shaker + Simvibe | Fanatec CSW 2.5 + Clubsport Pedals V3i | Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch + 3 Sensoren

Head of Development
    Platform
    PC
    If you see a difference, that’s great of course. In my experience most people can’t (and I can’t, and my glasses work!). Be aware though that every small increase in the super sampling number is a massive increase in the number of pixels rendered, and thus GPU cost.

Just out of interest, have you tried playing with the sharpening settings?

(Please also try and keep your posts calm and rational; no reason we can’t have a reasonable discussion about this, but some of your tactics make it difficult. Not everybody has to agree with you, or indeed me.)
    Intel i7 7700K (OC@5Ghz), 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, Acer X34 monitor (3440x1440 at 100hz), Oculus Rift, W10 Pro, DSL 70/20, XBox One Elite controller, Bodnar DD wheel and Heusinkveld pedals
    The following 5 users likes this Post: cluck, Fight-Test, John Hargreaves, Koboldx, Maskmagog

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDad View Post
    How can the "many PC's" use 1.5 SS ? Is that with running Low everything else ?
    My settings, i tweaked day/night:

Virtual Reality:
    ----------------

Super Sampling (Pixel Density): 1.5

Performance:
    ------------

Resolution: 1250x720p (lowest possible res but still read able text,
    its only impact on menue quality but saves fps when driving without quality loss.)

Window: Yes
    Texture Resolution: High
    Texture Filterung: Anisotropic 8x
    V-Sync: No
    MSAA: Medium
    Post AA: OFF
    SS: Off
    Reflection: Low
    Environment Map: Medium
    Car Detail: High
    Track Detail: Medium
    Pit Crew Detail: Player Only
    Shadow Detail: Ultra (low impact on fps, and fixed flickering shadows)
    Enhanced Mirror: No
    Motion Blur: Off
    Render Frames Ahead: 1
    Detailed Grass: Off
    Particle Level: Low
    Particle Density: Low

Visual FX:
    ----------

Post-Processing Filters: Off
    Exterior Sun Flare: Off
    Interior Sun Flare: Off
    Bloom: Off
    Heat Haze: Off
    Exposure Compensation: (default)
    Rain Drops: Yes
    Vignette: No
    Crepuscular Rays: No
    Screen Dirt: No
    Cockpit Mirrors: On

New Filter Distance Tweaks, removes Blur:
    -----------------------
    Open graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml in Documents\Project CARS 2
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="0.720000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.050000" />
    <prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />

Open oculussettings.xml with notepad in Documents\Project CARS 2:
    <prop name="NearZ" data="0.04" />
    <prop name="exposureFOV" data="110" />
    <prop name="EyeOffsetY" data="0.02 />
    <prop name="EyeOffsetZ" data="-0.07" />
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4700 MHz |Gigabyte-Z170X-UD3 | 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws 2800MHz | EVGA 1080 SC | 1xSDD Samsung 830 (256 GB) + 1xM.2 Samsung 960 Evo (512GB) + 1xHDD (3TB) | Creative X-Fi Titanium |Denon DD 5.1 Reciever + AKG K612 Pro| Acer Predator GN-246HL (1ms, 144Hz)| Reckhorn A-408 + 2xBass-Shaker + Simvibe | Fanatec CSW 2.5 + Clubsport Pedals V3i | Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch + 3 Sensoren

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    If you see a difference, thatís great of course. In my experience most people canít (and I canít, and my glasses work!). Be aware though that every small increase in the super sampling number is a massive increase in the number of pixels rendered, and thus GPU cost.
    Yeah, im a PC nerd since 1993 and i like to collect all PC related interesting infos, how something works to understand it, to tweak/improve it... im also aware the sweetspott is around 1.5 Pixel Density and after that, the picture is getting aliasing and we have to compensate this with AA filters. But i find the sharpening for my eyes only good with 1.7-1.8 Pixel Density, in this range my eyes got the sharpness (even in VR Gen1.) that i really like.

Also interesting to know that we got more Green Pixels in VR with Oled and to see green objects or green HUD, like tweaking HUD in Elite Dangerous... gives alot more sharpness. Or looking at green varnish cars, i cant wait for next gen VR.

Just out of interest, have you tried playing with the sharpening settings?

(Please also try and keep your posts calm and rational; no reason we canít have a reasonable discussion about this, but some of your tactics make it difficult. Not everybody has to agree with you, or indeed me.)
    Yeah i played with the settings and i posted all my settings, i find it strange that pcars1 looks like it has this filters since day 1 for VR. Because it looks out of the box so much nicer without adjusting anything i dont understand why it took this long for pcars2.

Anyways im happy that you guys added the filters and even if i dont like the weak performance, i like pcars2 in VR... i just wish i got atleast the next GPU Gen, for more Pixel Density... and this makes me sad, because of the blurriness i see with only 1.5 PD

And i try to keep my posts calm and rational in future... thanks for response.
    Last edited by Koboldx; 06-06-2018 at 18:12.
    The following user likes this Post: Andy Garton

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by pferreirag60 View Post
    you can almost see individual pixels, thats my experience with a Vivo headset
    What do you mean with "you can almost see individual pixels", I constantly focus my eyes and see the dots on the display, are you using glasses?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Koboldx View Post
    1.5 Pixel Density is around 1.8-2.0 SS
    1.1 = 1.21
    1.2 = 1.44
    1.3 = 1.69
    1.4 = 1.96
    1.5 = 2.25
    1.6 = 2.56
    1.7 = 2.89
    1.8 = 3.24
    1.9 = 3.61
    2.0 = 4.0

More accurate.
    The following user likes this Post: Koboldx

Head of Development
    Platform
    PC
    Are you talking about SteamVR’s linear super sampling setting, rather than the pCARS2 in-game one?
    Intel i7 7700K (OC@5Ghz), 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB, Acer X34 monitor (3440x1440 at 100hz), Oculus Rift, W10 Pro, DSL 70/20, XBox One Elite controller, Bodnar DD wheel and Heusinkveld pedals

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Are you talking about SteamVRís linear super sampling setting, rather than the pCARS2 in-game one?
    He's talking about the Oculus rifts "SS" which is called PixelDensity which works like the ingame "ResScale" data=" option.

Head of Development
    Platform
    PC
    I still don’t follow - what are the left and right sides of that list exactly?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I still don’t follow - what are the left and right sides of that list exactly?
    Left is the original SS, PD or Rescale if you like and what it currently is for steamvr supersampling. They changed it before it was times width and length each separately, now it just multiplies the resolution.