Thread: Sunday Drivers ( Mid Level Racing League ) 95% fun, 5% total seriousness...

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4

Sunday Drivers ( Mid Level Racing League ) 95% fun, 5% total seriousness...

So, the league I had been running in on Sundays has closed, as a result of Playstation Network issues and because it was intended as a beginners league and yet lap times were falling down to a point where they were on par with AI driving at 120%. I very much enjoyed racing in this league, it was the first league I joined, and the event time was reasonably good time for me ( 2PM eastern time, most folks in the league were in Europe, so for them it was like 7 or 8PM )

Now, I'm a driver who can at times beat the AI when set to 100%, but it typically takes me many hours of practice with a car at a particular track to do that. There are some tracks I can beat AI at 100% for an entire 1 hour race, but it takes every bit of concentration I have to do that. So, I'm not exactly a beginner. I love to race, with clean drivers, would prefer to race with people of similar caliber to myself to where I might have a chance of winning a race or two here and there. But I really don't mind running middle of the pack either. I'll be honest, I don't like being near the back, week after week after week either. I have now driven in 3 leagues... the one I mentioned above, where I could occasionally have a chance at winning... another league where I was running 10 or 12th out of a 16 car field ( at least 6 guys who could beat AI at 100% in their sleep and run with AI at 120% when they are awake ), and a third league that I still race in, where I'm currently typically running somewhere between position 10 and 5 at most races we've been running, a great group of guys and 4 or 5 of them can easily beat AI at 100%, 2 or 3 of them can probably beat AI at 120%

Anyway... I'd like to extend a invitation to others , who maybe aren't 120% capable... but can probably beat 80% with reasonable practice in a car/track. Or, just want to race clean and maybe learn from each other and have fun. I don't mind an occasional race in the wet, but I really would prefer racing to be in 'good' conditions, not too cold, not too hot, and for sure not to wet.

I'm open to ideas on how we can make a league work well for people like me, or maybe people who are even a bit slower, and I don't mind some guys who are faster than me either... The exact format is open for discussion , but I would prefer to not run open wheel, as races never seem to go very well those of us who aren't GREAT drivers. I wouldn't mind changing car types every now and then, but I think it's best to keep driving the same type of car for at least 5 to 6 weeks so that we wouldn't have to constantly learn how to drive another class of car. I also lean toward running a relatively small number of tracks, for the same reason... so that drivers can actually learn how to drive those tracks reasonably well, and not have to learn a new track every week.

Currently, I really like GTE cars, occasionally liked to play around running Group 5, and recently enjoyed LMP900 class of car as well... I could maybe see trying to run cars slightly faster than LMP900, or even maybe something slower than GTE ( or GT3 )...

Please, if your interested in this type of thing, speak up, let's find a way to race and have fun... while also pushing the competitive nature that lives somewhere within us.
    Playstation 4, Playseat Challenge, and Logitech G29 wheel

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    One thing I'd like to explore... some way to try and balance the field. The league I'm running in on Monday afternoons ( 5PM eastern time ) , is going to start forcing the guys who are highest in points to take on more fuel than others at a mandatory pit stop. I kinda like the idea behind this, but have not yet seen how it will all work out, or how it will be enforced. I think that whenever there are drivers that are clearly faster than others, there needs to be something done to slow them down a little... how best to do this, is still unknown to me.

I've thought about making a points system, where the high water mark is the lap time of the AI at 100%... if drivers manage lap times that are consistently better than the AI at 100%, they either loose points, or something is done to make them have to work harder to stay up at the top.

While I hesitate to say it, ideally , any driver who can easily run at speeds of AI at 120%, probably ought to go find other guys who can also run that fast... At the same time, I would not want to outright ban anyone like that from being a part of the 'fun'...

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Assuming there's enough interest and this thing gets and stays rolling, what would it be called? "Half Fast" , "Sunday Drivers", "100% fun" ?

To be honest, Sunday afternoons are OK for me, but not great either ( at leas not in summertime )... so exact time/schedule is certainly open for discussion.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Is this same as http://sundaycupleague.wixsite.com/scrn ?

I've been watching their races on YouTube recently, they do a good job and work around bugs and missing features of the game like buggy rolling starts and missing safety car. Very good racing on PS4

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by sas5320 View Post
    Is this same as http://sundaycupleague.wixsite.com/scrn ?

I've been watching their races on YouTube recently, they do a good job and work around bugs and missing features of the game like buggy rolling starts and missing safety car. Very good racing on PS4
    No, I've never heard of that league before you mentioned it. I'll take a look at that , and see what might be learned.

The league that ended, was one that was ran by user here named Shi, apparently he's been running the league since 2008. TBC Online racing league... Shi put a lot of effort into things, I'd only been running in it since beginning of this year, and I REALLY enjoyed it. I think he's gotten frustrated with connection problems that some of us have had , but I also know he's not happy with how fast some of us have been going. He, expected people who were really fast to choose cars that were slower, move on to another league, or otherwise restrain themselves from driving at blistering pace. I myself had a few outings where I managed to drive significantly faster then what he probably wanted from participants. I understand his desire to keep things slower, yet I also don't know of a practical way to prevent people from exploring their need for speed.... I absolutely respect Shi, and while I wish the series wouldn't have ended, I have nothing but total respect for him and even for his decision to shut it down.

I'm not totally sure it's possible to get people to restrain themselves... and their need for speed. However, I also know there's likely a lot of people who are similar to me, who are NEVER going to be capable of running at 120% type speeds... Heck, I know there are a lot of people who probably never going to run at 80% speed. ( I have a hard time running at 80% sometimes, particularly with a new car, or one I don't like, on a track that is new to me, etc... ). No one wants to keep running week after week when a few guys run away with races... So, I would like to find some way to reach some happy place , between say 70 and 110%...

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    hi iggy;i am interested if you think that slower guy like me would fit.as you know i was running mostly middle of the pack as i dont really have time to practice due to work so i would maybe get 10 laps of practice and go into the race.i am driving another league on the PC but at the moment cant participate there due to work and timing of that league so this sundays were everything for me.
    i am interested to join in if we will have enough people on the grid;in the end i am just looking to race clean.its not so important where will i fall into placing wise but would love to have others that are close to my lap times so the race doesnt turn into TT after few laps.in a way i understand shi;with all the respect to faster guys but if you run 5+ sec per lap faster then 80% of the pack and lap everyone in the race for 2-3 laps i really think "you" are too fast as it waters down racing.how to deal with it...hm,very hard;i am not personaly a fan of forcing faster guys to choose slower cars.i personal favor porsche and bmw and i choose them no matter are they the fastest or the slowest in the group.just for the note here;other guys that i am driving with run a multi class;lmp and gt3 in the same race with point for each class and overall.usually there are 5-8 really fast guys that go for lmp and rest go for gt3.races are very interesting as you have constant battles in the clases plus the overtaking of the gts by lmps almost every lap due to their speed.of course you need a proper grid to run a race like that.well...just brain storming.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I don't see why we won't be able to get at least 6 or more of the guys from the previous Sunday league. I personally don't mind a variety of skill levels, about the only thing I don't like in racing , is if people are win at all costs without regard to other driver's own racing... and people who are so bad they can't hold a line... Even with the later class of drivers, I don't really have a problem with people unless they start intentionally interfering with the race of another driver.

In other words... I wouldn't refuse someone just because they weren't able to keep pace with others... as long as they are having fun and not disrupting anyone else, I see no reason to not included them.

I'm in somewhat similar boat in terms of what speed I can go if/when I don't have time to practice. I'd be lucky if I could go to a track I never raced at multiple times , if I could run with AI at 60 or 70%. If it's a track I know well, I can pretty easily beat AI at 80% most of the time... but right now, I suspect there are only about 6 tracks that I know that well.

Anyway, I'd be more than happy if you continue to race with whomever we get together from the old group and anyone else that might want to join in.

Biggest thing I should probably warn people about , is if it turns out I'm the one running the races... I will not likely have very fancy videos of the event... or anything of that nature, at least not initially. Initially, it would really just being about trying to have a schedule prepared so that people know that well in advance where we will race, conditions, length of race... and doing my best to keep track of what positions everyone finished in.
    Last edited by iggy; 05-06-2018 at 18:17.

Platform
    PS4
    What?! Shi completely stopped it all?
    ---
    PSN ID: pyrates2000
    Always looking for clean racers

Platform
    PS4
    Generally speaking I'd be up for it if you have me. Can't 100% commit to Sundays recently unfortunately. So probably a guest driver status. That's why I couldn't make the last couple of races in Shi's league.
    Also GT3 sounds good to me.
    ---
    PSN ID: pyrates2000
    Always looking for clean racers