Page 2 of 119 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1183

Thread: Fanatec Podium Series

  1. #11
    GT3 Pilot morpwr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    4,955
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan van Beilen View Post
    I can understand you holding back because of your support experience. Mine has never been bad but I hear it differs from person to person.

    About compatibility though. I think AJ will get us sorted quickly on this one, maybe even hotfix patch this one in. Otherwise grabbing the Fanatec CSW V2.5 profile won't be a bad decision as it doesn't have any extra tinkering done to it I believe, plus you might need a custom RAW file with no wheel specific additives enabled.
    SMS has always been quick on bringing compatibility to their games at least.

    In any case, waiting never hurt anyone.

    Custom for sure but I don't think you will need to change much. Just no deadzone removal and probably have to turn the in game gain waaaaaaay down. My original volume,tone and fx are still pretty close to what I used before.
    MOBO: asus rog maximus x hero / CPU: intel i7 8700k 5.1ghz / RAM:corsair platinum 32GB DDR4 3866-ocd4000 / COOLING: thermaltake floe 360 / GPU: asus GeForce RTX2080ti oc / PSU: evga super nova 850g2 / STORAGE: Samsung evo 500gb- Samsung evo 1tb / CASE: thermaltake core x71 / RIG:Gt omega /SimRacing Bay 30nm OSW / Heusinkveld pro pedals / Fanatec shifter /VR:rift / BACKUP: ps4 http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/

  2. #12
    WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    2,837
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by morpwr View Post
    That works great on the osw and yes not running out of range is awesome!!!!!! Crashing hurts though with the wheel set so you can get max force when the game tells it to(like crashing). You learn to let go of the wheel real fast. Youll never go back once you try a dd wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by morpwr View Post
    Custom for sure but I don't think you will need to change much. Just no deadzone removal and probably have to turn the in game gain waaaaaaay down. My original volume,tone and fx are still pretty close to what I used before.
    Crashing would be indeed a hands-off event and one might need to learn to drive 'thumbs out' as well. About going back... if I own something that is better than I'd only go back if it ever breaks down and I need a temporary replacement.

    Sounds like the custom I have will be fine in that case. It hasn't got any deadzones, smoothing or anything really. For most folk it might even be called bland as I don't add FX either as I prefer to just get through the wheel what I should get through the wheel, letting the buttkickers do the rest of the talking if needed. Still... I'm only 1.9 seconds off of Emerson Fittipaldi's '73 Monaco lap time so I can't be lacking that much info but just a better setup and line (been doing some hotlapping tonight and ended up 3rd on the leaderboard).


    As for why I would personally choose a Podium base over an OSW, Sim Steering or AccuForce. Well, I am heavily invested in the Fanatec ecosystem and thus getting the wheels to work out of the box is a plus. Besides... no USB wires that dangle and can get stretched or worse break.

    Oh, and one thing with DD wheels and modern games. The limit in most games is 900 or 1080 degrees, with these direct drive wheels we can finally get original lock-to-lock rotations even if it's for a Bus driving sim (like OMSI 2 or something). Which kinda gets me excited, because you won't have to deal with steering sensitivity issues anymore if a vehicle has beyond 900 or 1080 degrees of lock-to-lock and the game needs to step it down to 900/1080 degrees.
    How quickly games will support this though... it might take a while. Though without the hardware supporting these capabilities the game developers have no need to build in support in the first place.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.03): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

    Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

    Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

  3. #13
    WMD Member Brainbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    81
    Platform
    PC
    I think sms is testing the new stuff from fanatec since some time, at least i hope they do as one important player in audience market. And fanatec started the testing phase since end last year for the DD, so lets hope at least one baby found the way to sms to gets the hand on and bring to life in pcars 2.
    CPU i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz | RAM 16GB | GPU GeForce GTX 980 4GB
    OS Win10 64bit | VR Oculus Rift CV | SCREEN 34" 2560x1080
    WHEEL G27 | RIG obutto r3volution

  4. #14
    WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    2,837
    Platform
    PC
    It was demonstrated to the public for the first time at the sim racing expo with pC2 after all. So no worries from me at least.

    Edit:
    Going through the videos I hear Thomas say they are using an "Outrunner Motor". Which is a certain type of brushless DC motor.

    See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outrunner
    Last edited by Christiaan van Beilen; 01-06-2018 at 01:30.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.03): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

    Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

    Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

  5. #15
    GT4 Pilot Mascot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Wales. Not WELSH Wales, but Wales nevertheless.
    Posts
    2,164
    Platform
    PC
    I'm a little disappointed that after a year of delays all we've got is a vague tease with a date six weeks in the future.
    13th July is what? Specs revealed? Pricing info? Preorders open? Available to buy right away? Project cancelled? Thomas's favourite flavour of ice cream?
    980Ti & i5 6600k, Oculus Rift CV1, Fanatec CSW2.5, Porsche 918 RSR rim, Formula Carbon rim, BMW GT2 rim, CSS v1.5, Clubsport handbrake, CSP v3, Crew Chief through HMD, Sim Lab P1 cockpit, Sparco R333 seat, SFX-100 chassis mover motion platform, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Yamaha 5.1, 50" 4K TV, uncorked bottle of Glenmorangie

  6. #16
    WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    2,837
    Platform
    PC
    Well, apart from the skepticism about what might be announced we could also talk about what the Podium series might bring.


    Here's my guess:

    - DD1: 20 Nm torque & DD2: 30 Nm
    - Wireless communication internally in the wheel, so that all wheels are plug and play (including buttons and displays). With wireless energie being transmitted as well for wheel electronics operation including future fancy displays as seen in F1 rims etc. (like wireless charging your phone or toothbrush)
    - Continues rotation of the wheel without an end-stop or risk of damaging internal or external cables. Also can be read as having endless lock-to-lock configuration possibilities (e.g. you could even properly drive an old-school bus in OMSI 2 with the right lock-to-lock).
    - Monogrome LCD display that can driven like the first Logitech G15 keyboard displays. (e.g. you can have it show anything from laptimes, revs, speed, FFB histogram, date/time or even incoming messages from your phone
    - Podium QR is backwards compatible, but using a wheel with the plastic QR is not recommended beyond a certain torque level. So wheels with metal QR will be strongly advised.
    - The base has new side mounting holes but is still compatible with 3 bottom or 4 mounting holes as with previous wheels. Giving more mounting possibilities as well as backwards compatibility for rigs with older Fanatec style mounting holes
    - At least 12-bit encoder (most likely HALL-effect) but most likely 16-bit or even 24-bit.
    - dedicated USB 3.0 port directly to the motherboard/usb controller will be mandatory due to necessary data bandwidth, so can't be used with a USB 3.0 hub.
    - Big powersupply but most likely a lot smaller than the competition with an entire controller box.
    - Can't bolt on static shifters anymore to the front of the case, nor any dashboards like with the CSW/CSL/CSE Elite wheels. At least I didn't see any holes so far, not even in the latest teaser.
    - Estimate Price ranges: DD1 @ 1000-1200 Euro & DD2: 1500-1800 Euro


    I don't know what other features there might be other than maybe some nice software/firmware ones that you can access via the wheel's menu or driver.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.03): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

    Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

    Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)
    The following user likes this Post: GrimeyDog


  7. #17
    WMD Member RomKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lisbon
    Posts
    2,575
    Platform
    PC
    This thread is expensive... Should not read but damn you Christiaan

    Ps: I'm currently in Bremen if you happen to be close, let me know
    ---
    My feedback is always on default setup unless stated otherwise. Auto-Clutch is OFF
    Still hoping for Estoril one day

    | CPU: i5 8600K@5GHz | GPU: MSI GTX1080 Gaming X 8GB (397.31) (OC: +70/+450) | Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-p
    | RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 GoodRam Iridium 2400Mhz | PSU: Corsair TX850M | OS: Win10 x64 | Sound: Onboard Realtek ACL887 | C:\>: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    [B]| Monitor:[/B] 3x IPS LG23EA63 @5760x1080 (Bezel Corrected) -- HTC VIVE

    | Wheel: CSWv2 + CSPv3(usb) + CSS SQv1.5 - (driver v310 - fw 455) | Damping: 100 | 900
    | In game: Deadzones: 0 |Sensitivity: 50 | Damping: 0
    | Wheel Profile: Sens: Aut | FF: 100 | SHo: 100 | ABS: 0 | Dri: OFF | For: 100 | Spr: 100 | Dpr: 100

    | FFB: RAW|Gain: 100 | Volume: 50 | Tone: 50 | FX: 50 [B]

    | Visual FX: Default except Interion Flare: Off
    | Performance - Aniso: 16x | MSAA: Medium | Vsync: Off | Grass: Low | Envmap/Reflections/Shadows: Low/medium/low | Car/Track: High | Blur: Off
    | E. Mirrors: Yes | Particles: High/High | SS: 1.2 | Sharpening Strength/Clamp: 0.6/0.045
    | Driving assists: ABS/TC, maybe - SC always OFF
    | CmdLine: -ffb600 -skipcrowds

  8. #18
    WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    2,837
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by RomKnight View Post
    This thread is expensive... Should not read but damn you Christiaan

    Ps: I'm currently in Bremen if you happen to be close, let me know
    I am 'only' 185 kilometers to the west of you, or a roughly 2 hour drive, but I think Fanatec's warehouse in Hamburg is closer if you wish to raid that.

    Still, nothing to see in my house apart from a big mess currently. So I also know just as much as any other normal person does... if you were aiming for that with your comment.


    NB. From a good source I got to know that the base can be mounted via the 3 bolt mount pattern as found on the bottom of the CSW base without its angle mount.

    For me this means I might use an angle mount off of one of my three CSW bases, as I don't think I could drill those 3 holes in my plate. The bolts would end up obstructing how the mounting plate of the rSeat Evo is fitted to the rig. The metal used in the angle mount plates of the CSW bases should be strong enough to not flex, but it might require some testing. I rather think my rSeat would flex sooner.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.03): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

    Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

    Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

  9. #19
    GT4 Pilot Mascot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Wales. Not WELSH Wales, but Wales nevertheless.
    Posts
    2,164
    Platform
    PC
    I posted this elsewhere, but the Podium DDW has my attention right now based on a few assumptions. All, none or some of those assumptions might actually turn out to be true.

    I assume the electronics and PSU are built into the motor housing, so there's no need for a big ugly black box like there is with OSW. [edit: it's been confirmed that the power brick is separate, but all other electronics are in the motor housing]
    I assume the motor will be optimised for a DDW, not an industrial-grade overkill motor that I'd use at a fraction of its operating capacity (this has now been confirmed).
    I assume the Podium wheel will draw less power and be cheaper to run because of the reasons above.
    I assume it'll be lighter and sleeker and look more like a dedicated product than an OSW.
    I assume it'll have no coily cables connecting the rim to the wheel base (this has now been confirmed)
    I assume it'll work seamlessly and with full functional compatibility with ALL Fanatec rims (the McLaren rim is giving some OSW owners a few issues right now).
    I assume it will be priced competitively with similarly-spec'd OSW kits (no more than 15% more, anyway).

    I've come close to buying an OSW recently but am cooling my jets to see what Podium will actually offer. If it can give comparable performance to an OSW and be priced in the same ballpark, but bring a whole host of advantages, then it will certainly appeal to me.

    I've got a nasty feeling however that Fanatec will stick a ridiculous price on it and bank on people being willing to pay a large premium for the convenience of having a one-stop shop for a branded product and a sleeker overall package. That would kill it stone dead in the water for me.
    Last edited by Mascot; 04-06-2018 at 14:16.
    980Ti & i5 6600k, Oculus Rift CV1, Fanatec CSW2.5, Porsche 918 RSR rim, Formula Carbon rim, BMW GT2 rim, CSS v1.5, Clubsport handbrake, CSP v3, Crew Chief through HMD, Sim Lab P1 cockpit, Sparco R333 seat, SFX-100 chassis mover motion platform, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Yamaha 5.1, 50" 4K TV, uncorked bottle of Glenmorangie

  10. #20
    Moderator Sankyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,056
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mascot View Post
    I posted this elsewhere, but the Podium DDW has my attention right now based on a few assumptions. All, none or some of those assumptions might actually turn out to be true.

    I assume the electronics and PSU are built into the motor housing, so there's no need for a big ugly black box like there is with OSW. [edit: it's been confirmed that the power brick is separate, but all other electronics are in the motor housing]
    I assume the motor will be optimised for a DDW, not an industrial-grade overkill motor that I'd use at a fraction of its operating capacity (this has now been confirmed).
    I assume the Podium wheel will draw less power and be cheaper to run because of the reasons above.
    I assume it'll be lighter and sleeker and look more like a dedicated product than an OSW.
    I assume it'll have no coily cables connecting the rim to the wheel base (this has now been confirmed)
    I assume it'll work seamlessly and with full functional compatibility with ALL Fanatec rims (the McLaren rim is giving some OSW owners a few issues right now).
    I assume it will be priced competitively with similarly-spec'd OSW kits (no more than 15% more, anyway).

    I've come close to buying an OSW recently but am cooling my jets to see what Podium will actually offer. If it can give comparable performance to an OSW and be priced in the same ballpark, but bring a whole host of advantages, then it will certainly appeal to me.

    I've got a nasty feeling however that Fanatec will stick a ridiculous price on it and bank on people being willing to pay a large premium for the convenience of having a one-stop shop for a branded product and a sleeker overall package. That would kill it stone dead in the water for me.
    Could you define what would be a 'ridiculous price' for you?
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

    With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think

Similar Threads

  1. A podium at Spa in the NSX
    By MrA2theK in forum Screenshots & Videos
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2018, 12:23
  2. possible career series bug; game didn't save completed series
    By ywan18 in forum Technical Help & Support (XBOX1)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-01-2018, 09:22
  3. Career Race Results Bug - Podium PopUp
    By Conath86 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-10-2017, 17:18
  4. 3 Skill Level Series (Series Link inside)
    By STaLLiOnO in forum XB1 - Multiplayer Event Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-05-2016, 21:04
  5. Blue Screen by using Fanatec GT3 RS Wheel & Fanatec Club Sport Pedals on PC
    By deClaude in forum PC - Technical Help & Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-05-2016, 19:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •