Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 24 hours of Le Mans Discussion Thread

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by breyzipp View Post
    I haven't seen a race yet but what happened? A privateer LMP1 got first and they will get BOP'ed back behind Toyota?
    Toyota were quickest at Spa but essentially yes.The privateers were promised parity with hybrids which means the quickest hybrid must be equal to the quickest privateer.However,since Toyota are the only Hybrid they must have the equal quickest car.Also,Toyota,despite having a 9L reduction in fuel tank size can go 11 laps compared to the privateers 10,which will equate to 3 pit stops over the 24 hours.
    The following user likes this Post: breyzipp

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Scrutineering is over.Next up:Autograph session on Tuseday.

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    This is my opinion about this.

The FIA/ACO had to appease Toyota's request to close the gap. This was a demand of theirs to stay.
    http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish...c?iid=sr-link1
    https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/...ia-aco-957946/

Toyota wanted to stay but only if the non hybrids were made faster so the racing was closer but didn't want to be slowed. They didn't want to not be able to develop more so they could go faster but in the end agreed to stay the same performance. So what they did was reduce the the ability of the Toyota to go from 14 laps to 11 laps. This is one more lap than the non hybrids at 10 laps. They also are making the Toyota stay in the pit much longer than needed. Just under 30 extra seconds if I remember right which about 8 seconds faster than the non hybrid. The entire goal was give the hybrids a .5 second advantage on track and keep a advantage in pitting. We all know how hard BOP is so to think they would be able to bridge technologies to .5 seconds was a stretch they haven't delivered on yet but we don't know what will happen at Lemans.

Also, no parity was promised. This is what was said, "Definitely we have agreed to have the non-hybrids cars a bit closer, but not at the same pace. Again, from our point of view, it doesn't make sense." That's a admission from Toyota that is it wasn't prepared to agree to lap time parity for privateers running to a different rule book.

Lets also not forget the non hybrids got a big bump last year in aero to be able to get closer to the hybrids. At the same time they gave Porsche and Toyota a 30% reduction in aero they were forced to deal with.

The penalty talk if they are faster was centered around data which was all they had to do the original EOT. Basically saying if you sandbag the data we will hit you with a penalty. It was nothing more than tha even though articles made it look like Toyota was the bad guy (maybe a shot by ACO?). That is something we all agree with I'm sure. Although If they didn't penalize Ford for their sandbagging few years ago I doubt they would anyone. The press and tag lines for this made Toyota look petty but this was part of the balancing process and no different than any other class, especially when you have such limited data on the non hybrids.

Keep in mind that Toyota is saving the FIA/ACO here not the other way around. Who has egg on their face if they have no hybrids in the hybrid era? I'm sure they would of tried to band-aid something together last fall and no telling what we would of ended up with for the super season but no hybrids or major Manufacturer would of been really bad for FIA/ACO. Really bad.

There is no real way of knowing who has the leverage and what they were trying to leverage. We know Toyota wants hybrids to stay for the next regs while many other don't or what spec hybrid. Maybe they are using their selves staying as the leverage?

I do think it will be much closer than most expect. These non hybrids are not out of it. Even if they end up way behind which I seriously doubt that is on the ACO/FIA not Toyota. Can't blame Toyota, I doubt any of us would allow someone to neuter us after we just saved their ass.

The one thing I keep thinking is no one cared one bit last year that hybrids were so much faster than the non hybrids. Or the year before that or the year before......
    Last edited by Fight-Test; 11-06-2018 at 22:35.
    CPU: Intel i7 7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 (4.0) GHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 2400 Mhz | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX H270F Gaming LGA | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | ISSD: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | VR: Oculus Rift | Controller: Fanatec v2.5 w/ Formula Rim (Creosim Paddles) & V3 Pedals| RIG: 4Play 80/20 Custom | MISC: Hyper X Headset & Behringer Xenyx 502 Mixer
    The following 3 users likes this Post: AbeWoz, ELAhrairah, Silraed

Platform
    PC
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: Tank621

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fight-Test View Post
    Keep in mind that Toyota is saving the FIA/ACO here not the other way around. Who has egg on their face if they have no hybrids in the hybrid era? I'm sure they would of tried to band-aid something together last fall and no telling what we would of ended up with for the super season but no hybrids or major Manufacturer would of been really bad for FIA/ACO. Really bad.

There is no real way of knowing who has the leverage and what they were trying to leverage. We know Toyota wants hybrids to stay for the next regs while many other don't or what spec hybrid. Maybe they are using their selves staying as the leverage?

I do think it will be much closer than most expect. These non hybrids are not out of it. Even if they end up way behind which I seriously doubt that is on the ACO/FIA not Toyota. Can't blame Toyota, I doubt any of us would allow someone to neuter us after we just saved their ass.

The one thing I keep thinking is no one cared one bit last year that hybrids were so much faster than the non hybrids. Or the year before that or the year before......
    This is exactly the point I was making. Le Mans without a manufacturer running at the front is unprecedented, especially in such a brand-conscious era that we're in right now. I have no doubt that the WEC would have collapsed had Toyota left, FIA rules don't allow for a championship without manufacturers. Le Mans would still have happened in some way shape or form, but it would have been a much weaker race without Toyota.

Not only have Toyota saved WEC, they've done everything they can to add to the championship by signing one of the most popular drivers in the world today in Fernando Alonso, when they could easily have put a young up-and-coming Japanese driver in that seat, or stuck with the reliable Anthony Davidson, at a much lower cost. Given the heartache of 2016, and their long-term commitment to Le Mans (they were competing in the 90's lets not forget), I wouldn't begrudge them any win on La Sarthe.
    ...You've seen how I react to people, make them feel good, make them think that anything's possible. If I make them laugh along the way, sue me. And I don't do it so they turn round and go 'Thank you David for the opportunity, thank you for the wisdom, thank you for the laughs.' I do it so, one day, someone will go 'There goes David Brent. I must remember to thank him.'
    The following user likes this Post: ELAhrairah

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewy32 View Post
    Toyota were quickest at Spa but essentially yes.The privateers were promised parity with hybrids which means the quickest hybrid must be equal to the quickest privateer.However,since Toyota are the only Hybrid they must have the equal quickest car.Also,Toyota,despite having a 9L reduction in fuel tank size can go 11 laps compared to the privateers 10,which will equate to 3 pit stops over the 24 hours.
    Which equates to them in all reality NOT being equal at all its the FIA and ACO's way of Rigging a race ill be watching the race but only to support LMP2 GTE and GTE AM
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Ayrton Senna - “If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver”
    Steam ID: Dault3883 If u add me on steam send message on forum with ur steam id. If i dont know who the steam friend request belongs to i will ignore it.

Platform
    PC
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | 2x EVGA GTX 970 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | 2x Buttkickers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    does anyone know which youtube channel will be streaming todays(Wednesday)session,Thursdays sessions and the race its self on Saturday as i would like to watch it and i will even post the link on social media so other people can then watch it as well.thanks

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by xVampirAx View Post
    does anyone know which youtube channel will be streaming todays(Wednesday)session,Thursdays sessions and the race its self on Saturday as i would like to watch it and i will even post the link on social media so other people can then watch it as well.thanks
    https://www.reddit.com/r/motorsports...mans_practice/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVbvBn6h-7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTjpYkUA0xA
    Last edited by ELAhrairah; 13-06-2018 at 14:02.

Platform
    PC
    Well just a few hours until FP1. Time for me to do some groceries, buy some beers, and back on time for a nice cup of coffee and the opening of, for me personally, the greatest race week of the year!