Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Hard limit on number of saved setups for each car on PS4? If so what is it?

  1. #1
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Daytona
    Posts
    188
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

    Hard limit on number of saved setups for each car on PS4? If so what is it?

    This has now become a fairly serious issue for me as I'm doing career tunes and posting here for all the races in every tier (eventual plan)

    With Formula C I have now reached my coded limit (whatever that is - 52?). I have 4 ALL TRACK setups and 48 more split between 16 or so tracks. 52 total. I usually have 3 optimized setups per track per car, such as optimized qualifying/time trial/race tunes. If I HAD to I could delete all but one of these and guess radiator/fuel levels each time. It would be VERY annoying though.
    Of more importance is the question that has to be answered for all users of the game who like to tune. If there are more tracks than the number of setups allowed (which there are it seems) we therefore cannot save even ONE setup for each car for EVERY track?
    Apart from my particular in depth project needs, someone else quite likely would have a favorite car. They are also most likely to want to do a TT for each track and make at least ONE setup for that track (well over 60 total). With a hard limit of 52 this would be impossible. As these are only tiny text files why the limit? I understand Sony and their precious rule limits but are these saved as separate files? Why not one database for each car with enough fields for every track already created so the user only then fills in the empty blanks when saving. Of course this would mean setting a limit of 1-x number of setups for each car depending on the number of fields allocated. Either way at least ONE setup would be available to save for each car for every track. Plus the database would never grow in size and therefore ever go over a limit.

    My research into this question found the following three threads:

    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...d-on-some-cars

    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...-save-my-setup

    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ince-patch-4-0

    None of these finished with a definitive answer from the devs. Just guesswork from users.
    The quite lazy (sorry) answer at one point was "oh you can solve this by deleting old setups". I'm not talking about 2000 excess wasted PC setups here. I'm talking 52..

    If I am to continue my career tune marathon knowing the answer to this question would be very important to me. Deleting old setups allows new ones. Is the limit 52? Someone guessed 50 in one of the threads above. This does NOT affect other cars, I can freely create new setups for Formula Renault for example (never driven before).

    Comments and questions welcome but what I really want PLEASE (it should be in the manual for the game) is the EXACT number of saved setups allowed for each car in the game.

    Thanks, as you can see my disappointment on discovering this issue while trying to do a new tune can be seen in my latest career tune post:

    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...=1#post1513687

    Fortunately I only have 2 more Formula C races to do. I can delete old tunes that have both wet and dry setups posted for example. But I never EVER want to delete one of my precious hard earned tunes (6 hours of work quite often) if it means deleting one track tune to start another. Please nobody suggest I can read my OWN tunes here and copy them back in.....I still have to be able to save it! Plus that's dang cheeky..and taking the you know what!

    Looking forward to some (well at least ONE), illuminating answers from either a dev here or someone in contact with one. A definite answer is required. Thanks!!
    The following 2 users likes this Post: davidt33, Maskmagog


  2. #2
    Superkart Pilot davidt33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Trinidad, W.I.
    Posts
    766
    Platform
    PS4
    That's real mess up considering we have to save tunes for cars per respective tracks along the way. Peeping also for an answer on this.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following user likes this Post: sloppysmusic


  3. #3
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Daytona
    Posts
    188
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by davidt33 View Post
    That's real mess up considering we have to save tunes for cars per respective tracks along the way. Peeping also for an answer on this.
    It potentially gets much MUCH worse. Having not even finished Tier 4 yet after doing tiers 5 and 6 and a few extra events (all my tunes here basically) I now am getting the following message EVERY time I try to ADD or EDIT ANY setup on any car.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Project CARS 2_20180611215357.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	255990

    I get this message EVERY time I save a setup for a car I have not used before. Edit or save new. If I HAVE used the car before and already have setups it lets me create and edit new ones with NO ERROR MESSAGE.
    You can see the setups in the LOAD SETUP screen and you can switch between them but when you quit session and reload track/car combo ALL the setups are gone!
    Any NEW car I haven't raced yet for every creation and edit displays the above message. Whether you press YES or NO the result is the same. The setup IS saved and edited ONLY temporarily but all changes/creations are LOST as soon as you quit the session.
    Sooooo it's more than just extremely annoying having this message EVERY NEW TUNE I create and edit as Ive only used about 20 cars or so max I think for EVERY new car I try out. This is game breaking/ending for me!
    This IS a serious problem now for me as I can ONLY create setups for a few cars AND a few tracks in total and cannot even continue my career/invite and manufacturer tune threads!!! There are hard limits to the number AND storage size limiting seriously the number of tunes for all cars and tracks to around the 150 figure (very approx guess).
    Will try deleting replays see if that affects the 1GB error limit.
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 12-06-2018 at 02:27. Reason: PROBLEM MUCH WORSE THAN REPORTED

