Thread: Cannot reach top speed in any car.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Cannot reach top speed in any car.

I have been racing at classic Le Mans and I cant get the top speed of cars. Most I get get out of 917 LH is 216. I also tried Sauber C9, Le Mans version, and can barely get 200. It supposedly has a top speed of 254. I know I could get faster lap times if I could carry more speed down the Mulsanne.

Platform
    PC
    Try longer gears yet?
    Project CARS 2 Driver Eye Youtube Playlist
    Current Rig: Monitor: Sharp 42" LED | VR: Oculus Rift CV1 | CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.0GHz | GPU:STRIX 1080TI OC | MB: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING | Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + WD BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 3200MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: EVGA 850W G2 80+GOLD
    Hardware: Wheel: FAN PC HUB | Pedals: FAN V2 | Rim: FAN GT US

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Some cars now have a special default setup available for tracks like Le Mans. Low downforce etc. It's called LM, I think.
    Thrustmaster TX, Italia 458 wheel, 2 pedals, Firmware 53, XBox One OG, Samsung P2350 monitor

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhitish View Post
    I have been racing at classic Le Mans and I cant get the top speed of cars. Most I get get out of 917 LH is 216. I also tried Sauber C9, Le Mans version, and can barely get 200. It supposedly has a top speed of 254. I know I could get faster lap times if I could carry more speed down the Mulsanne.
    I am having the same exact problem driving several cars on classic LeMans. I had the race engineer to change the gears and the downforce and it has only helped by 2-3 mph. I can only barely top 200 on the long straight even though the cars has a top capable speed of around 240. It makes for a real bummer.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I've topped out the 917LH at 239 on the Mulsanne. I used the default LM setup, and the only changes I made were to the front ARB to make it a little stiffer. Even if you shift a little late, you should top out 5th gear before you hit the kink.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Maskmagog View Post
    Some cars now have a special default setup available for tracks like Le Mans. Low downforce etc. It's called LM, I think.
    So do I need to load a setup that is named LM?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by buick87gn View Post
    So do I need to load a setup that is named LM?
    It's optional. But as I understand it the LM setups that are available for some cars, are tailor made to fit tracks like Le Mans and to reach high top speeds. So I'd say yes, try it.
    Thrustmaster TX, Italia 458 wheel, 2 pedals, Firmware 53, XBox One OG, Samsung P2350 monitor
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Maskmagog View Post
    It's optional. But as I understand it the LM setups that are available for some cars, are tailor made to fit tracks like Le Mans and to reach high top speeds. So I'd say yes, try it.
    Thanks for the info and I will try and see if it helps any.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Remove all df, close rads and brake ducts, increase tyre pressure and you should get close with right gearing.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I think i've played more than anybody at Le Mans since the game came out. If you study closely the correlation between user, top speeds and AI, you can see:

- At release the AI was unreal in terms of grip at Porsche Curves (now it's balanced)

- The AI clearly changes setup under 80% (they are faster than the user): if you trying the default setups changing only fuel they are faster on straights

- I don't know if it's due to the less complicated physics, a previous default setup or they are simply changing setup even under 80% (the last one might be the correct answer because the user has better grip on default setups at Porsche Curves): essentially without touching anything under 80% (where they shouldn't change setup), you beat them on lap times but you see crazy things on straight

- Initially i thought it was the simplified physics but now i think it's a setup issue (in multiple hours races tested on default setup the user improves lap after lap on straights: radiator? Maybe they just have it closer so they get more engine damage going forward? It could be the reason but they are still slower accelerating and have less downforce

- Everything is mitigated on cars that have the LM setuo once you use it

-If you change setups and play over 80% (where the ai officially changes setups) everything is fine

Sooooo...to answer the question...you have to do all of the things already mentioned...but if your question was AI-related everything is more complicated....

Hope to have some feedback from experienced users and LM fans. The base LMP1/2 AI behaviour is very strange at Le Mans...