  4. #4
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Daytona
    Posts
    188
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I have gone into the PS4 saved data folder - 880MB approx used (close to 1GB)
    Noted setups are 3.15MB in size
    Ghost replays are 4.20MB
    To test if there is a hard limit on number of setups I have deleted 10xghosts=42MB freed space.
    NO replays are saved BTW.
    Will now attempt to create a new setup for a new car (my original plan was for event for Nissan on Cali Highway stage 1.
    This task has been delayed by the game hanging when I try to load setup in TT so am rebooting and trying the actual event (which has worked before for similar crashes)
    Will edit this post if my ghost deletions have made room for 42MB/3.15MB new setups....

    EDIT:
    deleting ghost replays allows me to create new setups. I have created 3 so far for the Nissan. So this indicates there IS a hard limit for number of setups saved AND a TOTAL saved data size of 1GB in the storage folder.
    I dont save replays and dont care about ghosts so HOPE that deleting all the ghosts will allow me a few more saved setups.
    This DOES either way mean that at 3.15MB a save AND career data saves of about 4MB (cant remember at the moment) the maximum number of setups allowed TOTAL for ALL cars and tracks is approximately
    870MB/3.15.
    Let's call it 250 as a rough figure.
    So if you drive every track with a car you can only save data for about 4 cars?
    Or if you load every car you can only save setups for approx 4 tracks. (assuming 60 cars/60 tracks i know it's way more!)

    This makes the PS4 version a VERY limited tool for the racer wishing to explore the game and change anything like fuel or tires compared to the PC version which I presume has no limits if you have enough storage space?
    It looks like my career setup thread on here is now dead in the water unless I switch to the PC....very disappointed as I'm only 1/3 way through all career events and 1/10th through the extra events. No point in buying any DLC as I can't
    use the new tracks or cars!!
    Or
    The following user likes this Post: Demon340


  5. #5
    Superkart Pilot davidt33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Trinidad, W.I.
    Posts
    766
    Platform
    PS4
    That's a pity Sloppy....and pretty scary too. Could you bring it to Asturbo's attention for him to highlight it and see if you can get any response from the developers?
    Can't remember if you did so already but if not it's worth a shot. And even if done so already would be worth bringing up again.
    PS4. Logitech G29 wheel. PSN ID: davidtsmith333
    The following user likes this Post: Demon340


  6. #6
    GT4 Pilot blinkngone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    2,605
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppysmusic View Post
    I have gone into the PS4 saved data folder - 880MB approx used (close to 1GB)
    Noted setups are 3.15MB in size
    Ghost replays are 4.20MB
    To test if there is a hard limit on number of setups I have deleted 10xghosts=42MB freed space.
    NO replays are saved BTW.
    Will now attempt to create a new setup for a new car (my original plan was for event for Nissan on Cali Highway stage 1.
    This task has been delayed by the game hanging when I try to load setup in TT so am rebooting and trying the actual event (which has worked before for similar crashes)
    Will edit this post if my ghost deletions have made room for 42MB/3.15MB new setups....

    EDIT:
    deleting ghost replays allows me to create new setups. I have created 3 so far for the Nissan. So this indicates there IS a hard limit for number of setups saved AND a TOTAL saved data size of 1GB in the storage folder.
    I dont save replays and dont care about ghosts so HOPE that deleting all the ghosts will allow me a few more saved setups.
    This DOES either way mean that at 3.15MB a save AND career data saves of about 4MB (cant remember at the moment) the maximum number of setups allowed TOTAL for ALL cars and tracks is approximately
    870MB/3.15.
    Let's call it 250 as a rough figure.
    So if you drive every track with a car you can only save data for about 4 cars?
    Or if you load every car you can only save setups for approx 4 tracks. (assuming 60 cars/60 tracks i know it's way more!)

    This makes the PS4 version a VERY limited tool for the racer wishing to explore the game and change anything like fuel or tires compared to the PC version which I presume has no limits if you have enough storage space?
    It looks like my career setup thread on here is now dead in the water unless I switch to the PC....very disappointed as I'm only 1/3 way through all career events and 1/10th through the extra events. No point in buying any DLC as I can't
    use the new tracks or cars!!
    Or
    Wow, this is terrible for you. If you could somehow get to your Ghost for a certain car/track in TT you could then delete those setups, then your setup could always be accessed through your Ghost tune, at least that is possible on PC. This would get you some more tunes maybe. The setups you have previously posted in your thread can also be deleted to give you more space for new tunes, PITA but it seems you are stuck.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

  7. #7
    Moderator Sankyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,237
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppysmusic View Post
    Noted setups are 3.15MB in size
    Are you really sure they're 3.15 MB, not ~3 kB? (3.15 kB is not possible of course, just wondering if you really noted the size of a set-up file and not of some other file.)

    EDIT Never mind, got it confirmed already.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

    With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.
    The following user likes this Post: sloppysmusic


  8. #8
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Daytona
    Posts
    188
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    Are you really sure they're 3.15 MB, not ~3 kB? (3.15 kB is not possible of course, just wondering if you really noted the size of a set-up file and not of some other file.)

    EDIT Never mind, got it confirmed already.
    Yes you are right, unbelievably they are 3.15 MB in size! All info that could sit in a 1k test file very easily, or have placeholders in a larger static-sized database file.

    I reckon the database file would be best. You don't want thousands of text files floating around on the PS4 hard drive. That's just as bad and like PC land!

    You NEED a minimum of 3 tunes per car per track. ONE for the Time Trial/Qualifying, ONE for the RACE and ONE for making changes (TEST).

    So each car could have ONE database tune file allocated. 255 Main storage areas (for each track) and say 4 divisions (bits!) for each tune. 4 for the different tunes and space for text notes.

    You could THEN logically combine all the cars and their tunes into ONE single DB file. 255 cars/255 tracks/8 setups. That fits computer storage neatly and the file would never change size so would never ever cause the PS4/Sony a problem! I could never need more than 255 cars or tracks in this game either...
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 13-06-2018 at 16:53.

  9. #9
    Moderator Sankyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,237
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppysmusic View Post
    Yes you are right, unbelievably they are 3.15 MB in size! All info that could sit in a 1k test file very easily, or have placeholders in a larger static-sized database file.

    I reckon the database file would be best. You don't want thousands of text files floating around on the PS4 hard drive. That's just as bad and like PC land!

    You NEED a minimum of 3 tunes per car per track. ONE for the Time Trial/Qualifying, ONE for the RACE and ONE for making changes (TEST).

    So each car could have ONE database tune file allocated. 255 Main storage areas (for each track) and say 4 divisions (bits!) for each tune. 4 for the different tunes and space for text notes.

    You could THEN logically combine all the cars and their tunes into ONE single DB file. 255 cars/255 tracks/8 setups. That fits computer storage neatly and the file would never change size so would never ever cause the PS4/Sony a problem! I could never need more than 255 cars or tracks in this game either...
    I've taken this up with SMS and they were testing this after my inquiry, I'll see if they can make a statement about this soon but no guarantees.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

    With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    Don't take life too seriously. No-one gets out alive anyway.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Maskmagog, sloppysmusic


  10. #10
    Superkart Pilot
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    South Daytona
    Posts
    188
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    I've taken this up with SMS and they were testing this after my inquiry, I'll see if they can make a statement about this soon but no guarantees.

    Thanks man, the game is good enough to be a keeper and playable for years. This issue punishes those who love the game and want to explore its strengths: the cars, the tracks and the realistic tuning. Or anyone who ever saves a tune to a new slot, or a replay, or uses time trial will run out of space before long anyway.

    The replay is the real killer. Anyone who saves 5 replays will fill that storage slot and prevent ghosts and setups from being saved. That was my first error message a month ago. I had had the cannot save replay message as 1GB max reached, but then I was getting cannot save ghost message every time trial. Which didn't make sense. I wasn't doing tunes every race back then either.
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 13-06-2018 at 21:24.

Similar Threads

  1. Any way to limit AI car number in career races?
    By Maelstrom2000 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-04-2018, 20:58
  2. Saved setups
    By BreadedVirus in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-10-2017, 20:51
  3. USB Keypad Hard-Mapping Arrow/Number Keys to Look Function?
    By Slimklim in forum PS4 - Technical Help & Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-05-2016, 14:37
  4. Saved car setups
    By RPM10000 in forum PC - Technical Help & Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-05-2016, 08:38
  5. Let us limit the number of Ai opponents and allow us to set weather in a career race
    By X Gabe 62 X in forum PC - Technical Help & Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 18:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •